105 replies to this topic

#1 mdak06

mdak06
  • Members
  • 198 posts
  • LocationBethany Beach, DE

Posted 14 August 2014 - 06:49 PM

Please, Mr. New MLB Commissioner:

* Implement an "8 & 8" pitch count rule (for bases empty): 8 seconds for the batter to get ready, 8 more seconds for the pitcher to pitch. After the batter's 8 seconds are up, the pitcher can pitch, even if the batter is goofing off. Don't let the umps call time for the batter/pitcher once the batter's ready unless there's a legitimate reason to do so.

* Limit the number of timeouts where someone pays a visit to the mound. First nine innings, 3 coach visits (45 seconds each) and 3 catcher visits (15 seconds each). A manager replacing a pitcher doesn't count. In extras, add 2 more of each for the first 6 extra innings (and then repeat if necessary).

* Limit relief pitchers to a one-minute warmup. (I think this is already a rule but I don't think it's enforced).

* Set a salary floor. Make it 40% of the luxury tax threshold (give or take). (FWIW, this would probably only affect two teams - Houston & Miami - this year. Maybe Pittsburgh too.)

* Get the Athletics settled. Somewhere. Don't care if it's Oakland, San Jose, Portland, Vancouver, Montreal, whatever ... the mess out west has gone on way too long.

* Fix replay. Some of these reviews are taking 3-5 minutes ... how is that possible if a play can theoretically be ruled "inconclusive?"

* Fire umpires who suck. Find guys who can call the strike zone correctly.

• Russ and SammyBirdland like this

#2 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 08:09 PM

Something needs to be done about coming out and stalling to decide if you want to challenge or not.  Maybe ring a bell from the dugout or something.

¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#3 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,100 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 08:26 PM

I think the complaining about length of game is overstated. Clocking pitchets and hitters will never work, tried it before and it was a failure.<br /><br />I mean are more people really going to watch games if they average 2:55 instead of 3:05 or whatever the proposed time saving is?

#4 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 08:31 PM

I think the complaining about length of game is overstated. Clocking pitchets and hitters will never work, tried it before and it was a failure. I mean are more people really going to watch games if they average 2:55 instead of 3:05 or whatever the proposed time saving is?

I don't think the problem is necessarily the overall time, but the number of dead periods in a game.

#5 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 14 August 2014 - 08:34 PM

The first three points will have absolutely no real effect on the time of games, because it's ignoring the real problem. Like using a Tide-To-Go pen to get the blood out of your shirt while ignoring the spurting wound underneath.

No salary floor. Teams should have the choice to spend what they want on players, be it $12.5 million or $300 million. However, all of the restrictions placed on acquiring amateur talent over the past few years--the spending limits in the draft and international free agency--should be eliminated.

They do need to do something about replay. There's no reason that people specifically trained to do the job, in one place in New York, should be taking that long. And if there is a "reason", it needs to be fixed immediately.

I'm fully behind firing umpires. More than that, though, MLB ought to take over umpire development.

@DJ_McCann

#6 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 14 August 2014 - 08:39 PM

Please, Mr. New MLB Commissioner:

* Implement an "8 & 8" pitch count rule (for bases empty): 8 seconds for the batter to get ready, 8 more seconds for the pitcher to pitch. After the batter's 8 seconds are up, the pitcher can pitch, even if the batter is goofing off. Don't let the umps call time for the batter/pitcher once the batter's ready unless there's a legitimate reason to do so.

* Limit the number of timeouts where someone pays a visit to the mound. First nine innings, 3 coach visits (45 seconds each) and 3 catcher visits (15 seconds each). A manager replacing a pitcher doesn't count. In extras, add 2 more of each for the first 6 extra innings (and then repeat if necessary).

* Limit relief pitchers to a one-minute warmup. (I think this is already a rule but I don't think it's enforced).

* Set a salary floor. Make it 40% of the luxury tax threshold (give or take). (FWIW, this would probably only affect two teams - Houston & Miami - this year. Maybe Pittsburgh too.)

* Get the Athletics settled. Somewhere. Don't care if it's Oakland, San Jose, Portland, Vancouver, Montreal, whatever ... the mess out west has gone on way too long.

* Fix replay. Some of these reviews are taking 3-5 minutes ... how is that possible if a play can theoretically be ruled "inconclusive?"

* Fire umpires who suck. Find guys who can call the strike zone correctly.

Don't really care too much about length of game issues; if you don't like baseball, you probably aren't going to watch it if it's 2.5 or 3 hours. We already have the Leo Durocher rule of one visit per inning, don't think this is really necessary to expand on it. I'll agree with you on relief pitcher warmups -- with an obvious exception for emergency relief pitchers -- but I have little issue with it.

If you set a salary floor, you are forcing rebuilding teams to spend. I see the argument for it, but why should Houston spend just for the sake of spending? Shouldn't they be playing cost control players instead of the Josh Willinghams of the world? 

I'll agree with you on the A's situation, ditto for MASN.

In terms of fixing replay, think it's better than the previous system. You'll never get anything close to a universal consensus. I think it's better to get it right than not right. If you want to put a 90 second cap on it, fine -- just don't complain when they don't get the calls "right." I really don't think it's an issue, you knew it would ruin the rhythm of the game when it was implemented. And how can be inconclusive, I think you're smarter enough to figure that out -- multiple replay angles show different things is one explanation.

Firing terrible umps is cute and everything -- they already do fire bad umps. I think we saw with the replacement refs in football just how much better the professional officiating was from the ametur ones. Every night on BSL there is a common theme especially when the O's are losing -- how bad the umps are. Regardless of sport, regardless of level, there's always going to be incessant whining about the officiating.

@levineps

#7 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 14 August 2014 - 08:42 PM

Something needs to be done about coming out and stalling to decide if you want to challenge or not.  Maybe ring a bell from the dugout or something.

Don't see the way around this one. That's just part of the issues with replay. You can only think about challenging one play an inning? I think it has to be decided in 90 seconds or something but that isn't enforced.

@levineps

#8 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 08:42 PM

Every night on BSL there is a common theme especially when the O's are losing -- how bad the umps are. Regardless of sport, regardless of level, there's always going to be incessant whining about the officiating.

We all wish we had your patience when it comes to bad calls. ;)

¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#9 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 14 August 2014 - 08:43 PM

I don't think the problem is necessarily the overall time, but the number of dead periods in a game.

Baseball survived for 150 years with those "dead periods".

The issue is too many ads.

@DJ_McCann

#10 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 08:44 PM

Baseball survived for 150 years with those "dead periods".   The issue is too many ads.
With Girardi making pitching changes down by 7 with two outs in the bottom of the 8th kind of dead periods? No, baseball hasn't.

#11 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 14 August 2014 - 08:46 PM

It's also good to blame the umps instead of just saying your team lost -- it deflects from the problem at hand.

Maybe officiating is just harder than most people realize and firing umps/refs just for the sake of it isn't a better solution. Yes, I know the robot suggestions. But short of that with actual humans, these guys are probably are best option. No they aren't perfect.

@levineps

#12 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,651 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 14 August 2014 - 08:47 PM

1) put together a committee to figure out the best way to bring the haves and have nots closer together. I've said it before but it's ridiculous that some teams' total payroll equals ARods salary. Find a solution and implement it.

2) Pete Rose belongs in the HOF

3) Tampa gets their act together and builds a real stadium or they move to Montreal.

4) get Montreal a team.

5) obviously the all-star game should not determine WS home field advantage!

6) David Ortiz gets tested every week. Do it on Thursdays or Mondays when most teams are off so he has to come into the park.

7) please please please bag the unbalanced schedule. The Orioles played as many games at Detroit this year as they did at Milwaukee.

8) Astros to NL central. Brewers come home to the AL.

You're welcome. In return id like front row seats to any MLB game I attend. I want a cool pass and everything.
  • SammyBirdland likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#13 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 08:48 PM

It's also good to blame the umps instead of just saying your team lost -- it deflects from the problem at hand.   Maybe officiating is just harder than most people realize and firing umps/refs just for the sake of it isn't a better solution. Yes, I know the robot suggestions. But short of that with actual humans, these guys are probably are best option. No they aren't perfect.
I think he's just saying it's time to fire CB Bucknor, Laz Diaz, and Angel Hernandez.

#14 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 08:49 PM

It's also good to blame the umps instead of just saying your team lost -- it deflects from the problem at hand.

Maybe officiating is just harder than most people realize and firing umps/refs just for the sake of it isn't a better solution. Yes, I know the robot suggestions. But short of that with actual humans, these guys are probably are best option. No they aren't perfect.

What if the ump didn't cause our team to lose, but he's making a lot of annoying mistakes?   Is it ok to complain then?

My job is hard, too.  If I make a lot of mistakes, I should be disciplined or be assigned prescriptive training.  If I continue to make mistakes, I should be terminated.

¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#15 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 14 August 2014 - 08:50 PM

Enforce the rules and the game goes faster...and/or use technology for balls and strikes.

DH in both leagues.

Change HOF process.

Reinstate pete Rose.

HF advantage for best recording WS.

Some more thoughts from Matt Snyder of CBs, who was a guest tonight on our show:

http://www.cbssports...ner-rob-manfred

#16 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,651 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 08:51 PM

Oh and more accountability for these garbage umps. I dont care if you have to lock all of them out and put scabs in there until you have more freedom to fire the awful ones. It really couldn't be much worse. I know it's hackneyed to complain about officiating but the umps this year are worse than I can ever remember.
  • SportsGuy likes this

@bopper33

#17 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Oh and more accountability for these garbage umps. I dont care if you have to lock all of them out and put scabs in there until you have more freedom to fire the awful ones. It really couldn't be much worse. I know it's hackneyed to complain about officiating but the umps this year are worse than I can ever remember.

I brought this up tonight. Damn unions!!!

#18 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,651 posts

What if the ump didn't cause our team to lose, but he's making a lot of annoying mistakes? Is it ok to complain then?

My job is hard, too. If I make a lot of mistakes, I should be disciplined or be assigned prescriptive training. If I continue to make mistakes, I should be terminated.

You should unionize!!
  • Russ and SammyBirdland like this

@bopper33

#19 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 14 August 2014 - 08:52 PM

Fwiw, Mike and I had a long discussion about this tonight, including our interview with Snyder.

#20 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 14 August 2014 - 08:53 PM

What if the ump didn't cause our team to lose, but he's making a lot of annoying mistakes?   Is it ok to complain then?

My job is hard, too.  If I make a lot of mistakes, I should be disciplined or be assigned prescriptive training.  If I continue to make mistakes, I should be terminated.

No matter what system is in place for officiating, people are going to complain. 

If you think you can get better umpires, yes, they should be fired. They actually already do that, maybe not to the extent that you want.

@levineps

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=