#1 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,432 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 23 June 2024 - 05:28 PM

I went back through every page and this guy never had one. 

6th round pick (6-181) by the Orioles in 2016.

I actually wound up looking at him because he was part of an answer in another thread.

He was the player the Orioles traded to the Rays for Tim Beckham. 

The Rays traded him in a roster cleanup move to the Indians for an unranked Dominican kid (back to that in a minute)

2022 was a busy year....sold by Cleveland to the Giants....selected off waivers by the White Sox and then released.  Signed on with the Brewers.

Tobias Myers (now 25) debuted with the Brewers this season and if they hang onto win today (up 6-1 in the 8th)....he'll be 5-2 with a 3.12 ERA. 

....from an Orioles 6th round pick in 2016.  Crazy.

#2 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,432 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 23 June 2024 - 05:39 PM

Interestingly (or maybe not) Tanner Scott was also selected by the Orioles with pick 181 two years earlier (2014).

Tanner Scott has a career WAR of 6.6.  That seems to be pretty good for pick 181....but....it's only 4th best.

15 players have played MLB from pick 181.

...including the A's Scott Spiezio (8.8 WAR) in 1993, the Cards Bill Caudill (11.1 WAR) in 1974 and what some believe is my favorite player of All-Time (nope, sorry), you guessed it, the Dodgers Matt Kemp (21.4 WAR) in 2003. 

Bobby Witt was also drafted 181 in 1982 by the Reds but didn't sign and would be drafted 1-3 by the Rangers in 1985.

....is that a trivia question? ....who is the only father-son combo both drafted in the top 3 ?

#3 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,790 posts

Posted 23 June 2024 - 05:47 PM

I went back through every page and this guy never had one.

6th round pick (6-181) by the Orioles in 2016.

I actually wound up looking at him because he was part of an answer in another thread.

He was the player the Orioles traded to the Rays for Tim Beckham.

The Rays traded him in a roster cleanup move to the Indians for an unranked Dominican kid (back to that in a minute)

2022 was a busy year....sold by Cleveland to the Giants....selected off waivers by the White Sox and then released. Signed on with the Brewers.

Tobias Myers (now 25) debuted with the Brewers this season and if they hang onto win today (up 6-1 in the 8th)....he'll be 5-2 with a 3.12 ERA.

....from an Orioles 6th round pick in 2016. Crazy.

He was available in the Rule 5 this year. No one wanted him. Got the Rays Junior Caminero though.

#4 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,432 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 23 June 2024 - 06:04 PM

Here's the point I was going to make on the question of why Shane McClanahan could be available.

When I say "it's in their character", it's what the Rays do.  They aren't holding anyone.  Everything is transition.  They want to identify Talent, develop it and they leverage that chaos or churn culture as part of being a notorious small-market team.

That Dominican kid they traded Tobias Myers for (btw, game over, Brewers win) was Junior Caminero who is now the Rays top prospect and #3 on the Big Board.  When the Rays want a couple kids from your system, they might know something you don't even if you care nothing about it today.

So walk through the details on your own....but...go back to...

...the 2014 trade of David Price (to Tigers)

...the 2018 trade of Chris Archer (to Pirates)

...the 2020 trade of former Cy Blake Snell (to Padres)

...the 2024 trade for Tyler Glasnow (to Dodgers)

...they've made the Playoffs the last 5 years....they're trading these guys for Talent they want that they have continued to churn.  Unlike other teams who are typically holding onto their top Talent as part of a competitive team(s), the Rays haven't operated that way.  

They move guys for Talent they want.  McClanahan was one of the betters starters in MLB in 2022, but he's got some injury risk today, he's a Super 2 and it's unlikely they take him all the way to FA....they've actually traded guys typically with more than just the last year to FA....that's basically no time between recovery and the window they routinely start moving.

Rays perspective: Shed the risk, shed some cost and add a handful of guys that nobody knows that will be quality guys for us.

Orioles perspective: By lower with the risk, trade guys the Rays like (oh no...maybe we should have held them) and wait for the return to strength, not buy high after the fact like Crochet.

Maybe they don't want to trade him.  Maybe he's a broken toy and doesn't make it back.  Everything is risk-reward, 

...but it's certainly in the nature of the Rays to consider something like trading him for [whatever]

#5 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,432 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 03 July 2024 - 10:53 AM

So, if you play fantasy baseball in a deep Dynasty League, pick up Gregory Barrios.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=