Photo

BSL: Early Returns Suggest O’s Front Office Took The Right Approach To The Offseason

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#1 BSLLukeRollfinke

BSLLukeRollfinke

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 25 April 2023 - 05:07 PM

BSL: Early Returns Suggest O’s Front Office Took The Right Approach To The Offseason

https://baltimorespo...-the-offseason/

• BSLChrisStoner and TwentyThirtyFive like this
@LukeRollfinke

#2 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,038 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 25 April 2023 - 06:16 PM

We'll just agree to disagree.

Our offense has not been good and could have certainly benefited from a solid hitter much moreso than Frazier. And using the results as a metric to how good a job the FO did during the off season is a bit like playing poker with the opponents cards dealt face up. Now certainly they DO get some credit for putting together a solid start but lets not forget that we have had a really easy schedule thus far.

Now if we win 95 games then I'll be first in line to credit the FO. But I think our results thus far are not repeatable for 162 games. Time will tell.

• bmore_ken likes this

#3 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,891 posts

Posted 25 April 2023 - 06:25 PM

Yeah the starting pitching  has been stellar  :roll: Shout out to Gibson to give credit where it's due. 

#4 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,451 posts

Posted 25 April 2023 - 06:50 PM

Nope
  • bmore_ken likes this

#5 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,686 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 25 April 2023 - 07:24 PM

[gazes at calendar]

#6 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 25 April 2023 - 08:43 PM

Early returns the key phrase there. They won 10 in a row at one point last season after taking the wrong approach to the offseason. Still came up well short, and tried to as deadline sellers.

I’m spending the better part of this season waiting for the other shoe to drop. They are on pace to win 106 games. That’s not happening. Just like the Rays aren’t winning 135 games. Still so early in the season.
@BSLMikeRandall

#7 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,891 posts

Posted 25 April 2023 - 09:06 PM

Early returns the key phrase there. They won 10 in a row at one point last season after taking the wrong approach to the offseason. Still came up well short, and tried to as deadline sellers.

I’m spending the better part of this season waiting for the other shoe to drop. They are on pace to win 106 games. That’s not happening. Just like the Rays aren’t winning 135 games. Still so early in the season.

It showing to be the wrong approach when 4 of your 6 SPs have ERAs over 5. Especially when even a casual fan knew that was the priority need this offseason and mostly ignored. 

• Mike in STL likes this

#8 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,584 posts

Posted 26 April 2023 - 05:45 AM

Only five months of baseball left.

#9 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,109 posts

Posted 26 April 2023 - 09:43 AM

Ballsy article kid. Most of the audience here will never agree with the conclusion no matter what happens the rest of the way. The Os have left room to add payroll this year and in future years. We all do not like the thought of  consistently having a  bottom 1/3 payroll but if thats going to be the case you cant lock yourself into bad longterm deals with no future flexibility. I think that was your main point and I agree. Keep up the hard work.

#10 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,891 posts

Posted 26 April 2023 - 09:48 AM

Only five months of baseball left.

Then we get to be disappointed in the next offseason

#11 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,038 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 26 April 2023 - 10:03 AM

Ballsy article kid. Most of the audience here will never agree with the conclusion no matter what happens the rest of the way. The Os have left room to add payroll this year and in future years. We all do not like the thought of  consistently having a  bottom 1/3 payroll but if thats going to be the case you cant lock yourself into bad longterm deals with no future flexibility. I think that was your main point and I agree. Keep up the hard work.

The O's could win the freaking WS and that would not make the FO right in what they did. It would mean that they hedged their bets and got lucky that the stars all aligned and that a team with just about zero margin for error hit the lottery.

No deal the O's were even rumored to be looking at last winter would have hamstrung their future payroll flexibility. Not one.

• bmore_ken likes this

#12 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,972 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 26 April 2023 - 10:09 AM

Yeah I'm not buying that saving money for Adley or whatever in the future will matter until an extension is actually signed with him, there isn't much of a reason to believe ownership and/or the front office should have the benefit of the doubt until they make a commitment to Adley/Gunnar/etc 

#13 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,109 posts

Posted 26 April 2023 - 10:20 AM

The O's could win the freaking WS and that would not make the FO right in what they did. It would mean that they hedged their bets and got lucky that the stars all aligned and that a team with just about zero margin for error hit the lottery.

No deal the O's were even rumored to be looking at last winter would have hamstrung their future payroll flexibility. Not one.

Every  longterm deal affects payroll flexibility. 

And get out of here with the stars aligned zero margin stuff. People have constantly underrated the talent at the highest levels of this organization. They are one of the 10 most talented teams in baseball.  Granted, probably closer to the lower end of that top 10. Still, I aint hearing that one of the 1o most talent teams in the league needs everything to go right and to hit the lottery to make a WS run. Not in baseball. All that being said to bring it full circle to the fact that they can aggressively hunt targets at the deadline to push their talent higher and increase their chances at a deep playoff push. 

#14 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,769 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 26 April 2023 - 10:20 AM

I don't agree, but that is cool.

• bmore_ken likes this
@mikeghg

#15 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,721 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 26 April 2023 - 10:25 AM

So the new positive spin is that they’ve left room to add payroll huh?

I’ll quote the QB in our city in response to that… 💩!

This is on JA though, not the FO. He’s as bad as it gets as far as sports owners are concerned. This FO is doing everything they can do given the resources they have to work with. But let’s not try and act like not spending is some noble thing.
  • Mike in STL and PrimeTime like this

#16 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,038 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 26 April 2023 - 11:08 AM

Every  longterm deal affects payroll flexibility. 

And get out of here with the stars aligned zero margin stuff. People have constantly underrated the talent at the highest levels of this organization. They are one of the 10 most talented teams in baseball.  Granted, probably closer to the lower end of that top 10. Still, I aint hearing that one of the 1o most talent teams in the league needs everything to go right and to hit the lottery to make a WS run. Not in baseball. All that being said to bring it full circle to the fact that they can aggressively hunt targets at the deadline to push their talent higher and increase their chances at a deep playoff push. 

You just might be the most FO supportive fan of any team of any sport I follow.

• bmore_ken likes this

#17 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,979 posts

Posted 26 April 2023 - 11:49 AM

Where would we be without all of Adam Frazier's professional ABs?

#18 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,972 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 26 April 2023 - 11:54 AM

Wasn't not paying anyone besides Chris Davis between 2019 and 2022 part of clearing up payroll too? 

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#19 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,686 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 26 April 2023 - 12:08 PM

This whole "payroll flexibility" talk is nothing more than a bunch of double talk. It had absolutely nothing to do with clearing room for future expenditures and everything to do with ushering in the new era of being one of the five cheapest teams in baseball. And looking at recent long-term commitments made by some other clubs, that group is getting even lonelier.

So let's all hoist a glass of Kool Aid and toast Adam Frazier's epic 1:1 BB/K ratio (and avert our eyes from that 76 OPS+)

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#20 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,979 posts

Posted 26 April 2023 - 12:29 PM

So let's all hoist a glass of Kool Aid and toast Adam Frazier's epic 1:1 BB/K ratio (and avert our eyes from that 76 OPS+)

Did you not witness that epic walk off fielders choice a few nights ago?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=