Photo

Camden Chat: There is a way for the Orioles to both buy and sell at the trade deadline

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 159,364 posts

Posted 23 July 2024 - 06:19 AM

Camden Chat: There is a way for the Orioles to both buy and sell at the trade deadline

https://www.camdench...umors-news-2024

#2 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 63,588 posts

Posted 23 July 2024 - 07:28 AM

Mountcastle and Hays should also be mentioned in this article.

I do think it's plausible that the O's trade away from their current MLB roster in hopes of improving things while not giving up as much upper level prospect value.  Mountcastle, Hays, and Urias all are pretty expendable and could be replaced internally.  Mullins less so, but if you're putting together a package for Robert, then you could deal him elsewhere.  Kjerstad and Povich are both still prospects in my opinion, but either could be included in a big trade.

I don't think the MLB pieces - aside from Kjerstad - are really enough to headline a big trade.  Do think Mountcastle or Mullins could be used for a capable SP or really good BP arm, but its tough to match up where both teams give up MLB talent so might need to be a 3-way trade, which Elias has done in the recent past.

Lot of options for the O's.  Only bad choice would be to not patch the holes, but certainly open to opinion on what the best way to do that will be.

#3 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,686 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 23 July 2024 - 07:36 AM

What is a capable SP and does that improve the teams chances in October? Kremer, Suarez, and Irvin could all be called capable SP and I don't want to see them starting in October. I don't think I move in this direction.

Now if you could move Mountcastle or Mullins for a really good RP then I am all for that.

But I think the first move should be for the SP you want for October. For 2 reasons.

1. That is the biggest need.

2. The pieces you have to move to get a Skubal set up how you structure your roster the rest of the way. The dominoes fall in place better if you start with the big move otherwise you may shoot yourself in the foot. For example, I don't want to trade Mountcastle then find out that Mayo is the key to getting Skubal. Now you have 1B for O'Hearn and Santander the rest of the way. I'd prefer to keep Mounty in that case.

• RichardZ likes this

#4 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 63,588 posts

Posted 23 July 2024 - 07:53 AM

Eflin, Eovaldi, Bassitt, Fedde would all be guys in the capable category for me. Suarez, Povich and Irvin are not, I think all of them are fringe (at best, with downside to be worse). I think two capable SP help us more than one ace level like Skubal or Crochet (ignoring the questions about if either guy would continue pitching like an ace). Also would cost less.

• BSLSteveBirrer likes this

#5 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,686 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 23 July 2024 - 08:39 AM

Yes those guys would certainly cost less than Skubal or Crochet.

Yes I think we could benefit from 2 guys at that level.

I just think I"d rather have Skubal than 2 of them. We get to the playoffs either way. I like my chances of Burnes, Skubal, GRod a lot come October.

#6 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 63,588 posts

Posted 23 July 2024 - 08:44 AM

Yes those guys would certainly cost less than Skubal or Crochet.

Yes I think we could benefit from 2 guys at that level.

I just think I"d rather have Skubal than 2 of them. We get to the playoffs either way. I like my chances of Burnes, Skubal, GRod a lot come October.

I'll take Burnes, Skubal, Rodriguez, Kremer over Burnes, Rodriguez, Eflin, Fedde as a postseason rotation (and you do need to start that 4th guy in a 7-game series, at least once and maybe twice depending on rest heading into the series), but I'll take the Efflin/Fedde version as giving us a better chance at winning the division than just adding Skubal.

Of course my argument is that Eflin/Fedde etc shouldn't cost much, so you could easily make the case to go get Skubal AND one of those guys.  That'd be best case, pending the cost for Skubal being palatable.

#7 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,484 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 24 July 2024 - 12:32 AM

We have one thread with every conversation and we'll have one conversation spread out over 3 or 4 threads.  Useful,

1) I don't know what they'll do with Mullins, Hays and Mountcastle, because (as I said elsewhere), I'd expect them to honor whatever these guys say they want to do in 2024.  If they want to be part of this run in 2024 in the more limited roles, ok, buy in and take care of it later.  If they want to start the next opportunity now, you have a week.

The Pirates need Mullins, Hays and Mountcastle.  There will be a number of teams asking about these guys for the same reasons I target other players like this in other years. We're on the other side of the coin, now.  Getting useful players cheap is good if you're the Pirates.

The Phillies work for Mullins and Hays too, but they'd want to move Castellanos. There's things you could do if you wanted to be creative.  Mullins and Hays are Dombrowski type players.

The Royals also desperately need help in the OF. The Braves still need help.

The Royals, Mariners and Dodgers all need help at 3B.

I don't know why everyone says you have to make every trade for a RP or a SP, but you don't.  You can just trade these guys to get to the roster you want to get too.   Trade them for something someone else wants to accomplish whatever it is you want to do.

These are reconfiguration moves, that's fine.

If you do that, I want Brenton Doyle (COL) for CF.  Bradfield, Norby +

Somewhere, make a play for Shane McClanahan amongst players from other Organizations.  They Rays like someone you haven't heard of from everyone.

Figure out if you can get Skubal.  If you are putting something bigger together for Skubal you can probably get Foley and Chafin too.

#8 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,892 posts

Posted 24 July 2024 - 12:44 AM

Mountcastle and Hays, in particular are beginning to strike me as the types of players few teams want to trade assets for because you can find guys like them every offseason.

#9 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,432 posts

Posted 24 July 2024 - 10:40 AM

Mountcastle and Hays, in particular are beginning to strike me as the types of players few teams want to trade assets for because you can find guys like them every offseason.

I guess Mountcastle could be included in a package, but nobody is going to be burning Elias' phone up asking about him in a one-on-one transaction. 

#10 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,602 posts

Posted 24 July 2024 - 10:52 AM

Read something yesterday that there just arent a lot of bats on the market and contenders are talking more than ever about trying to match up on a deal. So I could see teams being interested Mountcastle

#11 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,792 posts

Posted 24 July 2024 - 11:15 AM

We have one thread with every conversation and we'll have one conversation spread out over 3 or 4 threads. Useful,

1) I don't know what they'll do with Mullins, Hays and Mountcastle, because (as I said elsewhere), I'd expect them to honor whatever these guys say they want to do in 2024. If they want to be part of this run in 2024 in the more limited roles, ok, buy in and take care of it later. If they want to start the next opportunity now, you have a week.

The Pirates need Mullins, Hays and Mountcastle. There will be a number of teams asking about these guys for the same reasons I target other players like this in other years. We're on the other side of the coin, now. Getting useful players cheap is good if you're the Pirates.

The Phillies work for Mullins and Hays too, but they'd want to move Castellanos. There's things you could do if you wanted to be creative. Mullins and Hays are Dombrowski type players.

The Royals also desperately need help in the OF. The Braves still need help.

The Royals, Mariners and Dodgers all need help at 3B.

I don't know why everyone says you have to make every trade for a RP or a SP, but you don't. You can just trade these guys to get to the roster you want to get too. Trade them for something someone else wants to accomplish whatever it is you want to do.

These are reconfiguration moves, that's fine.

If you do that, I want Brenton Doyle (COL) for CF. Bradfield, Norby +

Somewhere, make a play for Shane McClanahan amongst players from other Organizations. They Rays like someone you haven't heard of from everyone.

Figure out if you can get Skubal. If you are putting something bigger together for Skubal you can probably get Foley and Chafin too.

1) Am I understanding this correctly. Mullins, Hays, and Mountcastle shouldn’t be traded unless they’re ok with it?

#12 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,432 posts

Posted 24 July 2024 - 11:19 AM

Hey, if they can get a decent bullpen arm for Mountcastle, make the deal.  I just don't see it happening.  Hitting in baseball right now is pitiful so it's understandable that there wouldn't be too many available bats.  And the best hitters aren't going to be dangled for the most part.  So, if a team is content with getting a .250-.260 hitter who can give you 15-20 homeruns, play a decent first base and be a good teammate, then I guess Elias can at least ask about the interest.  I doubt anyone is. 

#13 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,602 posts

Posted 24 July 2024 - 11:20 AM

1) Am I understanding this correctly. Mullins, Hays, and Mountcastle shouldn’t be traded unless they’re ok with it?

Gonna just honor whatever they want no matter how it affects our roster.

#14 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,602 posts

Posted 24 July 2024 - 11:23 AM

I can confidently say dude would be the worst GM since Syd Thrift

#15 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 24 July 2024 - 11:52 AM

I can confidently say dude would be the worst GM since Syd Thrift

Remember BJ Surhoff crying after being traded? Syd Thrift was cold blooded, did not honor the players' wishes. 

• TwentyThirtyFive likes this

#16 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 63,588 posts

Posted 24 July 2024 - 11:57 AM

Remember BJ Surhoff crying after being traded? Syd Thrift was cold blooded, did not honor the players' wishes.

I think BJ just knew who he was being traded for.
  • TwentyThirtyFive likes this

#17 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,483 posts

Posted 24 July 2024 - 12:03 PM

Didn't he have a special needs child, and they had finally found a place that was helping him in Baltimore?

#18 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 24 July 2024 - 12:04 PM

I think BJ just knew who he was being traded for.

Then he knew more than Thrift!

(That actually might have been a different deal, but I still like the joke.)

#19 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 24 July 2024 - 12:05 PM

Didn't he have a special needs child, and they had finally found a place that was helping him in Baltimore?

I think that's right.

• 85Knight likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=