• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 159,072 posts

Posted 04 October 2024 - 09:46 AM

What do you want the O's do with these 3?
What do you expect the O's to do with these 3?

I expect Santander is gone, and Kjerstad takes over RF.

I expect Mountcastle is traded and Mayo takes over 1st.

I think Holliday is the 2nd baseman. 

It would really surprise me if the O's gave up their years of control, and moved them.

I don't think Kjerstad is going to match Santander's 2024, but he could approximate Santander's career OPS.

Obviously you hope that Holliday and Mayo are ready to produce next year after getting their feet wet in '24.

(Cowser, .433 OPS in 61 ab's in '23, likely ROY in '24.)

Would you prefer the O's sign Santander, and trade one of Kjerstad or Mayo?
Would you prefer the O's trade Holliday, and use Westburg at 2nd, and Urias at 3rd?

#2 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 63,510 posts

Posted 04 October 2024 - 09:52 AM

I'd bring Santander back if he accepts to QO or if the baggage keeps his market down to something in the 3/$60-72M range.  If he walks, then I'm penciling Kjerstad in at RF.

I'd consider trading any of these guys plus Cowser or even Westburg but it'd have to be a great deal.  Crochet and/or Robert might be the only guys that make sense, but there sometimes are good players moved who you wouldn't project to be available at this time so maybe there are others.

I think I agree with your expectation, Chris.  All 3 are more or less handed positions with O'Hearn as the fallback if Kjerstad or Mayo flop and Mateo and/or Urias the fallback if Holliday flops.

#3 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,173 posts

Posted 04 October 2024 - 09:56 AM

I think all three are playing regular innings for the big league team next year. The only reason they wouldn't is if they get packaged in a trade for a front line starter.

I'm not deterred at all by a rough few months od irregular playing for these guys. I still believe in the talent, and I still believe in their eventual success. Cowser took a massive leap this year, bone-headedness notwithstanding. Gunnar also took a massive leap after about 4 months of big league ball. These guys need to play regularly, get accustomed to big league pitching, and be allowed to make adjustments.

Most of the sentiments I've seen around here lately have been that almost everyone on the team is trash, and these prospects are failures or overrated, overhyped guys who can go. I still think they are important.

#4 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,160 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 04 October 2024 - 10:10 AM

I'm the most open to trading Mayo because he's the only one whose home stadium will reduce the value of his best tool for half of his games lol

• Mashed Potatoes likes this

#5 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,668 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 04 October 2024 - 10:31 AM

I'd like to keep Tony Popup but it has to be a pretty friendly deal. I am concerned with a starting OF of Cowser, Mullins, and Kjerstad when all 3 are left handed given our managements propensity to be so stuck on lefty right matchups.

I am totally open to trading Mayo, Holliday, Mountcastle, and Kjerstad (depending on resigning Santander).

#6 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,527 posts

Posted 04 October 2024 - 03:53 PM

I'd bring Santander back if he accepts to QO or if the baggage keeps his market down to something in the 3/$60-72M range. If he walks, then I'm penciling Kjerstad in at RF.

I'd consider trading any of these guys plus Cowser or even Westburg but it'd have to be a great deal. Crochet and/or Robert might be the only guys that make sense, but there sometimes are good players moved who you wouldn't project to be available at this time so maybe there are others.

I think I agree with your expectation, Chris. All 3 are more or less handed positions with O'Hearn as the fallback if Kjerstad or Mayo flop and Mateo and/or Urias the fallback if Holliday flops.

Not completely off limits but Im still very strongly against trading Holliday. Up the middle defender. Still so young. Hes part of my core with Adley, Gunnar, and Westy. Def have no problem if Kjerstad or Mayo were moved in the right deal. Cowser too.

Would prefer to bring Tony back. SH middle of the order power bat. He prob could even transition to 1b if necessary along with DH. Cant give him a super long deal but something in the 3 -4 year range Id make a push.

#7 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,977 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 04 October 2024 - 03:53 PM

It’s been 48 hours and I’m almost firmly back on the “they’re so young, be patient” train
  • B00E00N00 and bmore_ken like this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#8 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,977 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 04 October 2024 - 03:54 PM

I’ve also convinced myself Adley was hurt

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#9 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,527 posts

Posted 04 October 2024 - 03:55 PM

The way Elias was talking yesterday def leads me to believe we will be more active in FA to fill holes. We arent going to have a 200 mil payroll. I doubt its even 150 but I expect it to jump as he noted. The 2nd tier of SP in particular looks to be solid this year. Think we need to make some hay there.

#10 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,527 posts

Posted 04 October 2024 - 04:12 PM

I’ve also convinced myself Adley was hurt

I saw something recently that said he was gripping the bat differently since the injury. Who knows. Get in shape and bounce back. His arm and receiving concern me more than the bat tbh

#11 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,983 posts

Posted 04 October 2024 - 05:15 PM

I saw something recently that said he was gripping the bat differently since the injury. Who knows. Get in shape and bounce back. His arm and receiving concern me more than the bat tbh

According to savant his blocking was great, framing poor, arm about average. Previously his framing was very good, so who knows there.

19% CS but they only expected 17%, it looks like runners always got great jumps as he has one of the lowest runner distance from 2nd.

#12 JoyinMudville

JoyinMudville

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 04 October 2024 - 05:19 PM

I said this in another thread but since we've started talking Rutchsman, I wish they wouldn't DH him so much. If he's not catching he should rest with the occasional pinch hit appearance. I think they'll get more out of him offensively for the length of the season if they take that approach

#13 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,527 posts

Posted 04 October 2024 - 05:24 PM

According to savant his blocking was great, framing poor, arm about average. Previously his framing was very good, so who knows there.

19% CS but they only expected 17%, it looks like runners always got great jumps as he has one of the lowest runner distance from 2nd.

The pitchers as a whole didnt help him and McCann. There was so little control of the running game. Another little detail thing. That said, I think his throws could also be erratic and inconsistent
  • B00E00N00 likes this

#14 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,983 posts

Posted 04 October 2024 - 05:29 PM

The pitchers as a whole didnt help him and McCann. There was so little control of the running game. Another small little detail thing

Adley was 4 for 30 with Burnes. Was also 0 for 13 with Kimbrel, who also seemed like he wasn't even trying to hold runners. That's almost half the steals against Adley.

• Hooded Viper likes this

#15 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,527 posts

Posted 04 October 2024 - 05:32 PM

Adley was 4 for 30 with Burnes. Was also 0 for 13 with Kimbrel, who also seemed like he wasn't even trying to hold runners. That's almost half the steals against Adley.

Def important info to know regarding his numbers. Burnes and Kimbrel were as bad as it gets with controlling the running game

#16 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,840 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:13 AM

I feel like this team needs their stud offensive captain, for lack of a better word. Someone to bring them altogether like Frank Robinson did when the O’s traded for him. I would make a strong trade offer for Vlad Jr. I think he would jolt the offense with his play and attitude. Send Mayo, Kjerstad snd Mounty. Re-sign Santander and throw the house at Burnes. I truly believe that would galvanize the team, similar to Frank. Not gonna happen but Would love it!

#17 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,942 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:45 AM

It’s been 48 hours and I’m almost firmly back on the “they’re so young, be patient” train

Me too

#18 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,456 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted Yesterday, 07:21 PM

I expect Santander is gone, and Kjerstad takes over RF.
I expect Mountcastle is traded and Mayo takes over 1st.
I think Holliday is the 2nd baseman.

I think this is the way most likely alignment for 2025. In fact, you can walk through the rest of the lineup similarly.

The Orioles have basically 5 things to do this offseason and you could do all of them fairly early. We can maybe create some bigger scenarios (trades, not FA), but despite the reflections of Elias, there isn't that much to do.

5 things
1) CF
2) 1B (related directly to this, trade Mounty, insert Mayo)
3) SP (I know people want 2, but it's probably one and it's not a hammer like Burnes)
4) Bench
5) Extensions

It's not going to be about adding so much to this group, it's going to be about the roster that gets the most out of this group.

Guys like Mayo, Holliday and Kjerstad are here to perform, so they need to be given the opportunity and leash to perform.

#19 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,428 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:44 PM

Mullins will be back in CF. Advanced metrics aren't a fan, but he was a 2.6 WAR player and had a 2nd half OPS of .831.

#20 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,527 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:30 PM

Mullins will be back in CF. Advanced metrics aren't a fan, but he was a 2.6 WAR player and had a 2nd half OPS of .831.

Yup and if not him it will be Cowser. But Ced is the big fav. They are obviosuly going to offer him arb. If they find a  trade they love they could trade him but its not likely.  How thats number #1 is funny

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=