Photo

CBS Sports: Which Contender Needed To Do More?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 158,386 posts

Posted 01 August 2024 - 10:11 AM

https://www.cbssport...lp-playoff-run/

#2 Tranquil1

Tranquil1
  • Members
  • 114 posts
  • LocationFrankford, Delaware

Posted 01 August 2024 - 10:18 AM

https://www.cbssport...lp-playoff-run/

It seems fashionable to dump on Elias for not doing more at this deadline. I trust his decision making. We have one of the best teams in baseball and a top farm system. It has happened under his direction. So I say call off the dogs already.

#3 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 01 August 2024 - 10:37 AM

The baseball media wants teams to go all in no matter the cost so they'll have something to talk about.  Then if it doesn't work, they'll have something to talk about and pretend they would have made better deals.

• Tranquil1 and RichardZ like this

#4 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,463 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 01 August 2024 - 11:20 AM

I thought the article was spot on, especially the part where they talked about the two reasons to build a strong minor league system.

#5 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,915 posts

Posted 01 August 2024 - 08:28 PM

I'm in agreement with the article.  I thought the Orioles had enough ammo to pull the trigger on the big trade.  I think Elias would prefer to see his vision be carried out with a team having his draft picks as the pillars.  

My biggest reason for going all in this year is that there is no other team in the AL that is clearly a better favorite to go to the WS.  The Orioles are in the mix and have an opportunity to go to the WS this year.   A big move for a guy like Skubal would have moved the needle way into their favor, imo.  Of course they can still do it and Elias can say he got there and kept his prospects.  But if they don't get there Burnes may not be here next year, and somebody else might load up on the few good pitchers around.  

And if the Orioles go through the next several years never getting that pitching staff that puts them over the top they will look back at this year as the best opportunity and they missed it so they could keep their top prospects.  

#6 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,822 posts

Posted 01 August 2024 - 08:36 PM

I'm in agreement with the article.  I thought the Orioles had enough ammo to pull the trigger on the big trade.  I think Elias would prefer to see his vision be carried out with a team having his draft picks as the pillars.  

My biggest reason for going all in this year is that there is no other team in the AL that is clearly a better favorite to go to the WS.  The Orioles are in the mix and have an opportunity to go to the WS this year.   A big move for a guy like Skubal would have moved the needle way into their favor, imo.  Of course they can still do it and Elias can say he got there and kept his prospects.  But if they don't get there Burnes may not be here next year, and somebody else might load up on the few good pitchers around.  

And if the Orioles go through the next several years never getting that pitching staff that puts them over the top they will look back at this year as the best opportunity and they missed it so they could keep their top prospects.  

I mean, I get that flipping Mayo for Skubal or Basallo for Crochet moves the needle a bit, but let’s get real here.

The O’s bullpen aint going to get them there. 

#7 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 02 August 2024 - 09:39 AM

The one move I would have liked to have seen was getting Lucas Erceg. He's a little older, to be sure, but there's still a lot to like. He could pitch both setup and close, and he's under team control until 2030. The Royals only gave up their No. 4 and No. 18 prospects, which is probably a bit misleading since their farm system isn't that highly rated. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=