What are Povich's Chances?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 mikezpen

mikezpen
  • Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 02 July 2024 - 11:50 AM

Will he make it as a solid #3 starter or w/he turn into Cole Irvin?

#2 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,507 posts

Posted 02 July 2024 - 11:59 AM

We will see. I feel like Povich can settle into being a reg part of the rotation. A #3 is possible. So is just a decent enough #4 or #5 like Kremer. But I do think he makes it and stays

#3 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,790 posts

Posted 02 July 2024 - 12:03 PM

Looks like the stuff is better than Irvin’s although that’s a fair comp. We haven’t seen the strikeouts close to what he was doing in the minors. Irvin never had that. Hopefully, that improves and he’s a better version of Irvin.

#4 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 63,028 posts

Posted 02 July 2024 - 12:12 PM

I think Irvin would be a lower end result for him, though not his floor as its entirely possible he flames out and doesn't stick.  I don't think he's got much upside for front-of-rotation because his stuff is just ok, but I do think he's got as better stuff than either Irvin or Kremer and that he has a good feel for pitching, so perhaps he could.

If I had to project, I'd say he's a reliable starter for the next several years but not we're particular concerned about extending or re-signing.

#5 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,432 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 02 July 2024 - 01:00 PM

Stuff doesn't seem at all special, so he really has to lean into his command.

Reasonable expectations seem back-end starter.  That's actually good (being a ML starter is good), and you can certainly dream something ticks up like a John Means.

Ticks down in command push him off, ticks up in stuff elevate him some.

• RichardZ likes this

#6 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 15,090 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 02 July 2024 - 03:34 PM

I think he's ultimately a 3/4 or even a 5 in a great rotation. Stuff is good not great but a good pitch mix and knows how to use it.

#7 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,241 posts

Posted 02 July 2024 - 04:40 PM

While Povich certainly doesn't have McDermott's electric stuff, I think he can develop into a decent starting pitcher. But since he relies on breaking balls to get hitters out, command has to be consistently solid. He doesn't have much room for error. Until he learns to control his arsenal, I think the jury is still out.

#8 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,391 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 02 July 2024 - 04:45 PM

I think he's a 4 or a 5. Having a plethora of pitches and knowing how to use it sounds great on paper. But that only goes so far. His stuff isn't that good so he has just a very small margin for error. If he's the worst starter you have to send out there I'd say we'd be in pretty good shape. If you have 3 of them in your rotation that's not good enough.
  • RichardZ likes this

#9 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,507 posts

Posted 02 July 2024 - 05:51 PM

Its the breaking stiff that has to get better. Thats what Texas pounded the other day. Fastball is effective. THink the change can be effective. Both the slider and curve flash at times but too often just seem like spinners

#10 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,241 posts

Posted 02 July 2024 - 06:06 PM

I think Povich's breaking stuff is solid, but he just has to consistently command it.  It was an issue in the minor leagues and still is one. 

#11 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,026 posts

Posted 03 July 2024 - 07:26 PM

The ceiling is probably a #3. More likely to me he settles in as a #4 or #5 for a couple.of years before transitioning to the BP.

#12 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,813 posts

Posted 04 July 2024 - 06:24 AM

Cut out the walks and trust his fastball and he is anywhere from 3-5. Certainly useful part of the rotation. I swear these kids are always leery of their fastball not being good enough, get ahead in the count and then nibble instead of throwing a good heater to finish it.

#13 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,009 posts

Posted 04 July 2024 - 07:47 AM

I think his chances went up a bit with Irvin being sent to the bullpen. I like Povich.He has a bulldog presence on the mound and his stuff is pretty good. I'd like to see him get ahead in counts more and display a bit more overall command. However, He's done a decent job and I think he fits in well with the rest of the rotation.
  • Hooded Viper likes this
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=