#2 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,888 posts

Posted 02 October 2024 - 09:04 PM

Just to address a couple of points here:

I agree that it might be a better idea to concentrate less on launch angles and focus more on contact every so often, particularly if a player is struggling at the plate. I remember reading a few weeks ago how Edgar Martinez took over as Seattle's hitting coach after Scott Servais was fired as manager, and I imagine his approach was much more old school. He doesn't seem to be much of a fan of the modern logistics of hitting, even saying that "No amount of launch angle can fix a bad swing," or words to that effect. Sure, you can do more potential damage with the former, but it could also be messing with some guys' swings.

This philosophy doesn't start at the major league level, of course; players get the same instruction and information at all levels of the minors. That's why I'm not sure that firing the hitting coaches will have much desired effect. Still, it's curious how the Orioles, who only ranked 17th overall in the majors in homers last year, suddenly became so homer-happy this year.

As for Hyde, I know there are people on here who would like nothing better than to see him join the ranks of the unemployed. He doesn't argue balls and strikes enough, he doesn't hold players accountable, whatever that means. If people expect him to get in a player's face and read him the riot act, well, that just isn't going to cut it today. Most players have way more job security than the manager, and if anyone expects a player to suddenly go on a tear just because the manager got in his face, well, that kind of stuff probably went out with John J. McGraw.

I remember early in Hyde's tenure when he and Chris Davis nearly got into it in the dugout after Davis let a throw get past him at first base. Did whatever Hyde said suddenly turn Davis into Eddie Murray? No, he continued to suck.

I think Elias and Co. do face a very challenging offseason, and not just strictly in terms of improving the roster. I think they need to sell more than just hope this winter; they need to convince the fanbase that whatever moves they make will have a positive effect.

#3 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 03 October 2024 - 05:30 AM

This philosophy doesn't start at the major league level, of course; players get the same instruction and information at all levels of the minors. That's why I'm not sure that firing the hitting coaches will have much desired effect. Still, it's curious how the Orioles, who only ranked 17th overall in the majors in homers last year, suddenly became so homer-happy this year. 

Rutschman is the poster child of this.  Last year he's taking lots of walks and making good contact.  The first half of this season he got more aggressive and it initially paid off with a bunch of home runs.  In the second half, the home runs dried up and all that was left was a lot of crappy pop ups.

#4 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,668 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 03 October 2024 - 01:40 PM

I don't see how you CAN'T make some major changes. The point is the playoffs. The 162 game season is fun to watch but it is the preface to the show. This is two years in a row (not to count the abysmal second half of this year) where the team faltered badly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=