#21 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 04 June 2012 - 12:08 AM

To me, some of the reason I won't bother watching too much basketball and hockey during the regular season is that the postseason is practically a season unto itself. When you consider that an NBA or NHL team plays 16-28 playoff games (20-35% of the regular season) and that the postseason takes a full 2 months to play out, there doesn't seem to be much point in watching regular season games.

In baseball, the playoffs are now 12-20 games (7-12% of regular season) and in football the playoffs are 3-4 games (19-25% of the regular season).

And in the NHL, for instance, the game is practically an entirely different entity in the postseason. It's not even the same game really.

I agree with a lot of what you are saying. The NBA/NHL regular season seems like an appetizer for the "main course" being the post-season. I think both of these sports have sold their souls for the "excitement" of the playoffs. The "anything can happen in the playoffs" basically is just saying just finish in the top half of the league and you never know.

I was against MLB playoff expansion btw, because I didn't like the fact you were allowing more teams to compete in the championship. The Cardinals last year proved get hot at the right time, you can ride that success to a championship. I believe championships should be more reflective of an entire season than a single team getting hot at the right time, which is why I'd like more sports reserve the playoffs for an exclusive level.
@levineps

#22 Nuclear Dish

Nuclear Dish

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationZichron Yaakov, Israel

Posted 04 June 2012 - 05:06 AM

I agree with a lot of what you are saying. The NBA/NHL regular season seems like an appetizer for the "main course" being the post-season. I think both of these sports have sold their souls for the "excitement" of the playoffs. The "anything can happen in the playoffs" basically is just saying just finish in the top half of the league and you never know.

I was against MLB playoff expansion btw, because I didn't like the fact you were allowing more teams to compete in the championship. The Cardinals last year proved get hot at the right time, you can ride that success to a championship. I believe championships should be more reflective of an entire season than a single team getting hot at the right time, which is why I'd like more sports reserve the playoffs for an exclusive level.

Right, that's what I meant, only you said it a lot better than I did. :)

"Three thousand years of beautiful tradition, from Moses to Sandy Koufax..."

-Walter Sobchak

#23 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,294 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:52 PM

But of course any team that makes the baseball playoffs has a legit chance at winning it all, and it seems that way with hockey too, yet, no more than 6 NBA teams generally have a shot at winning it all once the playoffs begin.

So the argument that the MLB regular season is much more important than the NBA regular season doesn't hold a ton of merit imo.

But I guess that's a point in favor of the regular season in MLB and the NHL as well. Depends on how you look at it.

#24 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 06 June 2012 - 01:56 AM

But of course any team that makes the baseball playoffs has a legit chance at winning it all, and it seems that way with hockey too, yet, no more than 6 NBA teams generally have a shot at winning it all once the playoffs begin.

So the argument that the MLB regular season is much more important than the NBA regular season doesn't hold a ton of merit imo.

But I guess that's a point in favor of the regular season in MLB and the NHL as well. Depends on how you look at it.

With the new system though, it might be a real advantage to win your division. We shall see in the next few years, the effect of the wild-card teams in advancing past the divisional round. I don't think the play-in game will have much effect if at all if they can get to the LCS and even less in the World Series, especially if there end up being rainouts which seem to happen more with the inclement weather of October.
@levineps

#25 Tucker Blair

Tucker Blair

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationElkridge, MD

Posted 06 June 2012 - 10:55 AM

I'm a baseball fan first and foremost and everything else is far behind.

That being said, the only other sport I even remotely follow is Football.

Orioles >>>>>>>>>Ravens >>>>>>>>>>Terps>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Everything else

That's probably how it is for me.

#26 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,294 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 06 June 2012 - 11:52 AM

With the new system though, it might be a real advantage to win your division. We shall see in the next few years, the effect of the wild-card teams in advancing past the divisional round. I don't think the play-in game will have much effect if at all if they can get to the LCS and even less in the World Series, especially if there end up being rainouts which seem to happen more with the inclement weather of October.

True. Even though they're adding teams to the playoffs, it makes winning the division more important.

In general, though, besides huge baseball fans, I don't think the assertion that the MLB regular season is better and/or more interesting than other sports is really the case. People pay attention to their team, but there's a lot of fan fatigue due to how long the season is and the everyday nature of baseball.

#27 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 06 June 2012 - 06:14 PM

True. Even though they're adding teams to the playoffs, it makes winning the division more important.

In general, though, besides huge baseball fans, I don't think the assertion that the MLB regular season is better and/or more interesting than other sports is really the case. People pay attention to their team, but there's a lot of fan fatigue due to how long the season is and the everyday nature of baseball.

I've already said that I find "other" football games much more interesting. I barely watch any baseball outside the Orioles, unless there's a real reason to. I have absolutely no interest in buying those MLB TV packages because I already get the O's and that's all I need. Now if I lived out of the market, of course I'd buy it. But RedZone is a whole other story, one of the great inventions of all-time(only half-kidding here).
@levineps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=