Photo

Awful Announcing: Exclusive: Orioles announcer Kevin Brown removed from booth for comments on lack of previous wins

• Please log in to reply
173 replies to this topic

#1 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,972 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 07 August 2023 - 02:52 PM

https://awfulannounc...suspension.html

I know we were discussing this in the Orioles general talk thread but if it's confirmed then it's worth its own thread imo

#2 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,267 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 07 August 2023 - 02:53 PM

Please sell the team
  • DuffMan likes this

#3 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts

Posted 07 August 2023 - 03:04 PM

The other day, Melanie Newman was wearing a zipped-up Orioles jacket on the pregame show, so I'm assuming that was to cover up whatever apparel was deemed controversial.

Awful Announcing has confirmed through multiple sources familiar with the situation that Brown has been suspended indefinitely, that it came after the Rays series, that he only wound up on the radio for the Phillies’ series thanks to another controversy about a different announcer’s apparel, and that the comment here seems to be what’s at issue.

#4 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,038 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 07 August 2023 - 03:04 PM

Eff this teams ownership.

#5 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,109 posts

Posted 07 August 2023 - 03:09 PM

So the producers and other employees at MASN arent in trouble for putting up the graphics and displaying just how inept the Os have been  the last number of years. Just doesnt completely add up to me. That this comment was the only thing. Though possible. Either way its horrible PR and par for the course that Angelos ownership cant get out of their own damn way even when things are going as good as possible

• Mike B likes this

#6 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts

Posted 07 August 2023 - 03:12 PM

So the producers and other employees at MASN asrent in trouble for putting up the graphics displaying just how inept the Os have been  the last number of years. Just doesnt completely add up to me.  that this comment was the only thing. Though possible. Either way its horrible PR and par for the course that Angelos ownership cant get out of their own damn way even when things are going as good as possible

I guess the producers could have been suspended, too, and we wouldn't know, but the whole thing does seem idiotic.  Unfortunately, an Angelos is involved, so being idiotic doesn't mean that it can't be true.

#7 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,214 posts

Posted 07 August 2023 - 03:15 PM

I don't get it.

His comment was intended to validate our happiness, not mock the past. 

How ducking paranoid is John Angelos? 

#8 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,769 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 07 August 2023 - 03:15 PM

I really did not think there was anything wrong with what Brown said.  He is the best announcer the Orioles have, it is stupid to bench him, for talking the truth.

Stop worrying about what the announcers say, and sign the extension.  John has the Napoleon complex.  

@mikeghg

#9 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,666 posts

Posted 07 August 2023 - 03:19 PM

So the producers and other employees at MASN arent in trouble for putting up the graphics and displaying just how inept the Os have been  the last number of years. Just doesnt completely add up to me. That this comment was the only thing. Though possible. Either way its horrible PR and par for the course that Angelos ownership cant get out of their own damn way even when things are going as good as possible

Yeah, I thought the same thing.  It's not like he went rogue and just blurted out of nowhere how pathetic they've played in Tampa and continued to belabor the point for several minutes on his own.  If they're showing graphics on the screen, what's he supposed to do? Ignore it and talk about something else?  If this is true, it's just incredibly petty and asinine.  That said, Kevin Brown has a lot of talent and he won't have any trouble finding another job if he bolts or is ultimately fired.  Peter Angelos' hate boy, Ken Rosenthal did quite well without the Orioles after he was ran out of town for being honest about the team.  Can you imagine Mike Preston writing for the Orioles?  Now that would be worth the price of admission. 

#10 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 07 August 2023 - 03:20 PM

Can we get the Angelos’ in a plane with just enough fuel to reach 10,000 feet?

Disgraceful.
@BSLMikeRandall

#11 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,038 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 07 August 2023 - 03:24 PM

Can we get the Angelos’ in a plane with just enough fuel to reach 10,000 feet?

Disgraceful.

That's too much fuel. From 10,000ft they may have enough glide path to make it someplace. Lets say 2500ft.

• Mackus likes this

#12 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,451 posts

Posted 07 August 2023 - 03:30 PM

Hard to believe this is the reason even when an Angelos is involved. If true it's a level of pettiness I can barely even contemplate being achievable.

#13 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,979 posts

Posted 07 August 2023 - 03:41 PM

Even if this isn't true, it'll add more fire for my dislike of anyone named Angelos.
  • DuffMan likes this

#14 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,109 posts

Posted 07 August 2023 - 03:43 PM

How the F is this the Os news of the day. SMFH.

#15 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,542 posts

Posted 07 August 2023 - 03:45 PM

Seems like he'll be back soon. Given how asinine this is I'm not surprised Angelos caved when it became public. If I'm Brown I'm working somewhere else next year.

Barstool Are Dee Tee
@editti22
I’ve got an update for Orioles fans…

I spoke with a high ranking member of the Orioles and they say Kevin Brown will be back in the near future. You’ll get to hear those golden pipes calling the best team in the AL very soon. Carry on with your day and go Orioles.
3:40 PM · Aug 7, 2023

https://twitter.com/...636265460027392

#16 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,972 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 07 August 2023 - 03:47 PM

Confirmed by the Banner https://twitter.com/...651571809193984

#17 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,686 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 07 August 2023 - 03:48 PM

And somehow this circles around to Roy Firestone and OH.

#18 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,214 posts

Posted 07 August 2023 - 03:49 PM

I mean, it was just fact-based reporting. No conjecture. No editorializing. 

#19 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,721 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 07 August 2023 - 03:54 PM

I could’ve sworn I heard KB make a harmless little comment about the payroll recently. I’d bet a lot it was related to that. Could’ve been the Yankees series? Something about their OF being paid more than our entire roster. Don’t think he meant it at all critically, sorry I’m not going back and watching to find it. Does anyone here remember any comment like that?

#20 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,879 posts

Posted 07 August 2023 - 04:00 PM

Jesus Chris this feels like something that would have happened in 2006 not 2023. Brown is a great broadcaster and maybe John missed it but the Orioles have been INTENTIONALLY BAD these last few years. So what are we not supposed to ever mention that again?

I guess the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=