#1 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 16 June 2023 - 09:06 AM

With Cionel Perez's horrendous performance thus far (could bounce back) this season, I feel that we could be seeking a lefty reliever, and preferably one that has a track record of late-inning success.  Who we target is mere speculation, but I'd love to get some suggestions.

Here are two guys off the top of my head:

• Aroldis Chapman- Still popping 100 with great stuff on the worst team in baseball.  He'll be dealt, but where remains to be seen.  His suspension in 2021 for a domestic violence incident could possibly factor in any interest we may have.
  • Brad Hand- Former closer that is still a solid option. Walks more than I prefer, but K's per 9 are strong.

#2 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,734 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 16 June 2023 - 09:23 AM

I mentioned Chapman earlier as a possibility.  I think he would be cheap, but I am not sure the Orioles want to bring him in.

• Greg Pappas likes this
@mikeghg

#3 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,734 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 16 June 2023 - 09:25 AM

My question is how long the Orioles ride with Perez.  I feel like he has pitched himself off the team already but they must see something that makes them hope he returns to 2022 form.  

• Greg Pappas likes this
@mikeghg

#4 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,459 posts

Posted 16 June 2023 - 09:32 AM

Really difficult to say with the deadline still some six weeks away. It's also important to remember that Elias isn't likely to overpay in a seller's market.

#5 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 16 June 2023 - 09:34 AM

My question is how long the Orioles ride with Perez.  I feel like he has pitched himself off the team already but they must see something that makes them hope he returns to 2022 form.  

Yes, Perez has certainly showed how dominant he can be when on.  I think they can fix his issues, but we should seek another guy to fortify the pen, whether he corrects or not.

#6 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,459 posts

Posted 16 June 2023 - 10:25 AM

There are no Andrew Millers out there this time around, but Steven Okert (Marlins) and Kenyan Middleton (White Sox) could be intriguing options if their respective teams are looking to sell. Miami doesn't look likely to do so at this point, however.

• Greg Pappas likes this

#7 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 16 June 2023 - 02:54 PM

Do we not trust Coulombe as a lefty out of the BP? Or do we need another LHP there even if we do?

#8 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,522 posts

Posted 16 June 2023 - 04:41 PM

Do we not trust Coulombe as a lefty out of the BP? Or do we need another LHP there even if we do?

I trust Coulombe alright. They need to do something to improve the BP, whether it is a lefty or not doesn't matter a ton to me, esp if there's a not a lot of LHP available as indicated above. If you get a righty and the second lefty behind Coulombe ends up like Hall, Irvin, or Vespi that's not the end of the world to me, as long as you do get that righty you can actually trust, just get someone better than Baker so everyone else can slide down a notch.

• Greg Pappas likes this

#9 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,459 posts

Posted 17 June 2023 - 01:27 PM

Not a reliever, obviously, but Jordan Montgomery could be a possible target as a starter should the Cardinals decide to pull the plug on this season. He's only signed for this year, and while he'll obviously attract interest, it shouldn't take a king's ransom to get him. Elias isn't going to sell the farm for a two-month rental.

#10 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,071 posts

Posted 17 June 2023 - 01:56 PM

Not a reliever, obviously, but Jordan Montgomery could be a possible target as a starter should the Cardinals decide to pull the plug on this season. He's only signed for this year, and while he'll obviously attract interest, it shouldn't take a king's ransom to get him. Elias isn't going to sell the farm for a two-month rental.

Right, but he might be willing to up the offer if Montgomery were amenable to a 3 year extension. He's a solid, mid-rotation LH. 

Of course, he's rep'd by Scott Boras so there goes that idea. 

#11 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,459 posts

Posted 17 June 2023 - 02:01 PM

Right, but he might be willing to up the offer if Montgomery were amenable to a 3 year extension. He's a solid, mid-rotation LH. 

Of course, he's rep'd by Scott Boras so there goes that idea. 

I wouldn't be so concerned with Scott Boras as I would with whether Oriole ownership would approve such an arrangement.

#12 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,071 posts

Posted 17 June 2023 - 02:03 PM

I wouldn't be so concerned with Scott Boras as I would with whether Oriole ownership would approve such an arrangement.

I refuse to be that jaundiced, but I get what you're saying. 

IMO, Boras would want a 4-5 year deal for Montgomery's age 31-35/36 seasons...

#13 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,711 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 20 June 2023 - 10:22 AM

Besides Felix, Yennier and Coulombe, I just need a couple more relievers that can get people out. I don't care if the shoot the ball out of their backside; lefty. righty, doesn't matter. Just throw strikes and record outs.

• Mike B likes this
@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#14 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,734 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 22 June 2023 - 10:21 AM

Besides Felix, Yennier and Coulombe, I just need a couple more relievers that can get people out. I don't care if the shoot the ball out of their backside; lefty. righty, doesn't matter. Just throw strikes and record outs.

Exactly right.  Upgrade the pen.  The pen was my concern coming into the season, and the injuries to Tate and Givens  have really hurt.

@mikeghg

#15 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 23 June 2023 - 11:23 PM

It was just one night, but it was encouraging to see Cionel Perez go two very strong innings tonight.  The talent is there.  Who knows... maybe he recaptures his form from last year.  That would be a big boost. 

#16 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,690 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 23 June 2023 - 11:43 PM

Velo was up tonight for whatever reason. It was also mop up duty. But would be big if he figured it out.
  • Greg Pappas likes this

#17 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,953 posts

Posted 25 June 2023 - 04:38 PM

Wandisson Charles is not a lefty. There is a real shot he is up here sometime next month though.

#18 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,957 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 30 June 2023 - 05:24 PM

Chapman is off the board https://twitter.com/...905940406026241

• Greg Pappas likes this

#19 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,769 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 30 June 2023 - 05:39 PM

Chapman is off the board https://twitter.com/...905940406026241

Good.

#20 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,953 posts

Posted 30 June 2023 - 06:11 PM

Not good. They need to be in on good RP.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=