#1 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,562 posts

Posted 17 September 2024 - 11:27 AM

https://pressboxonli...s-to-be-better/

Nearly two decades into his head coaching career, it sadly is almost equally expected that Harbaugh will end up losing a timeout chasing a bad challenge. Against the Raiders, he lost two. Two timeouts wasted on plays that were never going to be overturned. Two inexplicable decisions to light timeouts on fire. Perhaps the first-half challenge can be dismissed with the idea that they were probably going to take a timeout ahead of the third-down play anyway, but there was absolutely no reason they had to. And they didn’t convert.

And that timeout might have been nice late in the first half when the Ravens were 14 yards short of the end zone and had to settle for a field goal before they ran out of time. And the second wasted timeout could have proved beneficial when they got the ball back with only 27 seconds remaining in the fourth quarter.

These blunders are inexcusable for first-year head coaches. They’re unfathomable for 17-year head coaches. But they’re downright criminal for teams that have to be better in the margins to make up for shortcomings like an offensive line that simply isn’t ready for primetime. And yes, it comes on the heels of a Week 1 loss in which two second-half timeouts were squandered because of personnel issues. Those timeouts would have been helpful when the Ravens ran out of time on a potential game-tying drive. This falls somewhere between “broken record” and “Phil Connors stuck in a Groundhog’s Day hellscape.”

I’m not even venturing into the responsibility that falls on the coaches for the staggering 173 penalty yards so far. Some of the penalties (the illegal formations last week and the Brandon Stephens pass interference in the end zone this week) are questionable to say the least. Still, “unacceptable” doesn’t begin to describe this.

But as the wasted timeouts go, I don’t blame those of you who are so sick of it that all you can do is suggest firing the coach after every game. I understand. It can’t happen. It can’t be explained. It isn’t OK.

But John Harbaugh is going to be the coach for the next game. And John Harbaugh has to be better. Period. The offensive line has to be better. The former kicking GOAT has to be better. The punter has to be better, too. But John Harbaugh, quite specifically, has to be better.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#2 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 17 September 2024 - 11:38 AM

Hopefully in Dallas he won't defer to the crowd as to whether something should be challenged.

#3 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,260 posts

Posted 17 September 2024 - 03:59 PM

John won't get better because he doesn't see any flaws in himself. Never has. Never will. He won't change. He doesn't want to, and will never think he needs to.
  • PrimeTime and bmore_ken like this

#4 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,345 posts

Posted 17 September 2024 - 04:10 PM

John won't get better because he doesn't see any flaws in himself. Never has. Never will. He won't change. He doesn't want to, and will never think he needs to.

For the most part, I've defended Harbaugh over the years because he's got a solid, regular season record to back up his cred.  But just like with Hyde, maybe it's getting time to move on.  If they tank this year and wind up 6-11 or worse, what's the excuse going to be this time?  Especially, if they do that with a healthy Lamar.  Nothing lasts forever and if anything proves that, look no further than New England. 

#5 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,562 posts

Posted 18 September 2024 - 06:41 AM

He did in 2012 when he almost lost the locker room. Maybe the players need to take him to task on this. 

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#6 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,862 posts

Posted 18 September 2024 - 07:11 AM

8 successful out of 30 challenges since 2019. .267. 

He used to be pretty good. .464 prior to that. I know it's not all him, he's probably getting bad advice from the people watching replay (though there is a giant screen in most stadiums). But he's the one in charge, he needs to just hold on to the flag sometimes

#7 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,814 posts

Posted 18 September 2024 - 07:30 AM

The first half one doesnt bother me at all. The play was in late or Lamar was late relaying it. Im convinced that he only threw that one because he was going to call a TO anyway. And with the new rule you only need to be successful on 1 of your 2 to get a 3rd one.

There has to be better communication and decision making by whoever is in charge of that stuff in his earphones. He has to completely trust them full out instead of looking up at the big board. By the way I think its funny as headstrong and arrogant as he is that some people think the fans are influencing his decision to throw flags. I promise he doesnt care what the fans think. I do think if its a split sec decision and he doesnt get a straight answer from his replay booth he tends to lean aggressive in throwing the flag vs conservative. Its ok to want him to be more conservative in these situations but the people bitching about him throwing it and getting it wrong also cant be the ones bitching if he doesnt throw it when its really close and he could have won a challenge

#8 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 18 September 2024 - 07:37 AM

The first half one doesnt bother me at all. The play was in late or Lamar was late relaying it. Im convinced that he only threw that one because he was going to call a TO anyway. And with the new rule you only need to be successful on 1 of your 2 to get a 3rd one.

There has to be better communication and decision making by whoever is in charge of that stuff in his earphones. He has to completely trust them full out instead of looking up at the big board. By the way I think its funny as headstrong and arrogant as he is that some people think the fans are influencing his decision to throw flags. I promise he doesnt care what the fans think. I do think if its a split sec decision and he doesnt get a straight answer from his replay booth he tends to lean aggressive in throwing the flag vs conservative. Its ok to want him to be more conservative in these situations but the people bitching about him throwing it and getting it wrong also cant be the ones bitching if he doesnt throw it when its really close and he could have won a challenge

:lol:

Harbaugh's in his 17th season and you're still making excuses.  Yet you want Hyde fired any time a bullpen pitcher allows a runner.

Sunday's two challenges were horrible and blatantly obvious they wouldn't get overturned.  The announcers called it both times.  And the second was definitely influenced by the crowd.

• bmore_ken likes this

#9 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,260 posts

Posted 18 September 2024 - 07:39 AM

John has gotten too untouchable and his arrogance is at an all-time high. His postgame comments were all about execution and consistency. Takes virtually zero responsibility for his mistakes. He used to do a little more of that, but not anymore. 

Remember the 24 hour news cycle back in like February where the word on the street was Rosburg was being hired to assist with game management stuff? The next day the negotiations hit a wall and as fast as the story broke out of nowhere, it was dead.

John walks around with the belief he is flawless. They will continue to be hurt by it on game day. Just gotta keep fingers crossed they can win in spit of him again.

#10 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,814 posts

Posted 18 September 2024 - 07:45 AM

I am so meh about football at this point that part of me wants people to get their wish with Harbaugh. Lets fans see that the grass isnt always greener. Ravens fans are kind of asking for it. The entitlement and expectations are ridiculous. But again Harbaugh is the reason those expectations are so high.

All of that to say that Bischotti and EDC could very well make a quality hire if John did go. I trust them more than most. But even with EDC and Bischotti making the hire I still think its unlikely you do better. Unless they want to bring in Hoodie. Ill take Hoodie over Harbaugh. I know he can build and run a great program too.
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

#11 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,862 posts

Posted 18 September 2024 - 07:47 AM

Lamar is the main reason expectations are high. What was Harbs' record from 2013 to mid 2018? 44-45.

• NewMarketSean and bmore_ken like this

#12 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 18 September 2024 - 07:56 AM

Lamar is the main reason expectations are high. What was Harbs' record from 2013 to mid 2018?

Indeed.  What was Harbs' record during the two seasons when Lamar went down?  Hell, there were a number of winnable games with Huntley, yet the Ravens lost because they wouldn't run the ball or they went for it instead of kicking and going to OT or instead of using running backs near the goal line they hand off to TEs or do fullback screens.

Harbs has had a good career with the Ravens, but the status quo has gotten stale.

• bmore_ken likes this

#13 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,260 posts

Posted 18 September 2024 - 07:59 AM

The Ravens compete and contend consistently primarily because of Ozzie and Eric, and what they have or currently send to the locker room. They win a lot of games in spite of John's sideline performance. They lose some because of his lack of sideline performance. It's beyond question to me at this point, and has been for many years now.

• Mashed Potatoes likes this

#14 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,814 posts

Posted 18 September 2024 - 08:01 AM

Lamar is the main reason expectations are high. What was Harbs' record from 2013 to mid 2018?

Lamar was brought into a great org and program that put him in a great position to reach his potential. They are numeorus orgs and programs that he could have walked into and he would not be close to the Lamar we see today. How many HCs have runs like Harbaugh has had under mutliple QBs. THe list isnt long. If you think thats just a product of lucking into Flacco and Lamar you are wrong. I say all of this as someone who at one time was not a  Harbaugh fan. The guy is better than most and thats not even debatable. If this gets to a Reid in Philly situation then so be it but assuming John wants to continue coaching I have little doubt he will be snatched up quickly and be successful at his next stop. 

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#15 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,562 posts

Posted 18 September 2024 - 08:15 AM

Can we start with something small and just say he needs to be better at clock and TO management, an area he is awful at? And something that routinely puts the team behind the 8-ball in close and late situations?

#16 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 20,110 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 18 September 2024 - 10:20 AM

I was really optimistic when it was being reported that Rosburg was going to come back and help him with some of this in-game stuff, and equally disappointed when it didn’t happen. What was the deal with that?

#17 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,345 posts

Posted 18 September 2024 - 10:26 AM

I think Harbaugh should go back to his roots with his father and be a little more conservative in how he preserves games where he has the lead late.  He's become a bit reckless in my opinion with all the analytics being fed his way.  I also think it would be a good idea to reign in Lamar making decisions on plays.  I'm not sure how extensive it is but he's another one that gets into trouble when he forces things.  And I really wish they'd give up on the long pass plays.  I know they're trying to stretch the defense to open up other areas, but Lamar is consistently inaccurate throwing long and it's just a waste of a play in my opinion.  I've always felt that it would suit his style of quarterback play with a strict, West Coast offense.  Move the chains, grind it out and score touchdowns inside the 10. 

#18 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,345 posts

Posted 18 September 2024 - 10:27 AM

I was really optimistic when it was being reported that Rosburg was going to come back and help him with some of this in-game stuff, and equally disappointed when it didn’t happen. What was the deal with that?

They wouldn't pay him what he wanted. 

#19 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 20,110 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 18 September 2024 - 10:35 AM

They wouldn't pay him what he wanted. 

That was the issue? Doesn’t seem like the sort of thing the organization would allow to stand in the way of a potentially beneficial outcome. Did he want to be paid like a head coach?

#20 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,260 posts

Posted 18 September 2024 - 10:37 AM

I don't recall any detail of the Rosburg deal / sudden no deal ever really coming out?  If it was close enough to happening I find it hard to believe either side would have leaked it without ANY idea of whether the dollars were going to work.  But who knows...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=