• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 158,580 posts

Posted 01 September 2024 - 08:52 AM

The Orioles are 78-59, 1.5 GB of NY in the East, and are the lead WC, 4 games up on KC, 5 games on Minnesota. 

The O's are:

4th overall in runs scored

1st overall in slugging

11th overall in on-base %

12th overall in era
+82 in Run Differential (8th best) 

There are 25 games left in the regular season, representing 15% of the season as a whole. 

The September schedule: 

9/1 @ Colorado

9/2 - 9/4 Chicago White Sox

9/6 - 9/8 Tampa Bay
9/9 - 9/11 @ Boston 
9/13 - 9/15 @ Detroit

9/17 - 9/19 San Francisco

9/20 - 9/22 Detroit
9/24 - 9/26 @ New York Yankees
9/27 - 9/29 @ Minnesota

#2 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 63,145 posts

Posted 01 September 2024 - 09:27 AM

Schedule is a cakewalk, one of the lowest SOS remaining last I checked. Yankees aren't much tougher though so will need to actually play well to win the division which we haven't seen sustained for a long time. Gonna be a grind probably for another week or two but putting together a decent close could rebuild some optimism for postseason odds.

Shame to have fallen so far from how excellent they played for the first 12 weeks or so. Should have been thinking about whether we are the favorite or not, rather than feeling like it'll take a 180 degree turnaround to have a chance of playing spoiler.

#3 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,006 posts

Posted 01 September 2024 - 09:59 AM

No one in the AL is great. Baltimore, NY, and Cleveland have all stumbled their way to the finish. Not sold on KC or Minnesota, either. Honestly, Houston is probably the most feared team going into the postseason with all their experience.

#4 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,512 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 01 September 2024 - 10:01 AM

Three months of .500 ball. Don't see how much changes over this month and the playoffs. SP should get better with Eflin and hopefully GRod back. But Burnes has been awful and there's no fixing the bullpen. It is what it is. Can the offense find something?

But to me the overarching issue is there horrible play of late. Fundamental mistakes every game. Simple things like yesterday with Mullins trying to steal third with a batter who is striking out a lot. Just bad baseball. The physical talent is there. Is that enough?
  • 85Knight likes this

#5 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,842 posts

Posted 01 September 2024 - 10:20 AM

Even a .500 team can have a 13-9 stretch pretty easily. That’s what you need in October. I certainly don’t expect it at this point but it’s in the realm of reasonable. Even this bad version of the team split 4 with Cleveland and with Houston this month and felt like they gave away the series with LAD. It helps to have no scary teams.

The day to day watching is getting painful though. Frustrating team right now.

#6 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,792 posts

Posted 01 September 2024 - 10:27 AM

Three months of .500 ball. Don't see how much changes over this month and the playoffs. SP should get better with Eflin and hopefully GRod back. But Burnes has been awful and there's no fixing the bullpen. It is what it is. Can the offense find something?
But to me the overarching issue is there horrible play of late. Fundamental mistakes every game. Simple things like yesterday with Mullins trying to steal third with a batter who is striking out a lot. Just bad baseball. The physical talent is there. Is that enough?

I assume it wasn’t a hit and run. What does trying to steal 3B have to do with a hitter that strikes out a lot?

Are you saying getting to 3B does you no good because the batter is going to strike out anyway?

#7 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 01 September 2024 - 10:28 AM

As Garrett Cole will tell you, it's body fatigue.  

#8 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,512 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 01 September 2024 - 10:47 AM

I assume it wasn’t a hit and run. What does trying to steal 3B have to do with a hitter that strikes out a lot?

Are you saying getting to 3B does you no good because the batter is going to strike out anyway?

If you don't understand why that was bad baseball in that situation I don't know what to say.

#9 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,686 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 01 September 2024 - 10:58 AM

If you don't understand why that was bad baseball in that situation I don't know what to say.

Stop breathing life into this dude. Let him snipe away. He has nothing to add, just wants to criticize others. He isn’t interested in actual discourse.

#10 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,792 posts

Posted 01 September 2024 - 11:05 AM

Stop breathing life into this dude. Let him snipe away. He has nothing to add, just wants to criticize others. He isn’t interested in actual discourse.

I voice many opinions but I also question others when they say something that I disagree with or need clarification on because it doesn’t make sense to me. I guess you’re still sore from a few days ago when you had one of the dumbest theories I’ve ever seen and I called you out on it. If you can’t take the heat ………..

And you definitely can’t.

#11 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,792 posts

Posted 01 September 2024 - 11:07 AM

There was one out and Mullins was trying to steal 3B. If the pitch is a ball and Mullins is safe we wouldn’t hear a peep from you about it being bad fundamental baseball.

#12 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,512 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 01 September 2024 - 11:35 AM

There was one out and Mullins was trying to steal 3B. If the pitch is a ball and Mullins is safe we wouldn’t hear a peep from you about it being bad fundamental baseball.

Wrong decision based on circumstances.

1. Runner is already in scoring position.
2. Batter strikes out a lot.
3. Already has 2 strikes so batter has to protect the plate.

Getting to third with less than 2 outs is a good thing. Usually. Wrong time here.

#13 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,792 posts

Posted 01 September 2024 - 12:05 PM

Wrong decision based on circumstances.
1. Runner is already in scoring position.
2. Batter strikes out a lot.
3. Already has 2 strikes so batter has to protect the plate.
Getting to third with less than 2 outs is a good thing. Usually. Wrong time here.

Ok. Sounds like good reasoning to me. I don’t think it was a terrible play but I kind of agree with you.

#14 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,686 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 01 September 2024 - 12:14 PM

Never make the 1st or 3rd out at 3rd base. It was a terrible play. Just like so many are these days. This team has its head so far up its ass. Just obnoxious.

#15 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,792 posts

Posted 01 September 2024 - 12:28 PM

Never make the 1st or 3rd out at 3rd base. It was a terrible play. Just like so many are these days. This team has its head so far up its ass. Just obnoxious.

There was one out when he ran. I don’t think the rule applies to reading the future and knowing that Holliday would strike out. I think he probably shouldn’t have run on that pitch but it’s not the same as trying to steal and getting caught with no outs or two outs.

#16 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,686 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 01 September 2024 - 12:29 PM

Jackson is 20 years old, had 2 strikes and has a 36% K rate. It absolutely does. You just like telling people how dumb they are while being pretty dumb.

#17 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,698 posts

Posted 01 September 2024 - 12:34 PM

Lol at someone trying to defend that Ced SB attempt. Just looking to argue. It seems apparent to me Rich here had already long went to bed because he was tired. Not because he was old, just tired. He didnt see the play but still has the audacity to criticize others. Dont feed the troll.
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

#18 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,698 posts

Posted 01 September 2024 - 12:39 PM

Dont let him hijack another thread with his stupidity. Stay on topic.

Feels like its will be another grind this month despite the schedule. Things could clean up. Its possible. No reason to expect it at this point. Not even sure they get to 90 wins anymore

#19 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,792 posts

Posted 01 September 2024 - 12:42 PM

Lol at someone trying to defend that Ced SB attempt. Just looking to argue. It seems apparent to me Rich here had already long went to bed because he was tired. Not because he was old, just tired. He didnt see the play but has the audacity to still criticize others. Dont feed the troll.

I’ve seen the play. It just cracks me up how you guys like to over analyze every pitch, every play and so forth. Sure, call me names for questioning you but you guys do it to the nth degree. You guys are calling people who know baseball (the players and manager) a thousand times better than you, idiots for every single thing that happens in a game and doesn’t work out.

Guaranteed, if that 1-2 pitch is a slider in the dirt and Mullins steals third, not a peep from any of you. And if Holliday hits a sac fly you’re praising Ced for playing little ball. It’s the land of the second guessers.

#20 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,792 posts

Posted 01 September 2024 - 12:44 PM

Dont let him hijack another thread with his stupidity. Stay on topic.
Feels like its will be another grind this month despite the schedule. Things could clean up. Its possible. No reason to expect it at this point. Not even sure they get to 90 wins anymore

I forgot. You think this is your board. LOL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=