Photo

Balt Sun: Orioles reset: Offense is down across MLB. But not in homer-crazed Baltimore.

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 158,386 posts

Posted 11 June 2024 - 12:30 PM

Balt Sun: Orioles reset: Offense is down across MLB. But not in homer-crazed Baltimore.

#2 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,641 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 11 June 2024 - 12:40 PM

They gotta stop manipulating the baseballs so much every damn year. I’m glad I’m not in a dynasty/keeper fantasy baseball league, the volatility would drive me even more crazy.

#3 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,792 posts

Posted 11 June 2024 - 12:58 PM

They gotta stop manipulating the baseballs so much every damn year. I’m glad I’m not in a dynasty/keeper fantasy baseball league, the volatility would drive me even more crazy.

Which way did they go this year?

#4 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,876 posts

Posted 11 June 2024 - 01:17 PM

I prefer this style (even though the O's are obviously the anomaly), as opposed to the 2019 style when every random journeyman like Renato Nunez was cranking 30 HRs.

Two teams with 300+ HRs, all but six teams had 210+ and the league average was 226.

That's not fun baseball.

#5 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,288 posts

Posted 11 June 2024 - 02:16 PM

Offense is down because of the hitting philosophies of players today.  Batting average is irrelevant and OBP for the most part.  Pitchers are still throwing high heat, hitters still swing at everything, umpires are calling a huge strike zone, and it all ends up being less offense. I don't think most younger fans care one way or another.  Maybe the older generations are appalled.  Who knows.  Probably most of them don't care either.  If you're winning like the Orioles, that's all that matters at the end of the day.  It's not my cup of tea and there's no way I can watch a whole game because the boredom is just too excruciating.  I wish I could look into a crystal ball and know which innings would be the ones where there would actually be some action and run scoring so I could skip all the other ones.  As it turns out, I miss a lot of that but that's what MLB Highlights are for.  

#6 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,811 posts

Posted 11 June 2024 - 02:32 PM

Offense is down because of the hitting philosophies of players today. Batting average is irrelevant and OBP for the most part. Pitchers are still throwing high heat, hitters still swing at everything, umpires are calling a huge strike zone, and it all ends up being less offense. I don't think most younger fans care one way or another. Maybe the older generations are appalled. Who knows. Probably most of them don't care either. If you're winning like the Orioles, that's all that matters at the end of the day. It's not my cup of tea and there's no way I can watch a whole game because the boredom is just too excruciating. I wish I could look into a crystal ball and know which innings would be the ones where there would actually be some action and run scoring so I could skip all the other ones. As it turns out, I miss a lot of that but that's what MLB Highlights are for.

AL runs are up 4.29 to 4.10 compared to the glory days of 1974, despite BA being down .238 to .258. You can like whatever you want to like obviously, but offense isn’t down because of the hitting philosophy.
  • BobPhelan, Mackus, Mike B and 2 others like this

#7 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 63,099 posts

Posted 11 June 2024 - 02:36 PM

AL runs are up 4.29 to 4.10 compared to the glory days of 1974, despite BA being down .238 to .258. You can like whatever you want to like obviously, but offense isn’t down because of the hitting philosophy.

Good luck!
  • BobPhelan likes this

#8 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,288 posts

Posted 11 June 2024 - 03:51 PM

I'm sure you cherry picked one of those years from the 70's where scoring was down but regardless, the bottom line is there's so little action in today's game and that's what bores me to tears. And I absolutely believe its the hitter's mentality to put less balls in play if it means 10 more homeruns at the end of the year. They obviously don't care how many strikeouts pile up nor do they have any interest in drawing walks unless your last name is Soto or Henderson. Like I said, if you enjoy the game today, so be it. You obviously do as do most on here. Most of you are too young to even have a reference point for anything to compare it to. That's fine. If you dig solo homeruns and arm injuries, this the game for you.

#9 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 63,099 posts

Posted 11 June 2024 - 04:01 PM

You're right that homers and Ks are way up but walks are nearly identical.

#10 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,811 posts

Posted 11 June 2024 - 04:22 PM

I'm sure you cherry picked one of those years from the 70's where scoring was down but regardless, the bottom line is there's so little action in today's game and that's what bores me to tears. And I absolutely believe its the hitter's mentality to put less balls in play if it means 10 more homeruns at the end of the year. They obviously don't care how many strikeouts pile up nor do they have any interest in drawing walks unless your last name is Soto or Henderson. Like I said, if you enjoy the game today, so be it. You obviously do as do most on here. Most of you are too young to even have a reference point for anything to compare it to. That's fine. If you dig solo homeruns and arm injuries, this the game for you.

I didn't cherry pick I just picked exactly 50 years. Now that I'm not on my phone and it's easier, 1970-74 were all lower scoring than this year, '75 is 0.01 higher, '77 and '79 were a bit higher,  '76 and '78 lower. All had higher BA. Mentality clearly has nothing to do with it, scoring goes all over the place. In the '20s it's been as high as 4.60 with today's mentality.

I don't care if you like the sport. Hate it all you want, and continue telling us about it multiple times every day, go for it. But really I just don't agree with hitter's mentality = worse offense. There's no evidence of that, you're just saying "I don't like the game so the players must be worse." I don't get the Sun, but the article in the OP seems like it was comparing to last year anyway, I think the mentality last year was probably the same.

• mweb08 likes this

#11 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,876 posts

Posted 11 June 2024 - 04:42 PM

I just don't understand the part about the game being boring. Unless it's a total blowout in either direction, I'm generally on the edge of my seat (figuratively speaking).

#12 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,288 posts

Posted 11 June 2024 - 05:09 PM

I didn't cherry pick I just picked exactly 50 years. Now that I'm not on my phone and it's easier, 1970-74 were all lower scoring than this year, '75 is 0.01 higher, '77 and '79 were a bit higher,  '76 and '78 lower. All had higher BA. Mentality clearly has nothing to do with it, scoring goes all over the place. In the '20s it's been as high as 4.60 with today's mentality.

I don't care if you like the sport. Hate it all you want, and continue telling us about it multiple times every day, go for it. But really I just don't agree with hitter's mentality = worse offense. There's no evidence of that, you're just saying "I don't like the game so the players must be worse." I don't get the Sun, but the article in the OP seems like it was comparing to last year anyway, I think the mentality last year was probably the same.

I don't believe players today are worse. Most are incredible athletes with access to superior nutrition and fitness. Players of 50 years ago were great athletes too relative to the average population. The only point I'm trying to make is that its a specific decision to walk less, accept strikeouts and hit as many homeruns as you can. Less action during the course of a game to me is boring to watch and its a microcosm of the collective approach to hitting. Believe what you want. Its a free Country.

#13 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 63,099 posts

Posted 11 June 2024 - 07:09 PM

I don't believe players today are worse. Most are incredible athletes with access to superior nutrition and fitness. Players of 50 years ago were great athletes too relative to the average population. The only point I'm trying to make is that its a specific decision to walk less, accept strikeouts and hit as many homeruns as you can. Less action during the course of a game to me is boring to watch and its a microcosm of the collective approach to hitting. Believe what you want. Its a free Country.

Walks are nearly identical over the past 10 years as in the 70s. So stop saying nobody walks. The opinion part of it you can think whatever you like, if you say its boring, then you think it's boring, no big deal. But you can't make up facts and go unchecked. Walks are equal. Ks and HRs are way up.
  • BobPhelan and makoman like this

#14 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,876 posts

Posted 11 June 2024 - 07:23 PM

What's the bunt data from the 70s compared to today? That's the real juice.

#15 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,467 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 11 June 2024 - 07:36 PM

I don't think there is any debate whatsoever. The hitting today is way more focused on hitting home runs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=