Posted 12 August 2024 - 03:27 PM

Pretty well sums it up.

#3 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 12 August 2024 - 04:01 PM

Santander has been more of a doubles hitter, the last few years. This year, more of those doubles are clearing the fence. He's having a career year at 29 years old. Earlier in this season, I was all for the O's extending him. But now that he's having a career year, the asking price is probably going to exceed the level of production he'll be capable of, in the next few years. A switch hitting power threat isn't a dime a dozen. You have to assume the O's could afford his asking price, but what will he want in contract length? I'd have to top out at 5 years. And then, as Chris wrote, can the O's get that production from a combo of young, controllable players? 

My other question is, how/where does Mateo fit next year and beyond. If we're seeing the real Holliday, you have to think that Jorge has lost his starting 2B position. Is there room for him and Urias to both stay as back up infielders?   

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#4 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,463 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 12 August 2024 - 05:41 PM

There is no room for both Urias and Mateo.

#5 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,039 posts

Posted 12 August 2024 - 06:54 PM

There's always room for both as long as one is always hurt!

#6 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 13 August 2024 - 05:59 AM

Santander has been more of a doubles hitter, the last few years. This year, more of those doubles are clearing the fence. He's having a career year at 29 years old. Earlier in this season, I was all for the O's extending him. But now that he's having a career year, the asking price is probably going to exceed the level of production he'll be capable of, in the next few years. A switch hitting power threat isn't a dime a dozen. You have to assume the O's could afford his asking price, but what will he want in contract length? I'd have to top out at 5 years. And then, as Chris wrote, can the O's get that production from a combo of young, controllable players? 

My other question is, how/where does Mateo fit next year and beyond. If we're seeing the real Holliday, you have to think that Jorge has lost his starting 2B position. Is there room for him and Urias to both stay as back up infielders?   

His avg and obp are certainly a concern over a long deal if he's not hitting 40+ home runs.

#7 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 13 August 2024 - 11:20 AM

I had to look it up, Mateo has some experience at 3B. If I had to pick one of them, I suppose I'd go with him. 

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#8 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,811 posts

Posted 13 August 2024 - 11:34 AM

I had to look it up, Mateo has some experience at 3B. If I had to pick one of them, I suppose I'd go with him.

Mateo being capable of backing up SS and being a better base runner probably tips the scale even though Urias is probably a slightly better hitter. Mateo will also be in his last year of arb next year if that matters.
  • weird-O likes this

#9 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,288 posts

Posted 13 August 2024 - 02:20 PM

I like having Mateo's speed and infield defense but only as a utility player.  I've had my fill of his .200-.220 batting averages and .260 OBP. as a regular. 

#10 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,330 posts

Posted 13 August 2024 - 02:29 PM

If Mateo is a regular on a team with Westburg, Henderson, and Holliday, something has gone horribly wrong.

#11 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,288 posts

Posted 13 August 2024 - 03:01 PM

If Mateo is a regular on a team with Westburg, Henderson, and Holliday, something has gone horribly wrong.

That's for sure. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=