#2 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,052 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 04 March 2021 - 07:43 AM

Cale excellent overview and I do have a follow on question specifically with how you see and grade fastballs these days. My thought which I have posted on this forum before is that I think velocity is becoming more and more important. Given that baseball has gotten more and more toward the three true outcomes. You look at the pitchers that are in the top 10 of the strikeouts and they all have one thing in common. Speed.

Certainly location is important but it seems to me that hitters are so good now that throwing 90 very accurately just isn't as good as throwing 96 with less accuracy? At 90 even with great location a hitter can still hit it at a higher frequency than a pitch thrown in the mid 90s but missing the desired location.

So what say you? Clearly a guy who can throw 96 and has great command is ideal but when does pure speed begin to be a better tool than command (obviously if you throw 100 but can't ever throw strikes thats a different end of the spectrum)?

#3 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,577 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 04 March 2021 - 08:53 AM

PItching is like real-estate.

#4 CaleCox

CaleCox

All-Star

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 March 2021 - 09:50 AM

Cale excellent overview and I do have a follow on question specifically with how you see and grade fastballs these days. My thought which I have posted on this forum before is that I think velocity is becoming more and more important. Given that baseball has gotten more and more toward the three true outcomes. You look at the pitchers that are in the top 10 of the strikeouts and they all have one thing in common. Speed.

Certainly location is important but it seems to me that hitters are so good now that throwing 90 very accurately just isn't as good as throwing 96 with less accuracy? At 90 even with great location a hitter can still hit it at a higher frequency than a pitch thrown in the mid 90s but missing the desired location.

So what say you? Clearly a guy who can throw 96 and has great command is ideal but when does pure speed begin to be a better tool than command (obviously if you throw 100 but can't ever throw strikes thats a different end of the spectrum)?

Good question, Steve. Different teams weigh the different facets of a fastball (velocity, movement, command) differently, but I think most teams weigh velocity the most.

In your specific example, there's a 6 MPH difference between your two hypothetical pitchers, and I would say that almost anyone would choose the harder throwing pitcher if given the choice. The tricky part comes when you're looking at two pitchers that are much closer in velo - say one that throws 96 and one that throws 93, but with greater command - the choice is much harder. 

The one thing you didn't factor in with your examples is movement. If your hypothetical pitcher throws 96 MPH with lacking command and no movement, it's entirely possible that I'd prefer one that throws 93 with good command and good movement on his fastball.

I may have rambled a bit there, but I hope that answers your question.

• BSLChrisStoner and BSLSteveBirrer like this

#5 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,052 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 05 March 2021 - 08:23 AM

Cale thanks for the reply and yes that answers my question.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=