81 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,551 posts

Posted 12 June 2023 - 12:09 PM

'89 will always be special to me.

'92 was cool with the opening of OPACY, and being a good team.

'97 was fun having what was probably the best team that year.  More fun than '96 where they just bludgeoned teams. 

'12 was fun, finally getting out of that '98-'11 darkness. 

'14, they were very good down the stretch. 

Think '60 was a popular year for older fans like my Dad. Young 'Baby Birds' turning a corner, and getting good for once. 

I imagine if you lived through them, the '66, '69, '70, '71 teams mean a lot...

Know the 'Orioles Magic' years of '79, '83 must have been fun.  
I was born Aug. 79. No memory of the We Are Family Pirates thankfully and obviously... do have one memory of Dad watching the '83 series. 

Your favorite year?

Where is this year ranking for you?

#2 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,153 posts

Posted 12 June 2023 - 12:20 PM

I was 8/9 for 1996 and 1997, so I didn't pay as much attention to enjoyed as much as I should have. Don't really remember much about those teams.

Obviously 98-2011 was just a terrible time to be an Oriole fan.

2012 will always be special because they were finally good and made the playoffs.

2014 was great, but getting swept in the ALCS by a team we should've beaten will always sting. Sucks we went in without Davis, Manny, Winters.

I'd go 2012, 2014, 2023, 2022, 2016 if ranking.

#3 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,153 posts

Posted 12 June 2023 - 12:22 PM

I'll add that I just enjoyed the underdog group from 2012... guys like Mark Reynolds in particular just really stepped up down the stretch. Nate McClouth. A young Manny and Chris Davis before he exploded. Veterans like AJ, Hardy, Markakis, Winters.

Jason Hammel and Joe Saunders stepping up.

#4 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,571 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 12 June 2023 - 12:38 PM

'83. Only year I remember them winning a WS (born in '69). But they had been really good my whole life up to then, so I just assumed it would always be that way. Ha, so naive. In the 40 years since there have been just 10 winning seasons and 5 postseason appearances, and twice as many 100+ loss seasons as division titles. Probably a big reason why I evolved into such a cynic.

#5 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,052 posts

Posted 12 June 2023 - 01:17 PM

I was 8 when they won in '83.  I remember loving baseball and the O's, and remember snippets of that post-season.

'89 to '97 was great.  Some competitive teams, closing Memorial (close to my childhood home) and opening Camden, getting my license and being able to go to almost any game I wanted to with a cheap bleacher ticket, those were the days.  Eddie returning to hit 500, the streak, etc.  

• PrimeTime likes this

#6 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,173 posts

Posted 12 June 2023 - 01:27 PM

I think 2014 edges out 2012 and 1997 for me.  The Delmon Young Double is a top-2 all-time sports moment for me.

• BobPhelan and PrimeTime like this

#7 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,413 posts

Posted 12 June 2023 - 01:28 PM

Just for comparison, the 2014 team on this date was 34-31, 3 1/2 games behind Toronto.  They went 62-35 the rest of the way, eventually running away from the rest of the division.  The sweep by the Royals was hard to take but as far as recent Oriole history, I'd say that season was very enjoyable. 

#8 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,717 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 12 June 2023 - 01:39 PM

2012 and 2014 in either order

Neither team got the job done but, man, was it awesome to actually have a great team to root for after years of being a laughingstock 

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#9 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,673 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 12 June 2023 - 01:41 PM

I am old so I have had many favorite years.  The championship years can not be beat but the underdog years rank high too 1989, 2012 and last year 2022, was good.

@mikeghg

#10 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts

Posted 12 June 2023 - 01:44 PM

1977 and 1979, which might sound a bit strange since the '77 team didn't qualify for the postseason. Yet despite losing three top-tier free agents (Reggie Jackson, Bobby Grich and Wayne Garland), they won 97 games and stayed in the race until the last week. 

1979 was just over the top with all of the late-inning comebacks and Wild Bill Hagy conducting spelling bees from Section 34. That was the year the Orioles truly took over the town from the Colts.

• Mike B, russsnyder and cprenegade like this

#11 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,673 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 12 June 2023 - 01:50 PM

1977 and 1979, which might sound a bit strange since the '77 team didn't qualify for the postseason. Yet despite losing three top-tier free agents (Reggie Jackson, Bobby Grich and Wayne Garland), they won 97 games and stayed in the race until the last week. 

1979 was just over the top with all of the late-inning comebacks and Wild Bill Hagy conducting spelling bees from Section 34. That was the year the Orioles truly took over the town from the Colts.

1979 was the year Oriole Magic was born and built.  The radio station played the sound bites from comeback after comeback. If sports were not just an afterthought on WBAL they could generate a lot of excitement and fun this year.

• cprenegade and mdrunning like this
@mikeghg

#12 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts

Posted 12 June 2023 - 01:52 PM

I am old so I have had many favorite years.  The championship years can not be beat but the underdog years rank high too 1989, 2012 and last year 2022, was good.

I take it you remember 1982? That result ultimately sucked, but that final weekend against Milwaukee was crazy.

#13 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,711 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 12 June 2023 - 01:52 PM

1979 was the year Oriole Magic was born and built.  The radio station played the sound bites from comeback after comeback. If sports were not just an afterthought on WBAL they could generate a lot of excitement and fun this year.

My dad always talked about how much fun 1979 was. Partially because the club wasn't necessarily expected to be a contender that year and also the radio rights moved that year; I believe it was from WBAL to WFBR but one of the OG's can correct me if I'm wrong. Chuck Thompson, Bill O'Donnell and Charley Eckman on the radio and the birth of Wild Bill Hagy and the legend of section 34. 

• mdrunning likes this
@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#14 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts

Posted 12 June 2023 - 01:58 PM

My dad always talked about how much fun 1979 was. Partially because the club wasn't necessarily expected to be a contender that year and also the radio rights moved that year; I believe it was from WBAL to WFBR but one of the OG's can correct me if I'm wrong. Chuck Thompson, Bill O'Donnell and Charley Eckman on the radio and the birth of Wild Bill Hagy and the legend of section 34. 

The Orioles did move to WFBR in 1979, which was a smaller station but appealed to a younger audience. I don't know how much impact the move actually had, but it certainly didn't hurt. That and the fact that Bob Irsay was turning the Colts into a pile of manure helped push fans back toward the Orioles.

• PrimeTime likes this

#15 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts

Posted 12 June 2023 - 02:00 PM

Speaking of Bill O'Donnell and Charlie Eckman, the birth of Orioles Magic:

https://www.youtube....h?v=IKp8ZKWQSx8

I was completely hooked after that game. 

• PrimeTime likes this

#16 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,413 posts

Posted 12 June 2023 - 02:01 PM

I always considered 1977 as Earl Weaver's best year managing.  Like you mentioned, they were depleted from free agency, had a rookie & future star in Eddie Murray and were generally thought as a bottom feeder in most prediction publications.  Somehow, Earl molded them into a great team that fought with the Red Sox and Yankees right to the end.  

• russsnyder and mdrunning like this

#17 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,673 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 12 June 2023 - 02:06 PM

I take it you remember 1982? That result ultimately sucked, but that final weekend against Milwaukee was crazy.

I went to the last 4 games of that season.  I was convinced they would win the last game.  Palmer just did not have it that day, but even that game had its high point.  The Earl Weaver send off, even after getting knocked out of the playoffs was one of the great moments in Oriole baseball.  Not many people left.

• PrimeTime and mdrunning like this
@mikeghg

#18 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,413 posts

Posted 12 June 2023 - 02:09 PM

And maybe the pivitol night was June 22nd against the Detroit Tigers when the Birds fell behind 5-1 early, battled back to make it 5-3 heading into the bottom of the 9th.  After Ken Singleton hit a one-out, solo HR to make it 5-4, Eddie Murray singled and with 2 outs, Doug DeCinces hit the shot heard around the Baltimore Metro, depositing a 2-run HR and winning 6-5 in walk-off hysteria. Bill O'Donnel was doing the play-by-play but you can hear Charlie Eckman and Chuck Thompson also on the call.  Enjoy.  

DET@BAL: Doug DeCinces' walk-off home run - YouTube

• Mike B likes this

#19 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts

Posted 12 June 2023 - 02:10 PM

I went to the last 4 games of that season.  I was convinced they would win the last game.  Palmer just did not have it that day, but even that game had its high point.  The Earl Weaver send off, even after getting knocked out of the playoffs was one of the great moments in Oriole baseball.  Not many people left.

I had to work that whole weekend, so I couldn't go. I can tell you that not much work got done as we were all glued to the radio. Had off on Sunday and a couple of us got together to watch the final game. As you said, Palmer didn't have it. If he'd had, Palmer would have been the AL Cy Young winner and not Pete Vukovich.

• Mike B likes this

#20 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,711 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 12 June 2023 - 02:15 PM

The current club, 2022 included has been a lot of fun. Coming out of the rebuild and any down turn makes starting to win again that much more fun.

At the time they're happening, all of the winning seasons are fun in their own way. The Why Not? season, thanks to the highlight tape that I've all but worn out, is amongst my all time favorite O's seasons.

1996 was fun because of getting back to the playoffs after 13 long years. 

Gun to my head, I have to put 2012 at the top of the list. The core group during the Buck Era, AJ, JJ, Davis, Wieters, Manny and the supporting cast were a lot of fun to watch. All of the extra madness from Davis' pitching win in Boston to the late night thrillers in Seattle, the thrill of finally getting to 81 wins and then the triumph in the first MLB wild card game.

@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=