BSL: Impact of Losing Means & Wells

https://baltimorespo...lls-to-surgery/

• weird-O likes this

#2 mikezpen

mikezpen
  • Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 04 June 2024 - 12:13 PM

You're already seeing the effects in Orioles' negotiation w/Teheran. If those two were healthy, the club wouldn't bother. But now, they need somebody to go to if there's another injury, and Teheran could be the guy. Or, if he does well in minor league play, they can shift him to the fifth rotation spot and move Suarez to the pen where they also need help. I think that's where they'd like to have him, anyway.T. mite also be useful in long relief.

I believe the Orioles are playing a waiting game, as they often do, in addressing their pitching issues. Elias isn't leaping into a trade for Luzardo or Oakland's Mason Miller as some sports media are trumpeting.They'e going slowly w/minor moves like Teheran, hoping that a good offer shows up or people like McDermott or Povich develop enough to help. One or both of them coming up w/send Suarez or Irvin to bolster the bullpen.

They have two needs in the pen, I believe: another power arm for set-up and a stronger closer. Suarez could be the set-up guy, but I still think they'll have to deal for the closer. That, however, will come later because the Birds are playing a waiting game.

#3 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,432 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 04 June 2024 - 01:30 PM

Elias isn't leaping into a trade for Luzardo or Oakland's Mason Miller as some sports media are trumpeting.

Mason Miller isn't really a thing. 

Luzardo could be. When we didn't have information on Means and Bradish (ie, the medical prognosis of recovery) it's fair to wait out and see what happens, because we don't know those details.  (it's easy to hide behind, regardless).

Once we know Wells and Means are done for the season (TJS), you open up the next window of action we can discuss.  I discussed several options in another thread that Wile E wanted to shade, but side note on the Detmers' situation, they just optioned him to AAA.

The Orioles have no real financial commitments going forward so with a newly motivated Ownership group, it wouldn't seem unreasonable to lean into a deal where salary was a consideration.

Back to Luzardo.  If you liked him 5 months ago, you should still like him.  Maybe he's buy lower today, we can look at Statcast trends and whatever, but the first 2 months aren't the next 3+ years.  Avisail Garcia is a bad contract for the Fish (12M this year, 12M next year, 5M buyout). If they wanted to move some contract as part of trade value, taking Garcia as a RHed bench bat, could be a thing (with other moves).  I haven't discussed it because Irvin and Suarez are doing well and despite the lamentations of some, the need today is modest.

However, today (maybe somewhat surprisingly), the Marlins DFAd Garcia so if there was a moment to leverage the cost of that contract to add someone like Luzardo, you can't do it later, it's going to have to be now.

Don't really have to do anything, but there's plenty of places to look if you wanted to take some action.  I'm not sure the waiting game is an active strategy. 

#4 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,488 posts

Posted 04 June 2024 - 02:17 PM

IDK for me it's not that big of a deal. Sucks for sure but they're both guys who you went into the season knowing they'd be limited and dealing with injuries. Means could have been a top end SP for the year but let's face it the guy hasn't been reliable since 2021. I think it was foolish to expect a full season from him. With Wells, I saw him more of a BP arm and we could have used him for sure, but he's a depth guy. Has also had dead arm issues.

This is why they should have signed a veteran SP. Especially with Bradish beginning the year on the IL. You can never have enough pitching. Especially when the guys you're counting on have been hampered with injuries over the course of many seasons.

• jamesdean likes this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#5 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,876 posts

Posted 04 June 2024 - 02:38 PM

Yeah, realistically you couldn't have expected much of anything from Means and ideally Wells would've been a weapon in the pen.

You still feel good with Burnes, Bradish, Rodriguez, and Kremer and hopefully continue to steal some games with Irvin and Suarez, though maybe Saurez can take the Wells BP spot eventually.

Things start to get dicey if Bradish elbow doesn't hold up.

#6 mikezpen

mikezpen
  • Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 04 June 2024 - 11:58 PM

I don't think they'll go for Luzardo anytime soon, if ever. I believe they'll look in-house first w/Povich or McDermott. 

#7 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,822 posts

Posted 05 June 2024 - 12:19 AM

I don't think they'll go for Luzardo anytime soon, if ever. I believe they'll look in-house first w/Povich or McDermott. 

You go after a guy like Luzardo if coaches think they can do something with him. Outside of G-Rod and Bradish, they don't have a pitcher that approaches Luzardo's potential. 

I know folks like to pound on him, but the Fish are 18 games under .500, yet he's floating a 3.64 FIP. Yes, his K/9 is down. But like I said, if there's something the O's pitching coaching staff see that they'd tweak? 

Yup.

#8 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,435 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 05 June 2024 - 07:30 AM

Luzardo has been battling some low key injuries himself that might be hinting at a more major injury. He's been my top target the past 2 years, but I would avoid him right now. Numbers aren't good, velo was off a couple weeks ago, and there was something with the elbow.

Said just a flexor strain, and he was back pretty quick, but when dealing with trade capital, and the alarming rate of elbow injuries this year especially, I would tread carefully. 4S, 2S, CH, SL combo, so the SL is the only one that really concerns me elbow wise, when they average 85mph, elbow injury risk is more then 2.5x higher. He averages 84, so he's right on that edge.

@JeremyMStrain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=