https://www.baseball...vieirth01.shtml

#2 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,953 posts

Posted 25 May 2024 - 03:37 PM

Appears to have great stuff. Lack of command/control appears to be the issue. The kind of arm they needed to take a chance on. Kind of like the Fuji of last year.
  • BobPhelan likes this

#3 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,595 posts

Posted 25 May 2024 - 03:42 PM

In a game where no one wants to walk, he sure puts them on.  When Hyde brings him in, smoke them if you got them. 

#4 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,758 posts

Posted 25 May 2024 - 03:43 PM

"Print the playoff tickets."

#5 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,924 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 25 May 2024 - 06:26 PM

6 HRs in 22 innings? Perfect.

#6 mikezpen

mikezpen
  • Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 26 May 2024 - 12:05 AM

Stallings was no more than 3 or 4-A. Worth the risk.

#7 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,313 posts

Posted 26 May 2024 - 07:50 AM

5 on his slider which seems to be the problem. Maybe ditch the slider or change it to more of a cutter? I don’t know and I doubt he can survive on the two seamer alone but I guess we’ll find out. Apparently, he’s better than Wandisson Charles. Joke.

#8 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,769 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 26 May 2024 - 09:06 AM

5 on his slider which seems to be the problem. Maybe ditch the slider or change it to more of a cutter? I don’t know and I doubt he can survive on the two seamer alone but I guess we’ll find out. Apparently, he’s better than Wandisson Charles. Joke.

These are the kinds of guys we’ve been able to turn into something. Obviously far from a sure thing but like you said turn his slider into either more of a sweeper or cutter and try to refine the command (no idea how they’ve been able to do this but they have).
  • RichardZ likes this

#9 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,924 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 26 May 2024 - 10:30 AM

No harm trying, didn't give up anything.

But this guys has a career era of 4.64 and WHIP of almost. In the minors. But he does walk a lot of guys so he should fit right in. LOL

#10 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,991 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 26 May 2024 - 12:39 PM

Side note:  We couldn't trade Garrett Stallings for Blake Hunt.

#11 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,313 posts

Posted 28 May 2024 - 08:21 AM

Side note:  We couldn't trade Garrett Stallings for Blake Hunt.

I saw this and wasn’t sure you were getting at, but:

They either had to option Akin or DL someone else to keep Baumann or DFA someone else. Once they decided Baumann was the odd man out they had see what they could get.

The triceps issue with Kremer was rotten timing. If it had happen days or a week before they would have kept Baumann although he’d still be hanging on by a thread.

I don’t see the correlation between Baumann and Stallings unless you think this was all about getting Blake Hunt.
  • Mackus likes this

#12 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,353 posts

Posted 28 May 2024 - 08:32 AM

They either had to option Akin or DL someone else to keep Baumann or DFA someone else. Once they decided Baumann was the odd man out they had see what they could get.

The triceps issue with Kremer was rotten timing. If it had happen days or a week before they would have kept Baumann although he’d still be hanging on by a thread.

I don’t see the correlation between Baumann and Stallings unless you think this was all about getting Blake Hunt.

Agree on it being bad timing with Kremer and that Baumann would certainly still be here instead of Viera if the timing had been different.

#13 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,277 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 28 May 2024 - 08:33 AM

Dude is just frustrated, because he had devised an intricate, multi-team trade scenario where the O's ultimately swap Baumann for Soto. But Elias wouldn't accept his call. 

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#14 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 28 May 2024 - 12:33 PM

He didn't give up a home run to any of the 5 batters faced yesterday.  :lol:

#15 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,991 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 28 May 2024 - 09:14 PM

Stallings, not Hunt, is the definition of "organizational filler" in a trade.

Wile E wants to keep up the L narrative, but we immediately get evidence that he continues to be wrong, despite his banter.

In fairness to you (in the other thread) you "gave it to me" (ie Hunt is more than nothing) before you chose to try to try and find a different angle to throw shade.

#16 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,953 posts

Posted 28 May 2024 - 09:27 PM

Rofl they brought in a guy 1 publication ranked 23rd in a bottom half org rankings. Im seeing the Mariners somewhere in the 16-23 range for team rankings. Hes 25. Hes in his 8th year. I saw a Mariners fan article on him that described him as an organizational C. Again, one respected guy on the Os here (Bob) ranks him 40-60 in our org. Enough for me to be confident in my take. Decide for yourself what all that means to you about him but I wont be called intellectually dishonest and or not being able to take an L on this when it is at mimimum debateable that he can be labled org depth.

#17 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,991 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 28 May 2024 - 10:03 PM

Blame it on Elias.  The Mariners jumped the line to get Baumann and they offered one of their top 25 prospects which is apparently something that Mike wanted.  Do you think that was the only offer for Baumann?  Elias chose the one he wanted and that's fine. 

He got more than nothing although you're arguing a top 25 kid is nothing. 

Bradish was a low-20s prospect in a bad Angels ranking back then.

Maybe it doesn't matter, but the question kind of is why DFA a guy with some value instead of just having a trade lined up.  There can be more than one answer to that.

When he DFA'd Baumann, I said he should get something for him and you guys (more than one of you) assumed the DFA meant he had to value.  Then he gets some value and you do your Wile E thing.

You are intellectually dishonest because if I'd made a different argument, you'd change your approach just to counter.

#18 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,953 posts

Posted 28 May 2024 - 11:08 PM

No one said he had zero value.  I said he could very well be claimed. I said he wouldn't be traded for anything of substance.  In contrast you thought he could get a comp pick. That was the debate. Thats why you got laughed at.  You asked why not trade him before the DFA because this return that they got back isnt worth attempting to  get him through waivers. THats likely why. They preferred risking him to waivers and getting him back to AAA vs taking the time to work a trade for an organizational C. Once you DFA him and you get a call well you know a team is not only willing to claim him but jump the line to get him. At that point, and only at that point, do you do exactly what you said which is  take something vs nothing for him. Why is this so hard to understand. Bob laid it all out in that thread what Baumann is. He is guy likely to get passed around like so many other RPs of his ilk. Teams dont worry about potentially losing the thinnest of value on guys like this. They let the DFA process take care of it. 

#19 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,953 posts

Posted 28 May 2024 - 11:26 PM

THe O's dont need Hunt. THey didn't particularly want Hunt but he does slide into the Handley, Banuelos, Ardoin, Pavloney group of C in the upper levels that could be a 3rd C for awhile or 1 of them might get  lucky and be the backup C to Adley for '25. 

#20 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,734 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 03 June 2024 - 01:51 PM

Vieira-DFA

• weird-O likes this
@mikeghg

1 user(s) are reading this topic