#1 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,635 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 15 January 2015 - 12:02 PM

Do you think your opinion of the sport and your viewership would be any different if the Bullets never left Baltimore or if Baltimore somehow miraculously built an arena and a team moved there?

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#2 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,684 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 12:13 PM

Yes, definitely.

I follow the Wizards, and root for them to do well because they're the closest team and they've been terrible for the last 20 or so years. I don't watch much of their games until the postseason and I'd probably go to a game or two throughout the season.

If we got an NBA team I'd probably watch 50% of their games and go to 5-10 games a year.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#3 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 15 January 2015 - 12:15 PM

Yes.

I've always been right on the border area between being a real basketball (particularly NBA) fan and not being one at all. I do enjoy watching the sport, and I've been on both sides of that line at times over the years. I just haven't had the level of investment necessary.

My dad was a huge Bullets fan growing up. Basketball is still, I believe, his first love among sports. He would go to as many games at the Civic Center as he would Orioles games at Memorial (and he lived a lot closer to the stadium). But when they left, even though he never really lost his love for the Bullets/Wizards entirely, it definitely faded away. He only took me to one game as a kid, at the Cap Center, and never went to another until I started getting tickets for us the past couple years. Each time we've gone, though, I can tell how much he enjoys it.

I think that if the Bullets had stayed on this side of Columbia, I would have been much more invested in the team growing up and I would have a much deeper love for the sport than I do today.

@DJ_McCann

#4 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 02:25 PM

Absolutely - though I think I'd be far more inclined to root for an expansion team than a team from another city.  I haven't done so well with that transition in football.

(Same for hockey, BTW.)

#5 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,252 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 15 January 2015 - 03:38 PM

Yes absolutely.

#6 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,635 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 03:40 PM

Man, the Wiz are so good right now and even now sometimes the arena doesn't sell out.  BMore is a much better sports town than DC.  If they were up here the arena would be rocking!

Also, games would be a lot easier for me to get to!

@bopper33

#7 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 15 January 2015 - 03:43 PM

I was in the "College Hoops is better" camp for a LONG time, and honestly, it was Simmons "Book of Basketball" that brought me back to the NBA, whatever year that was out. 

Now I realize it's not even close, in fact, at times  it looks like the College kids are playing a different sport. 

The pageantry of College Basketball (certain atmospheres) is awesome, and of course the tournament too. but the level of play is getting increasingly worse each season. 

I realize this doesn't answer the question in the Opening post, but whatever. 

• Adam Wolff and KWebz like this
@beginthebegin71

#8 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,635 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 03:46 PM

I was in the "College Hoops is better" camp for a LONG time, and honestly, it was Simmons "Book of Basketball" that brought me back to the NBA, whatever year that was out. 

Now I realize it's not even close, in fact, at times  it looks like the College kids are playing a different sport. 

The pageantry of College Basketball (certain atmospheres) is awesome, and of course the tournament too. but the level of play is getting increasingly worse each season. 

I realize this doesn't answer the question in the Opening post, but whatever. 

It's cool, I'll just have Stoner delete your post.

• SBTarheel and glenn__davis like this

@bopper33

#9 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 03:50 PM

I dislike basketball because my perception is that all the action happens in the last five minutes of the game.  However, if the Wizards were in Baltimore, I would be interested because they would feel like "my" team.

¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#10 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 15 January 2015 - 03:58 PM

It's cool, I'll just have Stoner delete your post.

i would never write "LOL", but i just did. 

@beginthebegin71

#11 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 15 January 2015 - 04:19 PM

No. The insane amount of stoppages kills it for me. Plus, and I'm not making this up, it gives me a headache to watch.

@fuzydunlop

#12 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 04:21 PM

I dont dislike the NBA, but I'd be a huge fan if Baltimore had a team. 

#13 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 04:22 PM

Plus the fact that more than half of the teams make the playoffs kind of makes the regular season pointless.

¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#14 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 04:25 PM

Plus the fact that more than half of the teams make the playoffs kind of makes the regular season pointless.

Hockey and probably soon to be the NFL too. 

#15 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 15 January 2015 - 04:26 PM

No. The insane amount of stoppages kills it for me. Plus, and I'm not making this up, it gives me a headache to watch.

Meaning time outs? 

There's way more action in Basketball than in Baseball or Football I feel like. 

Unless I'm misunderstanding the meaning of "stoppages". 

@beginthebegin71

#16 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 04:32 PM

Meaning time outs? 

I do feel like there is more flow to basketball than the other sports. 

#17 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 15 January 2015 - 04:33 PM

Meaning time outs? 

I'm on my phone so going into detail sucks, but yes. Stoppages includes timeouts. It seems to me, in the NBA more than any other sport, you can turn on the last 3 minutes (which takes an hour) no matter what happened in the first 45 min. It's structured this way seemingly on purpose. I dunno, I hate everything about it. The refs, traveling, it all bothers me.

@fuzydunlop

#18 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 15 January 2015 - 04:36 PM

I'm on my phone so going into detail sucks, but yes. Stoppages includes timeouts. It seems to me, in the NBA more than any other sport, you can turn on the last 3 minutes (which takes an hour) no matter what happened in the first 45 min. It's structured this way seemingly on purpose. I dunno, I hate everything about it. The refs, traveling, it all bothers me.

Fair enough. 

there are absolutely too many time outs at the end of NBA games, but mostly it's just so you can get the ball at half court as opposed some detailed strategy session. Point taken though. 

Speaking of stoppages, I assume you're ok with huddling between every play in football? :)

@beginthebegin71

#19 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 04:40 PM

Football has the huddling in addition to the 3-4 timeouts per quarter. Baseball, I mean do we even have to go into how slow and methodical it is as a game. Basketball has the most flow and action of those 3. I  do get why some feel the game is officiated in a way to encourage comebacks and tight games. 

#20 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 15 January 2015 - 04:43 PM

Football has the huddling in addition to the 3-4 timeouts per quarter. Baseball, I mean do we even have to go into how slow and methodical it is as a game. Basketball has the most flow and action of those 3. I  do get why some feel the game is officiated in a way to encourage comebacks and tight games. 

I can see where people can think Football and Baseball are boring for sure.

I have a hard time with your second point, but will agree that in Basketball stars are treated better than the other sports, official wise. 

@beginthebegin71

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=