Photo

Which teams could you see as our best trade partners?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 26 June 2023 - 01:03 PM

Assuming we are looking to acquire a ToR Starter, a reliever (or two), and possibly a 1B, which teams do you feel match up well with us in trade?

Contending teams are unlikely to deal a ToR, so it seems prudent to look to those teams that are long shots to make the playoffs, or at least the underdogs to do so. I'd also expect no serious trades within the division.

I've compiled a list of teams I personally consider to match that criteria below, but your list may be different:

• Detroit
  • Chicago WS
  • Kansas City
  • Oakland
  • Pittsburgh
  • NY Mets
  • St. Louis
  • Washington
  • Colorado

Which teams do you like and are there specific trades you have in mind?

#2 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,953 posts

Posted 26 June 2023 - 01:07 PM

I dont know how much it will actually happen but Ive heard speculation that teams that are both "buyers" may have to match up on trades.

#3 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,810 posts

Posted 26 June 2023 - 01:13 PM

E-Rod had been the one guy I wanted before he got hurt. Now it looks like he'll be out until just before the deadline.

Still looking for a way to land Stroman.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#4 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,953 posts

Posted 26 June 2023 - 01:14 PM

ERod cant be trusted. Period.

#5 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,957 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 26 June 2023 - 02:11 PM

I'm definitely getting on the phone with CWS for 2 months of Giolito, shouldn't be too expensive as a pure rental

#6 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 26 June 2023 - 02:21 PM

I think the White Sox could be interesting partners.  Dylan Cease is a guy any team would love to have, and he's not a free agent until '26.  He is in his arbitration years, and if he keeps performing well, will be making good money, but nothing that would prevent us from trading for him. So, what would entice the White Sox to deal away two and half years of control over Cease?  I guarantee they'd ask for Holliday and perhaps another prospect.  The O's would likely balk at that and perhaps counter with Cowser or Kjerstad as the feature piece.  Would Cowser, Ortiz and Basallo be enough?  Would you sign off on that if you were Elias? 

#7 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 26 June 2023 - 02:24 PM

I'm definitely getting on the phone with CWS for 2 months of Giolito, shouldn't be too expensive as a pure rental

Very possible.  I wonder if we could secure an extension with him?  I'd rather get a guy with at least 1 1/2 years of control remaining, but a rental like Giolito is certainly better than nothing.  :)

#8 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,734 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 26 June 2023 - 02:24 PM

I don't think the Orioles are going to go all in enough to get a TOR starter.  With so many teams still in the playoff racew, I think the price will be too rich for their blood.

I think the White Sox are a good target.  They have a few relievers who could help and maybe Lance Lynn would not be too expensive WRT prospects.

Chapman from Kansas City could be a short term rental.

@mikeghg

#9 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 26 June 2023 - 02:27 PM

Chapman from Kansas City could be a short term rental.

I could see that, though his off the field domestic matter may dissuade any interest in him.  

#10 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,924 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 26 June 2023 - 03:59 PM

I don't think any team in baseball has the volume of top talent in the minors that we do. Time to use it.

• Greg Pappas likes this

#11 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,991 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 26 June 2023 - 05:30 PM

• NY Mets

I'm not sure what you think the Mets are doing.  If you think they're selling, I think that's wildly inaccurate.  I think there's probably things you could do with them, but that reconfigure type stuff, they are more likely to buy.

#12 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,991 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 26 June 2023 - 05:39 PM

Still looking for a way to land Stroman.

I like Stroman from certain angles and I'd have seriously considered signing him 2 years ago.  I'd take him for this season, but I'm kind of souring on extending him at this point.  Especially at 33-34-35, the priority really needs to be competing on the field.

The opt out certainly seems to be influencing the decision for both him and ERod.  Stro has been pretty publicly adamant about extending in Chicago.

I'd be good with him for 2023 and then let him opt out and do whatever, but you have to make that trade with that as the intent which probably creates some complexity that precludes it.

#13 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 26 June 2023 - 05:46 PM

I'm not sure what you think the Mets are doing.  If you think they're selling, I think that's wildly inaccurate.  I think there's probably things you could do with them, but that reconfigure type stuff, they are more likely to buy.

I added them based on their record, putting them seven games under .500 and eight games back in the wild card race.  They have an identical record as the Pirates, and at this juncture longshots to make the playoffs. 

However, you may be correct in your assessment, as I don't follow the Mets.

#14 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,991 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 26 June 2023 - 05:48 PM

I could see that, though his off the field domestic matter may dissuade any interest in him.  

Chapman would be my #1 RP target and I don't think the incident he wasn't charged with in 2015/16 would move anyone's needle.

#15 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 26 June 2023 - 06:33 PM

Chapman would be my #1 RP target and I don't think the incident he wasn't charged with in 2015/16 would move anyone's needle.

You know, I honestly thought that occurred about two years ago.  Thanks for the reminder.

#16 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,991 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 26 June 2023 - 07:27 PM

I think the White Sox could be interesting partners.  Dylan Cease is a guy any team would love to have, and he's not a free agent until '26.  He is in his arbitration years, and if he keeps performing well, will be making good money, but nothing that would prevent us from trading for him. So, what would entice the White Sox to deal away two and half years of control over Cease?  I guarantee they'd ask for Holliday and perhaps another prospect.  The O's would likely balk at that and perhaps counter with Cowser or Kjerstad as the feature piece.  Would Cowser, Ortiz and Basallo be enough?  Would you sign off on that if you were Elias? 

I think the WhiteSox could be an interesting trade partner, but again, I think we kind of need to pay attention to the DNA of that team to make some educated guesses on targets and returns. They were rebuilding darlings 'doing things the right way' and it's been a complete dumpster fire.  There's some speculation they'll start another rebuild, but what does that look like in Chicago.  It's not 'rebuilding', it's an inability to develop Talent and rebuilding doesn't solve that.  Maybe they decide to start over (again)...but I'd guess it's more like the Cards in reload mode....so you can overpay for anyone, but nobody wants to overpay for anyone. Liam Hendricks is a decent cost chip (do to something) and while I always endorse those opportunity, I doubt John is spending any of the 100M he apparently just gave himself, on it.

Hendricks story is interesting but not the thing we need. Tim Anderson has been terrible (.562 OPS and 0 HR) but you still have to pay for him (and $$).  Cease isn't pitching great but you have to pay for him like he's last years Cy Young.  Giolito is their best trade chip and while we may not think he should cost much, I'd guess they think he costs a lot.

I'm not saying this is my first play, but if you wanted to do the simplest thing, you need to be ok buying low on someone like Lance Lynn.  He's been really good several recent years but in the last year of his deal and with an ERA over 6.00 he'd be a guy you just move.  Orioles have been successful with the buy low moves.

Something like Cesar Prieto and a couple of outside top 30 guys for Lynn and 5M. That's not as sexy as Cease or Giolito, but bank on the k-rate and some better defense and put him next to Aaron HIcks in the locker room and hope the magic rubs off.

• Greg Pappas likes this

#17 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,071 posts

Posted 26 June 2023 - 07:31 PM

I'd rather they work a deal for Jordan Montgomery than Lance Lynn. 

#18 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,953 posts

Posted 26 June 2023 - 07:40 PM

Anybody over Lance Lynn. Guy is toast.

#19 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,690 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 26 June 2023 - 07:51 PM

Hard hard pass on Lance Lynn.

#20 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,991 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 26 June 2023 - 07:57 PM

Cool, but the discussion should center around things you can do.

No issues with Montgomery...that was actually the point of the other discussion...now Bradish has turned it up and Flaherty has gone backwards some (so dear Kyle, I don't think you can keep it up, whadareyagonnadonow?)...but Montgomery will be one of the top handfuls of guys on the market. 

The Cardinals will make Flaherty, Montgomery, Hicks and Dejong available (but they aren't selling off and going into rebuild)...so you could reasonably argue for a package of the latter 3 if you wanted, but they are going to want something.  What they probably want is young pitching and that's not really the strength of the Orioles system.

Not at all saying you can't do it...just not sure what the names would be.....they probably look at OF glut and say "Povich and Kjerstad". ...oh....you're moving Kjerstand to 1B?  OK...Povich and Mayo then.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=