4194 replies to this topic

#1681 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,973 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 04:01 PM

I've been meaning to do it for years, but I finally got around to cancelling my plus membership at OH.  So now I'm $36/year richer!

• JeremyStrain, Russ and mweb08 like this

#1682 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts
  • LocationIn-N-Out Sucks, CA

Posted 22 June 2015 - 04:13 PM

Tried our hand at cooking ribs for the first time last night and they came out absolutely spectacular.
  • Russ, DuffMan and Mike in STL like this

Lemme get two claps and a Ric Flair

#1683 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 22 June 2015 - 04:37 PM

I've been meaning to do it for years, but I finally got around to cancelling my plus membership at OH.  So now I'm $36/year richer!

And even better, he's $36/year poorer!

• Nigel Tufnel and RShack like this
@DJ_McCann

#1684 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,003 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 04:54 PM

Tried our hand at cooking ribs for the first time last night and they came out absolutely spectacular.

How'd you do them?

#1685 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 06:05 PM

How'd you do them?

Wife did the rub so I don't know the exact specifics (I think she used Everglades seasoning with some paprika and other spices), then we wrapped 'em in foil and put 'em on the grill, low heat, for about 30 minutes for each side.  Took the foil off and put 'em back on the grill, with the heat turned up a little hotter to get some char on the meat and put the sauce on 'em.

• Russ likes this

#1686 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,003 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 09:29 AM

Wife did the rub so I don't know the exact specifics (I think she used Everglades seasoning with some paprika and other spices), then we wrapped 'em in foil and put 'em on the grill, low heat, for about 30 minutes for each side.  Took the foil off and put 'em back on the grill, with the heat turned up a little hotter to get some char on the meat and put the sauce on 'em.

Surprised you got them tender with just an hour and change on the grill, but awesome that it worked out.  I hope to step my rib game up soon.  I've done them before and usually am quite happy, but I'm getting some things to help me convert my Weber grill to a smoker, and a rack to hold several racks of ribs, so that'll be something I try to get into.

Baby back ribs are pricey though.  Gonna need to find a hookup that isn't $5/lb or more.  Maybe Costco or BJs?

#1687 PatrickDougherty

PatrickDougherty

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,204 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 02:07 PM

1. Was (somehow, inexplicably) named to the Daily Record's VIP list that celebrates people who are successful before 40

2. Figured out how to get the sum of the euclidean distances between each establishment in a list and each hospital in the state to determine which companies are located nearest the most hospitals (presumably a positive, agglomeration benefits and all that) in miles. So pumped.

• You Play to Win the Game, Russ, SammyBirdland and 4 others like this
@pjd0014
I'm trying to be better about sharing code for reuse: Github

#1688 PatrickDougherty

PatrickDougherty

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,204 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 02:08 PM

Surprised you got them tender with just an hour and change on the grill, but awesome that it worked out.  I hope to step my rib game up soon.  I've done them before and usually am quite happy, but I'm getting some things to help me convert my Weber grill to a smoker, and a rack to hold several racks of ribs, so that'll be something I try to get into.

Baby back ribs are pricey though.  Gonna need to find a hookup that isn't $5/lb or more.  Maybe Costco or BJs?

I got a rack from Harris Teeter for like $10 or something like that. Tossed them in the crockpot with some onions, garlic, and water, and 8 hours later threw some BBQ sauce on them and put them in the oven for 15 minutes. That meat literally fell off the bone.

• Russ likes this
@pjd0014

#1689 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,538 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 25 June 2015 - 02:09 PM

My head hurts just thinking about how you were able to do #2... but that's awesome. Congrats Patrick!

#1690 PatrickDougherty

PatrickDougherty

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,204 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 02:10 PM

My head hurts just thinking about how you were able to do #2... but that's awesome. Congrats Patrick!

Thanks! Easier than you think, but getting it into a real unit for explanatory purposes was a brain teaser.

@pjd0014

#1691 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 02:11 PM

1. Was (somehow, inexplicably) named to the Daily Record's VIP list that celebrates people who are successful before 40

2. Figured out how to get the sum of the euclidean distances between each establishment in a list and each hospital in the state to determine which companies are located nearest the most hospitals (presumably a positive, agglomeration benefits and all that) in miles. So pumped.

0akBsVo.gif

• You Play to Win the Game, DJ MC, Mike in STL and 1 other like this
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#1692 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 02:27 PM

I got a rack from Harris Teeter for like $10 or something like that. Tossed them in the crockpot with some onions, garlic, and water, and 8 hours later threw some BBQ sauce on them and put them in the oven for 15 minutes. That meat literally fell off the bone.

Yeah we got our whole rack at Sprouts (think Whole Foods but a whole lot less pretentious) for around $9.00 so that was why we figured we'd try our hand at it.  We did check out Costco and at the time it seemed like too much ribs for just us 2 to use for our first time.  But now with us feeling confident we may get some more at Costco this weekend.

Also saw that ribs are on sale at like 1/2 of our grocery stores so either way we are definitely doing ribs again this weekend. 

#1693 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,538 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 25 June 2015 - 02:29 PM

Just heard this morning that Whole Foods is under investigation in New York for over 800 instances of having less food in pre-packaged containers than stated.

Apparently they had already been dinged for this elsewhere.

#1694 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 03:01 PM

I'd say that certainly makes you successful...

BTW, are you under 40?

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#1695 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 03:03 PM

It just sounds hard because he threw "Euclidian" in there... (style points...)

• Russ, SammyBirdland and PatrickDougherty like this

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#1696 PatrickDougherty

PatrickDougherty

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,204 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 03:41 PM

I'd say that certainly makes you successful...

BTW, are you under 40?

I am. I'm 24.

@pjd0014

#1697 PatrickDougherty

PatrickDougherty

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,204 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 03:42 PM

It just sounds hard because he threw "Euclidian" in there... (style points...)

For sure! It's the distance-between-points formula everyone learned in algebra. But some people here might have wanted to know, since you can calculate the distance between points in a ton of different ways.

@pjd0014

#1698 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 03:48 PM

For sure! It's the distance-between-points formula everyone learned in algebra. But some people here might have wanted to know, since you can calculate the distance between points in a ton of different ways.

I'm guessing that made it easier... did it?

#1699 PatrickDougherty

PatrickDougherty

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,204 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 03:53 PM

Not really. When you're working with map coordinates and you want to use a Great Circle formula (which relies on euclidean distances), you have to also convert all of your map coordinates to Cartesian coordinates first.

If you want to get an even better estimate of distance between two locations, you have to scrap the whole Great Circle thing since Earth is an oval and get into some more complex formulas. Since all of my locations are in Maryland, a circle is a pretty solid assumption.

@pjd0014

#1700 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 03:53 PM

It certainly made it more euclidian.

• PatrickDougherty likes this
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=