#1 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 04:09 PM

http://baltimorespor...one-salary-cap/

What the current cap situation looks like, you're UFA, RFAs, and ERFAs. A look at the depth chart, and why the Ravens should pray for a huge increase in the 2015 salary cap. At least the 7.26% increase that we saw for 2014. Anything less, and the Ravens already tight situation gets squeezed even harder. 

Part two of this series later in the week will focus on how the Ravens can clear up some space. Who can be restructured, released etc...

• BSLChrisStoner, MKlein76, BSLMikeLowe and 1 other like this
@BSLMikeRandall

#2 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 04:19 PM

Have to cut Ngata. Biggest savings on the team. Pretty much no chance of resigning McPhee either.

#3 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,594 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 11 January 2015 - 04:21 PM

Was the new contract with CBS for TNF figured into this season's cap? If so, that might be bad news as far as hoping for a big increase. But if it wasn't, and it doesn't kick in until the 2015 cap, maybe the increase will be even larger than last year's jump.

#4 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 11 January 2015 - 04:38 PM

Have to cut Ngata. Biggest savings on the team. Pretty much no chance of resigning McPhee either.

I would hate to lose him but it is what it is.

We have a very deep front 7 and they will add guys in the draft too.

Hopefully Moore and Urban can comeback healthy too, which will help with that front 7.

#5 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 04:41 PM

Was the new contract with CBS for TNF figured into this season's cap? If so, that might be bad news as far as hoping for a big increase. But if it wasn't, and it doesn't kick in until the 2015 cap, maybe the increase will be even larger than last year's jump.

My understanding was that deal should influence the cap over a three or four year span starting last year.
@BSLMikeRandall

#6 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 11 January 2015 - 04:41 PM

Good article Mike.

I agree that Ngata has to be cut.

With Williams, Jernigan and Urban, you can replace him.

Do they cut Koch? He had a good year this year and Harbs loves his ST.
  • Mike in STL likes this

#7 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,594 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 11 January 2015 - 04:44 PM

My understanding was that deal should influence the cap over a three or four year span starting last year.

OK, and that probably explains why the jump from 2013 to 2014 was so big, since it was the addition of a brand new revenue stream. And unfortunately we probably can't expect that to happen again.

#8 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 05:10 PM

Good article Mike.

I agree that Ngata has to be cut.

With Williams, Jernigan and Urban, you can replace him.

Do they cut Koch? He had a good year this year and Harbs loves his ST.

I have a feeling Koch is safe. His name comes up every year and every year Harbs says he isnt going anywhere.
@BSLMikeRandall

#9 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 06:20 PM

Can we lower Ngata's cap number more through an extension than cutting him? I'm not quite sure if/how that might work but curious if that's something that could be done or not.

Also, aren't we rolling about $5 million in cap space over too? Was that accounted for in your total available cap space general statement?

If Ngata goes I feel like McPhee is back and that's the smarter long term decision for the team to do.

#10 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 06:28 PM

McPhee won't be our priority. Torrey will be.

#11 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 06:36 PM

The other thing that I would add here is that I don't think the Ravens have a ton of places where they need to add for next year (outside of the draft).

I'd be fine with draft pick and depth additions at ILB, OLB, DE, DL, OL, RB. So that leaves WR, CB, S.

We obviously need to add some talent at S and CB. I don't expect splashy, but there are some reasonable guys to be had out there that aren't going to cost a ton. Chris Harris might be the top of the FA class and Denver may not be able to hold onto him. Delmas and Allen intrigue me at S. I think upgrading at SS is the biggest priority and you need a 3rd corner because you can't trust Jackson to stay healthy. Flowers or even a vet like Tillman might not be crazy pricey. I'd like to see this team focus it's spending and any potential attention for a big FA signing in the secondary. A very good CB with the growth of Brooks and having Jackson as the dime guy could make for a very good secondary if Smith comes back healthy.

I think we'll see depth signings at WR and also at CB/S that will be better than Elam/Miles/Levine type of guys once the cuts happen, so we really won't know what we're doing in that direction for a while.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#12 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 06:46 PM

I guess an abbreviated question here is how comfortable are with Brooks and Hill as our starting safeties next year? What about Brown at starting ILB.

If you're comfortable with that and you're willing to draft a CB early to protect depth behind Smith/Webb/Jackson and you add a cheap guy via FA, why can't we keep McPhee and Smith? You should be able to get both guys under the cap for the cut cost of Ngata, Canty, Jones, D. Smith, for one year?

Also is it next year that Flacco's going to be due for an extension? If so, we can have deals that are a bit more plump in 2016 potentially. Especially if Flacco can sign something at that point to help out with the cap space to stay more competitive.

#13 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,257 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 07:07 PM

I'd expect Jacoby Jones to be cut, right? Please? 

#14 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,318 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 07:18 PM

McPhee won't be our priority. Torrey will be.

I hope not.

#15 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 07:26 PM

I hope not.

Me too. I know the cap feels tight but we have less holes, IMO. 

Pitta and Monroe commanded a whopping $6.2 million against the cap last year as our signees. Smith was another $2.1.

If we play the cap right, no reason we can't bring them both back, bring on one more CB (not hugely splashy but not hugely expensive) and be solid heading into next year.

#16 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,301 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 07:29 PM

Ngata will either be extended at a much cheaper number, or he'll be gone. Me personally, I'd say bye-bye. Canty as well. Jacoby should be gone too. Those three will free up something around another 10 million or so. McPhee is more than likely gone. Torrey will be interesting. I take him back on a fair deal, otherwise he would be gone too.

#17 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,257 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 07:31 PM

I'd say bye bye to Ngata, Canty, and Jones if it meant we could keep McPhee. Torrey, I'm torn on. Much rather have McPhee back than Torrey, if it came down to one or the other. I have faith in Marlon Brown, Michael Campanaro, and Kamar Aiken. 

#18 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,318 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 07:33 PM

Me too. I know the cap feels tight but we have less holes, IMO. 

Pitta and Monroe commanded a whopping $6.2 million against the cap last year as our signees. Smith was another $2.1.

If we play the cap right, no reason we can't bring them both back, bring on one more CB (not hugely splashy but not hugely expensive) and be solid heading into next year.

I don't want Torrey back.

• BaltBird 24 likes this

#19 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,257 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 07:42 PM

I like Torrey, but I just don't see that fire or intensity to want to be en elite receiver. Seems like he gives up way too easy on most plays. When he's motivated he can be a beast, like the game after his brother was killed. However, it seems like you only see that Torrey a couple time a year. 

#20 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 07:42 PM

You should want Torrey back and he'll likely be back.
  • Biggsy likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=