5 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 158,612 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:43 AM

84-68, 5GB of New York in the East. 

Chance of making the playoffs as of today is 98.6% according to ESPN. 

Remain the lead Wild Card with a 4 game lead on Kanas City, 5.5 game lead on Minnesota. 

2-8 overall in their last 10 games. 

Runs 6th overall
Slugging 3rd

On-Base % 12th
ERA 15th

As of today, the Wild Card Round would be against Kansas City. 
The Wild Card Round is Oct 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. 
The winner of that 4/5 series will face New York.

ESPN gives the O's a: 

56% chance of making the ALDS
24% chance of making the ALCS
12% chance of making the World Series

5% chance of winning the World Series

Injury Updates From Elias per MASN yesterday: 

Ramón Urías hit on the field and ran sprints, with a rehab assignment nearing. Jordan Westburg took his first batting practice swings and also should rejoin the Orioles before the end of the month. Ryan Mountcastle started a hitting progression in Sarasota and is close to playing for the Tides. Danny Coulombe will make his third rehab appearance tonight and the club can decide whether he needs a fourth. Grayson Rodriguez completed another bullpen session and is “doing really well,” Elias said.

Rodriguez is the one who brings a slight pause, being on the “front end of the window,” as Elias phrased it, following an injury to his right lat/teres.

“It’s healing,” Elias said. “It seems like everything’s really moving in the right direction. Obviously, some days move a little faster than others, but it’s been a real steady course progression. That said, time and the calendar is not exactly our friend here with 12 games to go in the regular season, so we’re just kind of doing everything that we can to keep it moving in the right direction on a day-by-day basis, and sort of see where we’re at in terms of the calendar and then also our scenarios and what we’re projected to be in postseason-wise and all that, and we’ll see where we’re at with Grayson. But right now it’s a one-day-at-a-time thing.”

Facing live hitters is next for Rodriguez, but when? Norfolk’s season concludes on Sunday, which would necessitate the creation of fabricated at-bats. And then, there’s the issue of getting him stretched out to start.

Elias didn’t make a firm commitment to the possibility of using Rodriguez out of the bullpen in late September and the playoffs. He conceded that time is running out to get Rodriguez in starter mode, but he also talked about doing “the right thing for his health and career,” which must be taken into account. No direct answer was forthcoming because the Orioles don’t have it.

Remaining Schedule:
9/19 vs. San Francisco
9/20 - 9/22 vs. Detroit
9/24 - 9/26 @ New York
9/27 - 9/29 @ Minnesota

#2 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 63,223 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:55 AM

I hate that we need to track the magic number for clinching the playoffs as if there is a possibility we might not.  It'd take an epic collapse, but if we repeat the past 10 games over the final 10, it'll leave the door wide open.  And the opponents over the final 10 are all high quality.

Gotta eliminate 3 of the remaining 5 teams to clinch a Wild Card.  Magic numbers for the O's to finish ahead of each (including head-to-head tiebreakers if decided but ignoring 3-way tie possibilities)

2 - Boston

3 - Seattle

6 - Minnesota

6 - Detroit

7 - Kansas City

#3 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,545 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted Yesterday, 11:18 AM

I hate that we need to track the magic number for clinching the playoffs as if there is a possibility we might not.  It'd take an epic collapse, but if we repeat the past 10 games over the final 10, it'll leave the door wide open.  And the opponents over the final 10 are all high quality.

Gotta eliminate 3 of the remaining 5 teams to clinch a Wild Card.  Magic numbers for the O's to finish ahead of each (including head-to-head tiebreakers if decided but ignoring 3-way tie possibilities)

2 - Boston

3 - Seattle

6 - Minnesota

6 - Detroit

7 - Kansas City

Boston and Seattle are the only 2 I feel even fairly comfortable we can eliminate.

#4 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 63,223 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:25 AM

Boston and Seattle are the only 2 I feel even fairly comfortable we can eliminate.

I'd say its at least 95% likely we make it, but if Eflin and Burnes get beat the next two days its gonna get real dicey.  They'll be pitching 4 and possibly 5 of the remaining 9 games so that's encouraging.  Question mark is obviously the bats, they can crap the bed and negate a strong outing from the good SP.

But the last few days are the first time I've felt that missing the playoffs is more realistic than winning the division.  Really annoying how badly the team has played recently.  Even moreso than how meh they had played for a couple months before that.

#5 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,387 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:29 AM

I think if they can just win 1 game against Detroit, they're in good shape to make the playoffs.  If they get swept, things get really dicey.

#6 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,562 posts

Posted Yesterday, 02:15 PM

0-10 here we come

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=