Photo

Is it time to make D.L. Hall a reliever?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 30 June 2023 - 05:38 AM

Averaging four innings pitched per start in the minors in the past two seasons, has the time come for the O's to move Hall to the pen permanently?  His role may be undefined initially, but he has the potential to be a nice piece.  The 24-year old's arm is very good, with K's a big plus (12.95 SO9) and a strong 7.4 H9.  However, his walk rate (5.5 BB9) is poor, contributing to a WHIP of 1.43.   His control is limiting, and may not bode well in tight games, but pitchers (especially lefties) with his stuff are valuable. 

Has the time come to deal him, keep him as a starter, or try the move to the pen? Thoughts?

#2 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,071 posts

Posted 30 June 2023 - 06:19 AM

He should take Akin’s spot. Bring Vespi up as well. 

#3 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 30 June 2023 - 06:28 AM

Hall is in Sarasota trying to workout and recapture his velocity.  I can't imagine he's doing anything in the major leagues anytime soon.

I'm a huge fan of his but his stuff unquestionably took a step back this year.  He attributed this to an offseason back injury that prevented him from doing his typical workouts.  We'll see.  Wouldn't be the 1st guy to peak young.  Hopefully he can find it again.

• Greg Pappas, BobPhelan and makoman like this

#4 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,953 posts

Posted 30 June 2023 - 06:46 AM

Hall is in Sarasota trying to workout and recapture his velocity. I can't imagine he's doing anything in the major leagues anytime soon.

I'm a huge fan of his but his stuff unquestionably took a step back this year. He attributed this to an offseason back injury that prevented him from doing his typical workouts. We'll see. Wouldn't be the 1st guy to peak young. Hopefully he can find it again.

Beyond the obvious control/command issues Ive always had concerns about his maturity and work ethic. I dont see how, and disagree strongly with, people still having this guy as a top 10 prospect in the system. Ive said for awhile hes a RP and the hope was he could be Josh Hader or close to it. Now I know at best hes a RP. There isnt an ounce of doubt left about that and the hopes of being a dominant RP arent that high either. So how in the hell does that make him a top 10 guy in this organization.

#5 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 30 June 2023 - 06:49 AM

Hall is in Sarasota trying to workout and recapture his velocity.  I can't imagine he's doing anything in the major leagues anytime soon.

I'm a huge fan of his but his stuff unquestionably took a step back this year.  He attributed this to an offseason back injury that prevented him from doing his typical workouts.  We'll see.  Wouldn't be the 1st guy to peak young.  Hopefully he can find it again.

I was unaware of that... thank you for that update. Interesting.  I wish him well and hope he can contribute at some point.  Perhaps the MODS can move this to the minor leagues forum?

#6 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,810 posts

Posted 30 June 2023 - 08:40 AM

I'd be thinking about having Grayson let it rip out of the BP the rest of this season.

Hall should have been traded this past offseason. He's never going to amount to anything at the MLB level.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#7 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,988 posts

Posted 30 June 2023 - 10:00 AM

I'd be thinking about having Grayson let it rip out of the BP the rest of this season.

Hall should have been traded this past offseason. He's never going to amount to anything at the MLB level.

I think the door on him being a ML starter is closing, but I do believe there is still a good chance he can be a strong high-leverage reliever. 

As far as trading him... if he's going to be part of package, I'd hope to do so when his perceived value is likely a bit higher.

If you trade him in a package now, he's basically included as a flyer for teams.  

• Greg Pappas likes this

#8 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 30 June 2023 - 10:25 AM

Like I said I'm a huge DL Hall mark.  Saw him pitch a few times in the minors, he had the stuff to be a perennial CY candidate if he could harness it.  The issue is it's just always something with him.  He's not healthy, he's tipping his pitches, now he couldn't work out in the offseason.  Which could be completely legitimate but at some point you just gotta put it together.

Right now he's not the guy he was, so hopefully he can go to Sarasota, get his regimen in, and get that elite stuff back.  I want to say he was sitting like 93-94 most of the time this year, where this is a guy that at one point was routinely sitting 97-98.  

• Greg Pappas likes this

#9 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 30 June 2023 - 10:42 AM

I think the door on him being a ML starter is closing, but I do believe there is still a good chance he can be a strong high-leverage reliever. 

As far as trading him... if he's going to be part of package, I'd hope to do so when his perceived value is likely a bit higher.

If you trade him in a package now, he's basically included as a flyer for teams.  

This.

#10 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,991 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 30 June 2023 - 07:16 PM

No.

#11 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,810 posts

Posted 30 June 2023 - 08:32 PM

Don’t fall in love with every prospect. Especially those who can’t throw strikes. Let another team deal with that shit. Should have traded him last year.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#12 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,953 posts

Posted 30 June 2023 - 08:34 PM

Don’t fall in love with every prospect. Especially those who can’t throw strikes. Let another team deal with that shit. Should have traded him last year.

Teams have been on to him for awhile. Now the velo dip hurts but the overall value isnt drastically different

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=