• BSLChrisStoner, You Play to Win the Game, Mike B and 4 others like this

#2 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,666 posts

Posted 08 August 2023 - 07:04 AM

Very good article, Milton.  It was reported on WBAL this morning that Brown will be back in the booth this Friday but who knows if that's true or not.  

#3 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,038 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 08 August 2023 - 08:44 AM

Excellent. Just SMDH at this whole mess. At this point I think I would be fine with the Angelos' moving the team to Nashville but MLB gives Baltimore a new franchise right back under different ownership AND they keep the O's name.

Or better MLB just forces the stupid family to sell and get out of baseball.

#4 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,666 posts

Posted 08 August 2023 - 09:06 AM

Excellent. Just SMDH at this whole mess. At this point I think I would be fine with the Angelos' moving the team to Nashville but MLB gives Baltimore a new franchise right back under different ownership AND they keep the O's name.

Or better MLB just forces the stupid family to sell and get out of baseball.

The best thing that could happen is for a collection of women to come forward and say they were sexually harassed by Angelos or that he's fired people because of their race or moral beliefs, etc...we could only be that lucky. 

#5 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,879 posts

Posted 08 August 2023 - 09:12 AM

Maybe it's me overreacting again but I have a sinking feeling about this organization moving forward with John Boy at the helm.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#6 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,769 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 08 August 2023 - 09:27 AM

Brown will likely join the list of broadcasters shown the door by MASN and the Angelos family.

Jon Miller

John Lowenstein

Jim Hunter

Gary Thorne

Tom Davis

Rick Dempsey

I am sure I am missing a few.

@mikeghg

#7 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,109 posts

Posted 08 August 2023 - 12:34 PM

Maybe it's me overreacting again but I have a sinking feeling about this organization moving forward with John Boy at the helm.

Of course. Its inevitable whether it takes 6 months or 3 years.

#8 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,109 posts

Posted 08 August 2023 - 12:34 PM

Brown will likely join the list of broadcasters shown the door by MASN and the Angelos family.

Jon Miller
John Lowenstein
Jim Hunter
Gary Thorne
Tom Davis
Rick Dempsey

I am sure I am missing a few.

Some of them were very good decisions

#9 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,214 posts

Posted 08 August 2023 - 12:38 PM

Some of them were very good decisions

A bad decision making process that occasionally gets a firing correct does not mean a good decision was reached. It's still a very flawed system rife with stifling content. 

• DuffMan likes this

#10 JoyinMudville

JoyinMudville

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,052 posts

Posted 08 August 2023 - 05:00 PM

Has this been confirmed? I keep listening to the comments and it is impossible for me to believe that someone would get suspended for this.

And I am no fan of the Angelos family

#11 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 08 August 2023 - 05:04 PM

Has this been confirmed? I keep listening to the comments and it is impossible for me to believe that someone would get suspended for this.

He wasn't "suspended" it was "just normal scheduled rotations"

sure-jennifer-lawrence.gif

• BSLSteveBirrer likes this

#12 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,080 posts

Posted 08 August 2023 - 10:21 PM

2 days in now basically on the story and no strong denial of any kind from the warehouse. In a vacuum it seems insanely benign of course, but John Angelos is a narcissist fraud of the highest order, so there's that. And Dan Connolly's article suggests it might be a "straw that broke the lunatic's back" culmination of tiny perceived slights that Johnny has been tracking on his ledger... Basically any time anyone mentions anything in the past, he checks it off as a strike in the personnel file.

Hunter was on 105.7 today, literally the biggest Baghdad Bob shill the team has ever employed (along with Melewski but he is more print), and claimed that John never told "him" what not to say... but then followed it with a comment that folks were instructed to not talk about or acknowledge Machado's time with the Orioles the first time the Padres came to Oriole Park.

#13 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,214 posts

Posted 08 August 2023 - 10:28 PM

2 days in now basically on the story and no strong denial of any kind from the warehouse. In a vacuum it seems insanely benign of course, but John Angelos is a narcissist fraud of the highest order, so there's that. And Dan Connolly's article suggests it might be a "straw that broke the lunatic's back" culmination of tiny perceived slights that Johnny has been tracking on his ledger... Basically any time anyone mentions anything in the past, he checks it off as a strike in the personnel file.

Hunter was on 105.7 today, literally the biggest Baghdad Bob shill the team has ever employed (along with Melewski but he is more print), and claimed that John never told "him" what not to say... but then followed it with a comment that folks were instructed to not talk about or acknowledge Machado's time with the Orioles the first time the Padres came to Oriole Park.

It suuuuucks the Athletic canned Connolly, cuz his piece would've made the Sunday NY Times, which would catch  Manfred's eye.

#14 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,519 posts

Posted 08 August 2023 - 11:26 PM

It suuuuucks the Athletic canned Connolly, cuz his piece would've made the Sunday NY Times, which would catch  Manfred's eye.

Even if it did, what could Rob Manfred do about it? MLB commissioners have broad authority to punish teams and owners for conduct not considered in the "best interests" of baseball, but I'm not sure this whole business rises to that level.

#15 tennOsfan

tennOsfan

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts
  • LocationJonesborough, TN

Posted 09 August 2023 - 07:22 AM

The thing that gets me about Machado is that the main criticism I remember against the Orioles was not trading Machado earlier when the haul could've been better. Machado's personality set him back from being a beloved Oriole that fans would insist stay with the team, unlike the looming trainwreck we'll have when Adley and Gunnar get in coming years. Plus, most fans understood that a Machado contract would ultimately inhibit us getting back to contention.

When announcers have guardrails put up about what to not say, I think it naturally makes them less entertaining. Not say it should be a free-for-all, but management sets a tone when they say things like "don't mention Manny was an O."

And heck, they didn't have to tell Hunter much since he was such a cheerleader by nature.

#16 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,879 posts

Posted 09 August 2023 - 08:33 AM

John Angelos must think Oriole fans are idiots.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#17 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,080 posts

Posted 09 August 2023 - 09:16 AM

John Angelos must think Oriole fans are idiots.

He thinks most people are idiots. And he actually doesn't care one iota about Orioles fans or what they think. For him it's 100% about minimizing expenditures and maximizing profits while biding time for the inevitable... that is the beginning, middle, and end of the thought process behind every single decision he makes. Make the most money with minimal risk.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=