• russsnyder likes this

#2 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,558 posts

Posted 30 June 2024 - 09:30 AM

I like the balance that Hyde has found for keeping Adldy fresh between catching and DH. Just wish we had a slightly better offensive catcher than McCann if the plan was to DH Adley as often as they are.

Granted, guys who are good defensive catchers and aren't terrible offensively are usually starting on other teams so finding a good offensive backup is difficult.

#3 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 63,588 posts

Posted 30 June 2024 - 09:36 AM

I like the balance that Hyde has found for keeping Adldy fresh between catching and DH. Just wish we had a slightly better offensive catcher than McCann if the plan was to DH Adley as often as they are.

Granted, guys who are good defensive catchers and aren't terrible offensively are usually starting on other teams so finding a good offensive backup is difficult.

This is why a share of the position with Basallo next year is so appealing.
  • BobPhelan likes this

#4 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,558 posts

Posted 30 June 2024 - 09:58 AM

Having two elite offensive catchers is absolutely a luxury that about 99% of teams don't have.

I've always been in the camp that, if Basallo's offensive upside is as great as it appears, I'd rather take advantage and make him a full time 1B.

Catching Basallo 1/2 to 1/3 of the time could help find additional ABs for Kjerstad, Mayo, etc.

#5 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,484 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 30 June 2024 - 09:59 AM

This is why a share of the position with Basallo next year is so appealing.

I'm all in for the plan to use Adley and Basallo at catcher/DH.

I'd still slow play Basallo in 2025 and keep O'Hearn in play.

...but even with both of those guys, you'll still want a 3rd catching option, not to play a ton, but be a defensive replacement for Basallo late, you get someone out of the game in a blowout, to cover for a couple weeks for injury, capable but comfortable being in the support role for this team.

When I argue for a James McCann extension, I just think he'd be that guy.  He's capable, but he's in his mid-30s.

It's a modest extension, something like 4M in 2025 and 2.5M in following years, but this is home and when you announce it and someone asks if he thought about deals with other teams he says...."I'm here for the Championships."

• B00E00N00 likes this

#6 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 159,364 posts

Posted 30 June 2024 - 10:00 AM

For the 2nd straight year, his offensive numbers are significantly better at DH (though there are limited samples overall)... while his value is largely tied to him catching. 

#7 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 63,588 posts

Posted 30 June 2024 - 12:52 PM

...but even with both of those guys, you'll still want a 3rd catching option, not to play a ton, but be a defensive replacement for Basallo late, you get someone out of the game in a blowout, to cover for a couple weeks for injury, capable but comfortable being in the support role for this team.

When I argue for a James McCann extension, I just think he'd be that guy. He's capable, but he's in his mid-30s.

It's a modest extension, something like 4M in 2025 and 2.5M in following years, but this is home and when you announce it and someone asks if he thought about deals with other teams he says...."I'm here for the Championships."

I absolutely hate the idea of 3 catchers and always have. And it's even more pointless if the two catchers are Rutshcman and Basallo. You'd never need to PH for either, so it's strictly injury (or perhaps PR for Basallo) where you'd be worried about losing the DH. Not a big enough downside to otherwise play a man short all year which is what you're doing with 3 catchers. A clodding thumper, a versatile defender, or even just a fast runner would have more use to the roster.
  • BSLSteveBirrer likes this

#8 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,602 posts

Posted 30 June 2024 - 01:05 PM

When I argue for a James McCann extension, I just think he'd be that guy.  He's capable, but he's in his mid-30s.

OMG no

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=