• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,312 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 07:50 AM

Summer has just begun, but before you know it; another season of football will be upon us. The University of Maryland begins their 2012 campaign September 1st vs. William & Mary. Over the next several weeks, Baltimore Sports and Life will be providing you thoughts on the Terps, from several analysts.

First up is Steven Lassan, from Athlon Sports. You can Lassan’s work at:

http://www.athlonspo...s/steven-lassan
http://twitter.com/#!/AthlonSteven

Baltimore Sports and Life thanks Mr. Lassan for providing his thoughts.

Baltimore Sports and Life: “In Randy Edsall’s first year as Head Coach of the University of Maryland, Edsall inherited a program which was 9-4 the year prior, including 5-3 in the ACC. The Terps were coming off a Military Bowl victory, been ranked in the Top 25 by both the Coaches, and AP; and were returning the ACC’s Rookie of the Year at QB. The mantra coming out of College Park was that the program wanted to go ‘from good to great.’ In Year 2 of the Edsall era, the Terps are coming off a 2-10 season, including 1-7 in the ACC. The 24 players who have left the program, have left Maryland thin. In numerous interviews, Coach Edsall has talked about the need to tear down, to build up. Will Edsall get to see his vision through, if MD does not go ‘from abysmal to competitive’ in 2012?”

Lassan: “I’m not sure Edsall can survive another 2-10 or 3-9 season. Maryland had too much talent to finish with just two victories, and Edsall is a much better coach than how the season turned out last year. Whenever a new coach takes over at a program, there may be a transition period. But it looks like that transition may take a little longer in College Park. Edsall did a good job on his offensive and defensive coordinator hires, and the program still has plenty of talent to contend for at least six victories. The players didn’t seem to embrace Edsall, which is going to be his biggest task heading into 2012. If Edsall can get the players to embrace his vision, this program will be fine in the long run. However, if the players fail to buy into the vision, the Terrapins are looking at another disappointing year.”

Baltimore Sports and Life: “Mike Locksley has made an immediate impact with the program as a recruiter. As the Offensive Coordinator, Locksley describes his offense as the combination of a 1 back passing attack, a spread run game, and his pro style background. Overall Locksley says his offense is multiple and adaptable. What are your thoughts on Locksley’s addition?”

Lassan: “Locksley is one of the most intriguing offensive coordinator hires for 2012. He had a disastrous tenure as New Mexico’s head coach, but did some good things while working as Illinois’ offensive coordinator. There’s no question Locksley can recruit, but he needs to prove he can adapt to the returning personnel and find a much-needed spark. I think Maryland’s offense will show improvement in 2012, and Locksley’s recruiting prowess will only help upgrade the talent level in future years.”

Baltimore Sports and Life: “The new Defensive Coordinator is Brian Stewart who spent the last two years at Houston as the Cougars Coordinator. Prior to that, Stewart was the DC for the Cowboys in the NFL. Stewart is transitioning the Terps into a 3-4 defense. Do you feel Maryland has upgraded with the addition of Stewart?”

Lassan: “I think this is a huge upgrade for Maryland. Stewart was solid during his stint at Houston, which was not an easy assignment because of the overall offensive firepower in Conference USA. His NFL experience is valuable, and the Terrapins have the personnel to run a 3-4 scheme. Maryland underachieved on defense last season, but should be better in 2012.”

Baltimore Sports and Life: “One benefactor of the 3-4 defense will be AJ Francis (’09 Freshman All-American), who will start at NT, after a bit of a lost year in 2011. Next to him at one DE will be 2x All-ACC Joe Vellano, and on the other end will be a rotation of Keith Bowers, Andre Monroe, Justin Anderson, and Isaiah Ross. There have been reports that the Terps are quickly adapting to the 3-4, and feeling good about their D-line depth. Do you see the D-line as a potential strength for MD?”

Lassan: “Definitely. What has been lost in last year’s struggles was Maryland has some solid pieces on defense. Joe Vellano should be an All-American candidate, but must transition from playing tackle to being a 3-4 end. A.J. Francis and Andre Monroe have talent and should have a good season. Defensive lines are a strength in the ACC, especially since Florida State and Virginia Tech could have two of the best in the nation. With the pieces that the Terrapins have returning, this group could rank among the top six in the conference this year.”

Baltimore Sports and Life: “Kenny Tate was a monster at S (1st team All ACC) as a Junior, before being moved to LB last year. Prior to being lost for the year due to injury, his impact had been negligible. Provided with a Medical Hardship, he is back for 2012 and will be remaining at LB. Would you have moved Tate back to S?”

Lassan: “It’s a tough call on Tate’s position. One of the interesting aspects of defenses in today’s era of college football is the ability to move players around as needed. A lot of defenses play in 4-3 schemes, but a third linebacker is essentially a safety that helps matchup against passing offenses. Tate is an active player around the line of scrimmage, so there’s no doubt he can perform well at either position. Considering the amount of success Tate was having at safety, I would have keep him there and not messed with the defensive chemistry that had been established.”

Baltimore Sports and Life: “Until Tate shows his health, the listed starters at LB are Alex Twine (SAM), Cole Farrand (Mike), Demetrius Hartsfield (MO), and Darin Drakeford (Will). Twine showed plenty of positives as a Freshman. Drakeford has impressed when he can stay on the field. Hartsfield was an Honorable Mention All-ACC. Behind Farrand is LA Goree who was an Honorable Freshman All-American by College Football News. Thoughts on this group?”

Lassan: “This group is very solid and can only get better once Tate rejoins the lineup. Drakeford and Hartsfield are both candidates for All-ACC honors and should thrive in the new 3-4 scheme. The ACC is light on deep linebacking corps this year, and if the pieces fall into place for Maryland, this group could be one of the best in the conference.”

Baltimore Sports and Life: “Dexter McDougle will be one of the starters at CB. The other starter will be AJ Hendy, Jermiah Johnson, or Isaac Goins. Matt Robinson, and Eric Franklin appear to be the starters at Safety. Avery Graham provides further Secondary depth. Can this group be adequate, if the Front 7 gets pressure?”

Lassan: “In a 3-4 scheme, the rest of the defensive success is heavily dependent on the pass rush. The Terrapins’ linebacking corps needs to get after opposing quarterbacks, which would help to eliminate some of the pressure on the secondary. Robinson’s return to the lineup will help and like most areas on Maryland’s team, the secondary should be better in 2012.”

Baltimore Sports and Life: “With O’Brien now at Wisconsin, there is no question that CJ Brown is the starting QB. He started 5 games last year, and showed an ability to create with his legs. He also looked uncomfortable and inaccurate in the pocket. How do you see him fitting into the offense Locksley wants to run?”

Lassan: “Locksley’s offense at Illinois worked with a dual-threat quarterback, which has to make Maryland fans optimistic about Brown’s ability to improve in 2012. With no proven depth behind him, it’s going to be very important to keep the junior quarterback healthy, but also utilize his ability to run. Brown needs help from the players around him, especially in the receiving corps. I don’t think Brown will be one of the ACC’s top six quarterbacks, but he should be better, especially as Locksley builds the offense molds to the offense to his talent.”

Baltimore Sports and Life: “The Offensive-line had a tough Spring (with injuries not helping). Left-to-Right, the starters could be Nick Klemm, Pete Gilbert, Bennett Fulper, Josh Cary, and Justin Gilbert. With Mike Madaras, De’Onte Arnett, Sal Conaboy, and Jake Wheeler as the primary reserves. Any hope for this group? If there are limitations here, what do you think would help them more - A) Utilizing 2 TE’s, and a FB, providing extra blocking, or B) Spreading out the Offense, and pulling the Defense from the box?”

Lassan: “Outside of quarterback play, this unit is Maryland’s biggest question mark. The offensive line will miss tackles R.J. Dill and Max Garcia, but there’s players returning with starting experience. Adjusting to a new scheme always taxes the line, which could cause this unit to get off to a slow start in 2012. Maryland’s best bet for success here would probably be spreading out the offense. Considering Matt Furstenburg and Devonte Campbell can be solid receivers, it would be a mistake to keep both players on the line of scrimmage to block.”

Baltimore Sports and Life: “I thought one of the bright spots of last year, was Furstenburg’s production at TE. I’m a big believer in Campbell’s athletic ability, but he has never received a lot of time. Thoughts on these two?”

Lassan: “I think Furstenburg is a rising star in the ACC. With Clemson’s Dwayne Allen leaving for the NFL, it’s a wide-open battle to be the conference’s top tight end for 2012. It’s important for Brown to settle into the quarterback position, which will help Furstenburg improve upon his numbers this year. Overall, the tight end position should be in good shape for the Terrapins in 2012.”

Baltimore Sports and Life: “The Terps also got production out of their WR’s Kevin Dorsey (45 catches, 573 yards), and Kerry Boykins (37 catches, 430 yards). Marcus Leak opened eyes as a True Freshman. Nigel King, and Devin Burns also have their supporters. However, when Summer Training Camp opens, all eyes will be on Freshman Stefon Diggs. Would it surprise you if Diggs is not starting from Day 1?”

Lassan: “I won’t be surprised if Diggs starts from day one. The receiving corps wasn’t bad last year, but there was room for improvement. Diggs was a huge catch for Maryland.”

Baltimore Sports and Life: “The running game loses Meggett, but brings back Justus Pickett who had 274 yards as a Freshman. Pickett will be pushed by True Freshman Wes Brown, and Albert Reid. I imagine they all receive carries this year, with maybe Brown emerging to receive the majority. Despite the youth (and uncertainty that brings), I feel pretty good about this group. Do you share that optimism?”

Lassan: “This group has talent, but is largely unproven. It’s easy to plug and play at running back, so Maryland fans should feel good about this group. Wes Brown and Albert Reid were good additions and should compete for snaps right away.”

Baltimore Sports and Life: “After opening with William & Mary September 1st, the Terps will play Temple (who crushed MD at College Park last year) in Philadelphia, Connecticut (Edsall’s former program) at home, and head to Morgantown to face West Virginia (who has owned Maryland in recent seasons). Brief thoughts on the O.O.C. schedule?”

Lassan: “I would be surprised if Maryland did not record a 3-1 mark in non-conference play. The Terrapins are going to be underdogs against West Virginia, but should be able to beat William & Mary, Temple and Connecticut. The Owls lost several key players from last season’s team, while the Huskies will struggle to reach a bowl.”

Baltimore Sports and Life: “Heading into 2011, FSU was the universal choice to win the ACC Atlantic, and expected by some to compete Nationally. They did not meet those expectations, and Clemson would win the Division, and the Conference as a whole. Heading into 2012, those two Universities again appear to be the favorites. NCST was 8-5, and won their bowl game. Wake Forest was 5-3 in league play, and Boston College was 4-8. How do you see the Atlantic Division finishing?”

Lassan: “Even though Clemson is the defending Atlantic champs, I have to go with Florida State as the favorite to win the division. The Seminoles have a young offensive line and need more from quarterback EJ Manuel, but the defense could be the best in college football. Florida State catches Clemson in Tallahassee, which could be the deciding factor for the top spot in the division. I have NC State finishing 3rd, Wake Forest 4th, Maryland 5th and Boston College checking in at the bottom.”

Baltimore Sports and Life: “Do you see FSU and Clemson leaving the ACC for the Big 12? If so, can you picture the SEC pursuing VaTech and NCST, and a combination out of Maryland / UNC / Duke / Virginia, becoming in-play for the Big Ten? If you do not see any departures from the current league structure, do you believe the ACC should be putting on the full-court press for Notre Dame, and UConn?”

Lassan: “Regardless of what happens with Florida State and Clemson, the ACC needs to keep pursuing Notre Dame for membership. It might take 15 years, but I think it’s a good bet the Irish will join a conference in the future. The Big 12 has said they are content with 10 members, but adding two solid programs like Florida State and Clemson will be too much to pass up. If the Seminoles and Tigers express their interest to leave the conference, the Big 12 will extend them an invitation. Considering the playoff format has to play out, we may not see any expansion until next season, but I think it’s a strong possibility Florida State and Clemson will be leaving.”

#2 homertuck

homertuck
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 10:22 AM

Lots of good info here. I like your responses, Steve. Very solid. I'm not 100% sold on Edsall not surviving another 2-10 or 3-9 type season. I think Kevin Anderson is all in with him. I do think Edsall will turn it around, but I think it's going to take time. My problem with Edsall has always been that he wanted to do a complete rebuild of the program when I thought it only needed a renovation. The main reason that's important is because I think you needed a hire that immediately put butts in the seats, especially the luxury boxes, when your department is in a huge financial shortfall. That's not what the Edsall hire was and Kevin Anderson must have known that when he hired the man. So while I obviously don't think anyone expected this team to go 2-10, I think Anderson must have know that this was going to take time to build, so I almost blame him more then Edsall.

I also really worry about QB depth. I think the D will be pretty good and has the potential to be one of the better units in the ACC behind FSU, Clemson and a few others. I think the offense could be good and Brown has that duel threat that fits into Locks' scheme, but if Brown goes down after taking a big hit while running and gets knocked out for an extended period, Maryland is in trouble.

The other area people forget about is special teams. Last season, Maryland was AWFUL on special teams, especially on punt and kickoff coverages. If that area was better last year, this team definitely doesn't lose 10 games. They'd probably have been a 5-6 win team. If that area doesn't improve this season, Maryland is going to have a hard time winning those close games. Allowing a team a quick score or constantly giving them great field position is such a big advantage for your opposition. I hope Maryland can correct that.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this
@TestudoDave

#3 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 04 June 2012 - 10:53 AM

Lots of good info here. I like your responses, Steve. Very solid. I'm not 100% sold on Edsall not surviving another 2-10 or 3-9 type season. I think Kevin Anderson is all in with him. I do think Edsall will turn it around, but I think it's going to take time. My problem with Edsall has always been that he wanted to do a complete rebuild of the program when I thought it only needed a renovation. The main reason that's important is because I think you needed a hire that immediately put butts in the seats, especially the luxury boxes, when your department is in a huge financial shortfall. That's not what the Edsall hire was and Kevin Anderson must have known that when he hired the man. So while I obviously don't think anyone expected this team to go 2-10, I think Anderson must have know that this was going to take time to build, so I almost blame him more then Edsall.

The problem is, the school fired a coach who was, if not as successful as many fans wanted, doing a fine job with a program that has only had flashes of greatness over the years mixed with long fallow periods. The primary reason for letting Friedgen go was wins and losses over the past couple of years, even though he was more successful over his tenure than any coach not named Byrd or Ross.

If you are going to fire a coach because he isn't winning enough, than the next coach only has one job: win more. Edsall managed to do almost the exact opposite of that, for whatever reason you want to suggest. Next year he has to win some games to have a chance of keeping his job, or the fans will revolt and, more importantly, so will the boosters.

#4 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,510 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 04 June 2012 - 01:06 PM

Nice interview. I am looking forward to seeing the defense this season. I think that is where the improvement in overall record has to come from. And the unit has to stay healthy, which was an issue last year and in the 2-10 season in 2009. A lot of players got some experience under their belt last season, and I think they will need that depth to avoid getting worn down in tight games and give the team a chance to win. I also hope for a big improvement in STs, which were mostly horrid last season. The kicking game has got to improve, as field position and FGs could be the difference-makers in a lot of games this season. Same with returns....I think that is probably the most effective way to get the ball into Diggs' hands for now, and hopefully it could provide some great results.

#5 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,312 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 02:49 PM

Thanks to all for reading, and feeback provided. Several other analysts will be answering these questions. Starting to look forward to the season.

#6 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,312 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 08:01 PM

Anyone else feeling more optimistic about the Terps, as the season nears?

#7 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,510 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 04 June 2012 - 08:24 PM

I still only see 2-4 wins. The hoped for improvement by the defense will probably be offset by an offense that is too thin at too many positions. Signs of improvement will hopefully show by them being more consistently competitive than they were at times last season, and avoiding painful collapses like the Clemson and NCSU games.

#8 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 08:25 AM

I'd be feeling much better if Garcia and Dill had not left.

I think the defense will be much improved, and the offense really has some playmakers now. But the O-line is weak and very thin.

I think CJB will do well when he's in, but no way he stays healthy all year the way he plays.

#9 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 10:44 AM

I'd like to, because I always want to feel optimistic about my teams. Then, however, I look in my closet and see my Danny O'Brien jersey, and I just can't feel good about where this program is going in the short- or the long-term.

#10 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,312 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 11:16 AM

I'd like to, because I always want to feel optimistic about my teams. Then, however, I look in my closet and see my Danny O'Brien jersey, and I just can't feel good about where this program is going in the short- or the long-term.

Yeah, watching DOB with Wisconsin will be tough.

I think many share your sentiments. Looking at the positions units though, I see a fair amount of skill - just not an abundance of depth.

#11 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,312 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 11:17 AM

I'd be feeling much better if Garcia and Dill had not left.

I think the defense will be much improved, and the offense really has some playmakers now. But the O-line is weak and very thin.

I think CJB will do well when he's in, but no way he stays healthy all year the way he plays.

Agree here as well. If Brown goes down, things get scary. Losing Garcia and Dill was tough.

#12 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 07:36 PM

Yeah, watching DOB with Wisconsin will be tough.

I think many share your sentiments. Looking at the positions units though, I see a fair amount of skill - just not an abundance of depth.

Yeah, I don't know if this really is a "bad" team. I don't think they were a bad team last year, either, but they still lost ten games and were absolutely embarrassed in several ones. This team seems like a worse team than last year, because of the players lost to graduation and transfer.

Maybe the guys still there really buy in to Edsall and what he wants to do, and the team ends up playing better. That would be great, and I would be more than happy to see Edsall put the program on the right track. The past year-and-a-half doesn't set up a easy path for the Terps, though.

#13 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,312 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 03:44 PM

Based on the projected current depth, would you want to move Tate back to the Secondary? Or are you find with him staying at LB?

#14 Luke Jackson

Luke Jackson
  • Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 11:43 PM

If you're looking for signs of optimism, I guess you start with the hope that the players who remain with the program are bought into whatever the hell Edsall is selling. Yes, I realize that Edsall is a typical college football coach in the sense that he's selling hypocritical BS but the point is that the program going nowhere fast unless the kids buy in. So we can hope that the kids still in the program WANT to be a part of it, and considering like 200 guys have transferred, it's probably fair to say that the ones left want to be here. So that's good. The other big sign of hope long-term is Locksley. He had his struggles as a head coach in more ways than one, but he's a damn good recruiter in this area and what he pulled off with respect to Maryland's 2012 recruiting class was remarkable considering that he was handcuffed in terms of the time he had to recruit and the season MD was coming off of. Maryland's long-term success is largely dependent on its ability to recruit elite talent in this area. Locksley's the guy you want for that.

For 2012, I think you'll see a team that struggles because of its lack of depth (especially on the offensive line) but has a lot more excitement. The strength for Maryland on offense is probably at receiver, with Diggs, Dorsey and Boykins as the main guys. However, if the offensive line can't protect Brown, who's already a bit challenged with respect to accuracy...you know. I'm interested in what Wes Brown shows as a freshman, as he'll probably see some time at running back.

Diggs brings more speed and big-play potential than anyone on the team last year and will probably be the no. 1 option on offense as soon as he steps on campus for fall practices. I think you'll see Diggs be used in all sorts of ways to get his hands on the ball -- reverses, wide receiver screens, kick + punt returns, etc. -- and he'll have some highlight-reel plays next season. It's guys like Diggs that Maryland always struggles with in conference play -- teams like Clemson and Florida State kill Maryland with speed. Now Maryland has one of those types of guys, and hell, Torrey Smith and DHB gave defenses fits over the years. I think Maryland fans would be fine if Diggs turned out like Torrey or DHB.

I'd move Tate back to safety, but who knows if Edsall's ego will allow him to admit that moving Tate was a mistake. Tate to me is a prototypical hard-hitting strong safety that is strong in run support but can defend the pass a little too. Playing him so close to the line of scrimmage as a linebacker meant that too often he got sucked up by the o-line before he could even get moving. His skill-set is just not suited to play close to the line, and shockingly, Tate got hurt early in the season. Play Tate in the open field where he'll have a better chance to stay healthy and make plays.

As far as the coordinator positions ... Todd Bradford and Gary Crowton to Brian Stewart and Mike Locksley ... can you say UPGRADE??? I'm willing to bet that Locksley will try to build his offense towards his personnel rather than pulling a Crowton/Edsall and literally running the exact opposite schemes of what their personnel would allow.

They've probably got a chance at a 6-6 season if they stay healthy, but they won't (it's football after all) and they'll probably be looking at a four- or five-win season. Important, though, that they're competitive in most of their games and avoid the embarrassing blowouts that happened last year.
  • BSLChrisStoner and Greg Pappas like this
@BSLLukeJackson

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=