@benjpalmer

#2 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,519 posts

Posted 07 August 2023 - 07:24 PM

John Angelos is to the manor born; he is very much the beneficiary, and not the originator, of his family's fortune. Inherited power is fraught with peril.

#3 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,721 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 07 August 2023 - 09:32 PM

Good on BSL on putting this out and nice work by Ben. Well said.
  • BSLSteveBirrer likes this

#4 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,298 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 09 August 2023 - 09:20 AM

Take your ball (team) and go home. Wherever you chose that home to be.

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#5 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,427 posts

Posted 09 August 2023 - 09:48 AM

If there was a Mount Rushmore for the worst owners in professional sports, an Angelos would be on it.
  • weird-O and CantonJester like this

#6 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,788 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 09 August 2023 - 10:43 AM

Take your ball (team) and go home. Wherever you chose that home to be.

Just sell the team, to root for them to move is insane.

#7 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,109 posts

Posted 09 August 2023 - 10:46 AM

Yup.

#8 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,080 posts

Posted 09 August 2023 - 10:53 AM

The Peter situation has to resolve itself before we have any hope of a promising next step on that front...

#9 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,109 posts

Posted 09 August 2023 - 11:07 AM

However, if Angelos insisted on owning the team I would absolutely trade 3 yrs with no baseball to get an expansion team and keep the team name under new ownership.

#10 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,038 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 09 August 2023 - 11:37 AM

However, if Angelos insisted on owning the team I would absolutely trade 3 yrs with no baseball to get an expansion team and keep the team name under new ownership.

Me too.

#11 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts

Posted 09 August 2023 - 12:03 PM

Well, depends on which three years we're hypothetically giving up.  I think the next three years are going to be pretty fun, so I'm not giving those up. 

Actually, screw that, I'm not going three years without a team no matter what.  I outlasted Dan Snyder, and I can outlast the Angelos family, too.

• BSLChrisStoner, BobPhelan and CantonJester like this

#12 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,666 posts

Posted 09 August 2023 - 12:30 PM

There were two large articles in the Baltimore Sun this morning about the Brown fiasco.  One just reporting on what happened and the other a series of quotes from various broadcasters/writers in the industry and what they thought about it.  Definitely not complimentary about the Angelos family and virtually every one of them trashed them for such an idiotic decision. This story has some serious legs and is still buzzing in social media circles.  And Brown declined to comment on it.  It still looks like he'll be in the booth Friday. 

#13 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,298 posts

Posted 09 August 2023 - 12:43 PM

Well sure, selling would be preferred. But that doesn't seem to be the direction he wants to go in. So for me, in a scenario where the Orioles stay in Baltimore, but are owned by the Angelos family indefinitely, I prefer relocation. And I don't think that's any more insane than the idea of someone willingly subjecting themselves to rooting for a team run by this family, for an indeterminant period of time. 

#14 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts

Posted 09 August 2023 - 12:48 PM

Well sure, selling would be preferred. But that doesn't seem to be the direction he wants to go in. So for me, in a scenario where the Orioles stay in Baltimore, but are owned by the Angelos family indefinitely, I prefer relocation. And I don't think that's any more insane than the idea of someone willingly subjecting themselves to rooting for a team run by this family, for an indeterminant period of time. 

I think you've said before that you prefer relocation with no replacement team to keeping the O's in Baltimore with Angelos family ownership.  To me, anyone who feels that way is either 1) crazy, 2) not a baseball fan, or 3) both.

• BobPhelan likes this

#15 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,769 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 09 August 2023 - 12:53 PM

I have no interest in wanting the Orioles to move even if we were guaranteed a team.  The Orioles are Baltimore, and JA needs to sign a long term deal.  

• Hooded Viper and BobPhelan like this
@mikeghg

#16 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,718 posts

Posted 09 August 2023 - 01:13 PM

I have no interest in wanting the Orioles to move even if we were guaranteed a team. The Orioles are Baltimore, and JA needs to sign a long term deal.

This 100%
  • BobPhelan, Mike B and Nigel Tufnel like this

#17 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,109 posts

Posted 09 August 2023 - 01:17 PM

We get the name and history. Just an expansion team and new ownership. I dont get wanting this asshat to own the team the next 20 or 30 years. Im too old and some of you are older than me

#18 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,298 posts

Posted 09 August 2023 - 01:18 PM

I think you've said before that you prefer relocation with no replacement team to keeping the O's in Baltimore with Angelos family ownership.  To me, anyone who feels that way is either 1) crazy, 2) not a baseball fan, or 3) both.

You're close to what I said. And I remember the post you're referring to. It shared this same sentiment, but I didn't add the requisite "as long as this and that happens". To clarify, I said I'm willing to watch the O's leave, with no promise of a replacement team. Because I have every faith that a team would replace them in Baltimore, either expansion or relocation. If that makes me crazy in your eyes, I'm OK with that. If you think I'm not a baseball fan, that's fine too. I know who I am, I don't need validation from strangers on a chat board. 

I'll also share my opinion on how people fan. Anyone who intentionally subjects themselves to being a die hard fan of a team whose owner doesn't reward that type of dedication, needs to reevaluate that relationship. If you want to have an "I'm a bigger fan" dick measuring contest, have fun with that. I love baseball. I couldn't and wouldn't ever be able to attach myself to any other baseball team than the Orioles. But for me, it's just entertainment. 

#19 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,879 posts

Posted 09 August 2023 - 01:28 PM

We get the name and history. Just an expansion team and new ownership. I dont get wanting this asshat to own the team the next 20 or 30 years. Im too old and some of you are older than me

15 years ago I would have jumped at that chance.

Now, I don't know. This team, despite the blockhead owner, is set-up for some great things.

But ask me again in a year or two. Things could change quickly when the owner is a spoiled Large Adult Son.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#20 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,298 posts

Posted 09 August 2023 - 01:29 PM

I have no interest in wanting the Orioles to move even if we were guaranteed a team.  The Orioles are Baltimore, and JA needs to sign a long term deal.  

It's just laundry

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=