• Please log in to reply
265 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,978 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 08:31 PM

Maryland (27-8 overall) is in the S16 for the first time since 2003, and gets a shot at the #1 seed overall Kansas.

From our preseason CBB preview:
http://baltimorespor...etball-preview/

Kansas: Rustin Dodd, Kansas City Star, and Tom Keegan, Lawrence Journal-World

Baltimore Sports and Life: Kansas has won the Big 12 eleven straight years. Two players were lost to the NBA Draft, but the top three scorers (Perry Ellis, Frank Mason III, and Wayne Selden, Jr) return. This summer, Kansas represented the US at the World University Games – beating Germany in Double OT for the Championship. There is experience, and pedigree. As the season prepares to begin, what is the biggest question facing Bill Self’s team?

Dodd: For the moment, freshman big man Cheick Diallo, a McDonald’s All-American, has not been cleared academically by the NCAA. The Jayhawks lack a true rim protector in the middle, and they struggled to find consistently interior scoring last year. Diallo is not a natural scorer, but he could be the best option to pair with Perry Ellis in the middle. Kansas coach Bill Self is hopeful he’ll know more in the coming weeks. 

Keegan: The biggest question facing Bill Self’s team surrounds the eligibility of center Cheick Diallo, a 6-foot-9 sprinter blessed with a 7-foot-4 wingspan. The NCAA Clearinghouse has not ruled on the eligibility of the Mali native who was named MVP of the McDonald’s All-American game and the Jordan Brand Classic. Kansas will be a top five team without him, my pick to win the national title with him. He projects as a disruptive force defensively, blocking shots, stealing and deflecting passes and using his speed to get back on defense so Kansas doesn’t allow easy buckets on the break.

Baltimore Sports and Life: Outside of the aforementioned Ellis, Mason, Selden trio; who on the roster interests you the most? What are your thoughts on the Jayhawks post rotation? 

Dodd: The frontcourt rotation could be interesting. Ellis will play 30 to 35 minutes per game, and if Diallo is cleared, he will see plenty of time. But the Jayhawks also have a trio of veterans — Landen Lucas, Jamari Traylor and Hunter Mickelson — who could all contribute in reserve roles. They also have freshman forward Carlton Bragg, who is a skilled stretch-four type. Self prefers to play no more than four bigs, so the competition will be a main story line entering the season.

Keegan: Outside of Ellis, Mason and Selden, I’m excited to see what type of sophomore season Kansas will get from Devonte Graham, a pass-first guard who shoots well from the outside, is extremely intelligent and a natural leader. He does everything well and will start in the backcourt with Mason, enabling Selden to move to the third ball handler, instead of the second.

Thoughts on Kansas rotation, assuming Diallo gains eligibility:
Starting five: Graham, Mason, Selden, Ellis, Diallo.
Bench post players in order of minutes: Carlton Bragg, Hunter Mickelson, Landen Lucas and Jamari Traylor.
Bench perimeter players in order of minutes: Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk, Brannen Greene, LaGerald Vick.

Self said he plans to go with nine-man rotation. Vick is a candidate for redshirt. Brannen Greene, best pure shooter on the team, has a penchant for not hustling back on defense. If he continues that, he will walk his way out of the rotation. Traylor not a good rebounder, which will hurt his cause for playing time.

Kansas is 32-4 overall... they were 15-3 in the Big 12's regular season, and they won the Big 12 Tourney.
They've beat Austin Peay, and UConn so far in the NCAAT.

Individual stats found here.

Full schedule and boxscores found here.

Ken Pomeroy Ratings As Of March 20th:

Overall:
Maryland: 24th
Kansas: 2nd

Adjusted Offensive Efficiency (points per 100 possessions):
Maryland: 24th
Kansas: 11th

Adjusted Defensive Efficiency (points allowed per 100 possessions):
Maryland: 45th
Kansas: 5th

Adjusted Tempo (possessions per 40 minutes):
Maryland: 224th
Kansas: 112th

#2 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,978 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 08:34 PM

NBA Draft Net currently has a Top 100 board.  Layman is currently the 3rd Terp... showing up at #98.

Kansas has 3 of the top 54. 5 of the top 85.

http://www.nbadraft....anking/bigboard

#3 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 20 March 2016 - 08:38 PM

In case anyone's curious, this was the longest spread between Sweet 16 appearances for Maryland since 1973.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this
@DJ_McCann

#4 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,978 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 08:50 PM

As of 3/19...

- Maryland was 291st on the offensive boards per game... Kansas  177th..

- Maryland was 291st in turnover margin... Kansas 136th...

- Maryland was 167th in total steals ... Kansas 50th...

- Maryland was 163rd in FT attempts...  Kansas 38th...

- Kansas was 70th in 3 point FGs per game...    Maryland was 45th in 3 point FG% Defense...

#5 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,677 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 20 March 2016 - 09:20 PM

giphy.gif

#6 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,832 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 21 March 2016 - 06:33 AM

940 pm tip off, ugh.

#7 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,733 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 21 March 2016 - 06:48 AM

Versus Kansas.  Hope Turgeon remembers who "we" is.

Looking forward to this one.  This is a tall task and Kansas is super athletic.  I think the Terps show up and play a good game.  Not sure it is enough though.

Either way, they seem to play their best against top competition.  Kansas is as top as it gets.

As the saying goes, it is go time for the Terps.

@mikeghg

#8 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 08:08 AM

940 pm tip off, ugh.

Seriously.  Which I'm sure actually means around 10:00.  Ugh, indeed.

At least it's a Thursday.

#9 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,978 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 08:42 AM

KC.com: Preseason Scouting Reports on the Kansas Roster

http://www.kansascit...le44838831.html

#10 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,353 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 09:04 AM

Super excited for Thursday.  Gonna be a huge challenge, but I think we've got a shot.  Definitely going to need to play our best game of the season, which is a ton to ask, but I still think that extra gear is in there somewhere.  Take good shots, play good defense, and protect the defensive glass.  Kansas is excellent at both ends, so we're gonna have to be on our A game to have a chance. 

#11 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,978 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 09:11 AM

What I like about Thursday is that MD gets to be the hunter.

#12 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,832 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 21 March 2016 - 09:53 AM

Yup.  They are playing with little pressure -- or they should be.  Will be interesting to see how that works as this is literally the first time it's happened all year.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#13 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,832 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 09:54 AM

Except maybe the Carolina game and they were leading in that game in the second half.

@bopper33

#14 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,832 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 09:55 AM

Anyone planning on making the trip?  Tickets are dirt cheap -- $50 on stubhub for the entire weekend (which I believe includes the elite 8).

600 miles away, so not THAT far.  I have a fucking wedding on Saturday so it's out for me, but if I didn't have that commitment I would definitely be considering it -- take a tour of a distillery, see the Louisville Slugger plant, lots to do there.

@bopper33

#15 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,733 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 21 March 2016 - 11:33 AM

I think this is a real key point.

The world expects them to lose.  They have played well in games where they are the underdog.

Rebounding will be a key....shooting needs to be better.  

I kept waiting for the run in yesterdays game and when it hit the Terps relaxed.  They are playing tight, and have faced a lot of criticism.

I may be proved wrong, but I think we are going to get the A game on Thursday night.  I think we get a game like the Carolina game.

Terps bring it, and it comes down to the end.  Not sure it will be enough, but I think they do themselves and us proud.   BTW, 27-8 and the sweet 16 isn't bad.  The program is back...the recruiting is working...I think the future is bright.

Frankly can't wait to Thursday night.  Let's Go Terps!!

• You Play to Win the Game likes this
@mikeghg

#16 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,733 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 21 March 2016 - 11:40 AM

Wonder who the announcers will be Thursday night.

Really hope Doug Gotlieb is not one of them.

Man was as biased as it gets yesterday.  Loved how he wondered out loud numerous times, why Rasheed was kicked off from Duke.

Maybe he stole someone's credit cards Doug...oh wait, that was you.

@mikeghg

#17 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 12:55 PM

I like Gottlieb.  Like him a lot actually.  But pretty sure I saw somewhere that it's Nantz/Raftery.

#18 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,388 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 21 March 2016 - 01:03 PM

I like Gottlieb.  Like him a lot actually.  But pretty sure I saw somewhere that it's Nantz/Raftery.

It's on CBS, so Nantz/Raftery would make sense. ONIONS.

@BSLZackKiesel

#19 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,733 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 21 March 2016 - 01:11 PM

He got on my nerves yesterday.

I realize the underdog success draws ratings but IMO he went way beyond biased yesterday.

@mikeghg

#20 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 21 March 2016 - 01:12 PM

He's fantastic knowledge wise, might not have the best voice, but man does he know his stuff. 

@beginthebegin71

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=