• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 158,325 posts

Posted 01 August 2023 - 03:30 PM

There is still a bit of time before the deadline ends... maybe the O's will add something yet.

If they don't, I don't see a lot of possible justification for not doing something.

Not suggesting they had to do something for the sake of doing something.
Not suggesting the had to give away years of high-end talent under long-term team control for some middling rental.

But I can't think of any justification for not utilizing some of the existing depth to at-least get a quality reliever.

Ortiz has to be a valued commodity.

Trading any of Norby, Beavers, Wagner, Haskin would only sting so much.

For the absolute right deal, you could live with trading Basallo.

Just with those guys - Ortiz, Basallo, Norby, Beavers, Wagner, & Haskin - you couldn't find some bullpen help?
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

#2 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,701 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 01 August 2023 - 04:47 PM

I just want an explanation. And not just cliches and lip service. Screw that.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#3 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

Posted 01 August 2023 - 04:49 PM

Yeah good luck with that 

#4 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,026 posts

Posted 01 August 2023 - 05:22 PM

They did about as little as humanly possible, but they sure did something.

#5 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 20,076 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 01 August 2023 - 05:43 PM

You Had To Do Something Right?

Commas matter!  :D

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#6 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 63,028 posts

Posted 01 August 2023 - 06:12 PM

I think hoping for Verlander was more realistic than hoping for this level of detail from Elias publicly.

#7 85Knight

85Knight

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 01 August 2023 - 06:46 PM

I think hoping for Verlander was more realistic than hoping for this level of detail from Elias publicly.

I think deep down inside Elias is happy he didn't have to give up a lot. I am totally convinced that whatever his spreadsheet and plans said 4 years ago is what he wants to stick with. It may work and we might win several World Series in the near future but it's not the approach I would have taken this year or last.

#8 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,391 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 01 August 2023 - 07:10 PM

I think deep down inside Elias is happy he didn't have to give up a lot. I am totally convinced that whatever his spreadsheet and plans said 4 years ago is what he wants to stick with. It may work and we might win several World Series in the near future but it's not the approach I would have taken this year or last.

Perhaps but I sure would like to see his spreadsheet and plans to see just where he thinks a WS winning team's SP is going to come from. Cause I don't see it with any of our current starters.

#9 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,616 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 01 August 2023 - 09:15 PM

A lot more defensible last year. Our minor league talent wasn't blocked like crazy last year too.

This year it was a little bizarre.

I'm wondering if teams were giving Elias a hard time because they knew our prospects were blocked so they asked for the moon and wouldn't back down.
  • mdrunning likes this

#10 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,648 posts

Posted 02 August 2023 - 06:45 AM

Perhaps but I sure would like to see his spreadsheet and plans to see just where he thinks a WS winning team's SP is going to come from. Cause I don't see it with any of our current starters.

Yeah that's what I want to know.  All the top prospects are hitters.  Starting pitching was barely addressed in the offseason.  Starting pitching was barely addressed at the trade deadline.  And the Orioles won't spend for a top free agent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=