#1181 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 29 January 2015 - 10:58 PM

Some say the diet sodas are also quite bad for you. 

I don't drink them (I've found pretty much all artificial sweeteners I've tried to be absolutely revolting), but from what I've heard they deaden your sense of taste so that you end up needing more "sweetness" to taste it elsewhere. So you end up eating more sweets elsewhere to make up for it.

@DJ_McCann

#1182 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 10:59 PM

But seriously, I don't know all the specifics. I also very rarely drink soda even though I did growing up. Once I moved out, I rarely bought soda to have at home, but would still drink it a lot at fast food places. Now, I rarely go to fast food places, and don't always get soda when I do. 

Save the unhealthy drinking for beer. 

Beer's WAY better for you than soda.

• DuffMan likes this
@DJ_McCann

#1183 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 29 January 2015 - 11:02 PM

So, in an effort to try to be healthier, I'm cutting out all sugary drinks. This includes Coke, which I LOVE (especially cherry coke). I never thought it would work, but I find I'm developing an affinity for Coke zero and, even better, unsweetened iced tea with lemon.

Fat doesn't make you fat. Sugar does.

@fuzydunlop

#1184 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 29 January 2015 - 11:03 PM

Yea I have heard that too.

I know some are skeptical of the "zero" sodas with what is in them.

Still, if you have/want to drink soda, they are still the better way to go.

Personally, I try not to drink much soda. I don't even know the last time I had a regular coke..which sucks because they are awesome but so bad for you.

#1185 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 11:03 PM

They are bad for you, and it's not iffy... the FDA actually banned the sweetener that's in most of them (Aspartame, aka Nutrasweet, aka Equal) due to research showing it causes brain tumors (which is only one of the several bad things it does)...

But then that company hired Donald Rumsfeld as its CEO, and he went to DC and got them to approve it anyway... (No, I am not making this up....)

http://rense.com/general33/legal.htm

http://articles.merc...-diet-soda.aspx

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#1186 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,609 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 29 January 2015 - 11:06 PM

Fat doesn't make you fat? Huh?

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#1187 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,609 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 29 January 2015 - 11:08 PM

So I guess iced tea with just lemon it is. Unless lemons are bad for you too. Wouldn't shock me. You can't eat or drink anything these days.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#1188 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

Half-Member, Half-Amazing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 29 January 2015 - 11:08 PM

I've been low-carb since mid September. No pasta, no breads, no starches, avoid sugar, bourbon+ club soda instead of beer. I've gone from almost 300 to 255 in that time frame. Weight just melted off for a while. It's not as daunting when you get a week or two in, just becomes habit. You can do worse than meat, cheese, and vegetables. I'll "cheat" every now and then, but no binges. Worth a shot for anyone trying to lose weight.
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

#1189 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 11:10 PM

Yea but that's in terms of possibly getting cancer right? Not in terms of diet/caloric intake...

They are *as bad, or maybe even worse* for you, in terms of weight gain, than are sugary sodas... this is because the fake sweetener tricks your brain by doing a biochemical thing that fools you into thinking you need to eat lots of high calorie stuff... so, while diet soda itself saves on calories vs. regular soda, it causes people to load up on high-calorie bad food... Scientific American explained how this happens, but I forget the details...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#1190 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 11:12 PM

Fat is your body's stored energy, which comes into your body in the form of sugars and starches (basically, carbs). So eating the fat of another animal, or the oil from a plant, isn't going to simply make you further fat on its own.

@DJ_McCann

#1191 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 29 January 2015 - 11:12 PM

Yeah that came out wrong. I'm not suggesting that no one cares about cancer, I was just verifying.

I was just joking. 

#1192 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 11:13 PM

I've been low-carb since mid September. No pasta, no breads, no starches, avoid sugar, bourbon+ club soda instead of beer. I've gone from almost 300 to 255 in that time frame. Weight just melted off for a while. It's not as daunting when you get a week or two in, just becomes habit. You can do worse than meat, cheese, and vegetables. I'll "cheat" every now and then, but no binges. Worth a shot for anyone trying to lose weight.

I went from 245 to 215 in a month just drinking water and eating a lot of tuna fish and fresh veggies. Was also working out daily but the change in diet was the big difference. 

So I guess iced tea with just lemon it is. Unless lemons are bad for you too. Wouldn't shock me. You can't eat or drink anything these days.

I hate plain water. Not an iced tea guy either. I force myself to drink 7 pints of water a day. Im telling you man. Just do it. You'll only eat when you're hungry,  you'll be hydrated, you'll have more energy. 

• Icterus galbula likes this

#1193 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 29 January 2015 - 11:13 PM

Well it can, but sugars use way less energy to digest and are quicker to store.

#1194 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,496 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 29 January 2015 - 11:15 PM

Beer's WAY better for you than soda.

Been saying that for years! Sooner or later, some damn study is gonna prove me right on that!

#1195 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 29 January 2015 - 11:15 PM

What I have found is counting calories works the best.

There is an app...my fitness pal. It's really good, you input your data, say how much weight you want to lose and it tells you what you need to do and you can log in your food each day. Plus, you can find out how many calories certain foods have.

You have to be careful what you totally cut out...moderation is key.

#1196 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 29 January 2015 - 11:18 PM

I went from 245 to 215 in a month just drinking water and eating a lot of tuna fish and fresh veggies. Was also working out daily but the change in diet was the big difference.

I hate plain water. Not an iced tea guy either. I force myself to drink 7 pints of water a day. Im telling you man. Just do it. You'll only eat when you're hungry,  you'll be hydrated, you'll have more energy. 

Yeah, input (what you eat) is definitely more important than output (exercise) when it comes to losing weight.

#1197 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 29 January 2015 - 11:19 PM

Yeah, input (what you eat) is definitely more important than output (exercise) when it comes to losing weight.

Absolutely.

Exercising allows you to eat more if you want.

#1198 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 11:22 PM

The thing is, when you eat and drink right it makes working out become second nature. When I get in trouble its when the sugar, carbs, etc dehydrate me and bog me down. Without a doubt, proper diet changes your energy level and mental outlook. I know we talked about this in the depression thread too. 

#1199 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 29 January 2015 - 11:28 PM

Read Gabe Kaplers blog. It's so insightful.

@fuzydunlop

#1200 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 29 January 2015 - 11:38 PM

e136769682abd502f872a758086c2027.jpg

A bar in Oakland straight up trolling my soft spots for tips.
  • BSLMikeLowe likes this

@fuzydunlop

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=