@aka_themamba

#2 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,393 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 20 July 2020 - 05:07 PM

No football, or any other HS sports, in California until at least December.

https://www.cifstate...endar_Final.pdf

• BSLWillieSeanCoughlan likes this

#3 BSLWillieSeanCoughlan

BSLWillieSeanCoughlan

BSL HS Analyst

• Members
  • Pip
  • 676 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 10:57 AM

You have to wonder how the recent outbreak among teams and sports across the country will affect those high school districts, leagues, and associations still yet to make decisions, both in Maryland and beyond.

The entire Michigan State football program is in their 3rd day of a 14-day quarantine period. The Miami Marlins have now had to cancel their home opener because 14 members (10 in the last 2 days) of their team and staff have tested positive, and the MLL had to cancel their tournament semifinals in Annapolis because of three players testing positive, despite creating a ‘bubble’. The finals were played, but not before 5 Boston Cannons players who were to play in the final, left the bubble and withdrew from the game.
@aka_themamba

#4 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,393 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 27 July 2020 - 02:40 PM

At this point I think the bigger issue/debate is still whether or not schools across the country will even hold in-person classes. If students in various states/districts are only learning remotely, I'd say that pretty much answers the question of whether they will have sports.

#5 BSLWillieSeanCoughlan

BSLWillieSeanCoughlan

BSL HS Analyst

• Members
  • Pip
  • 676 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 03:15 PM

No doubt, I’ve said that from the beginning. My prayers go out to the parents (of) and kids that may be forced back to school by their governors and the president, by threatening to withhold funding and resources to those districts not going back to in-school learning right away. The cry of those that say that children are at a very low risk are failing to see what’s going on in Florida. It’s beyond alarming. Imagine if just 1% of those 17 and under infected are hospitalized. Imagine a high school of 2,200 having 22 of their students hospitalized because of the virus. I would bet if it were a child or two of one of those clamoring to go back, we’d be hearing a different tune from those folks shortly thereafter. Maybe not though, as that group seems awfully stubborn. It may take death, like the unfortunate loss of the 9 year old in Florida, and the others.

Just saw where cases among those 17 and under in Florida jumped 34% over the last 8 days to push their total to more than 31,000 for those 17 and under, according to the Florida Department of Health. What’s even more alarming is the hospitalization of those 17 and under over the last 8 days in the ‘Sunshine State’, which jumped more than 23%, to push that total over 300. And that’s without school in session, and that group staying inside more than any other under the age of 65. You can imagine that rate skyrocketing if they are forced to go back to school. Seems like the new CDC guidelines put out after they were asked to reassess their original findings, and suggest kids back in school at this time, are questionable, at best.
  • BSLMikeLowe likes this
@aka_themamba

#6 Oldtime

Oldtime
  • Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 08:08 PM

No doubt, I’ve said that from the beginning. My prayers go out to the parents (of) and kids that may be forced back to school by their governors and the president, by threatening to withhold funding and resources to those districts not going back to in-school learning right away. The cry of those that say that children are at a very low risk are failing to see what’s going on in Florida. It’s beyond alarming. Imagine if just 1% of those 17 and under infected are hospitalized. Imagine a high school of 2,200 having 22 of their students hospitalized because of the virus. I would bet if it were a child or two of one of those clamoring to go back, we’d be hearing a different tune from those folks shortly thereafter. Maybe not though, as that group seems awfully stubborn. It may take death, like the unfortunate loss of the 9 year old in Florida, and the others.

Just saw where cases among those 17 and under in Florida jumped 34% over the last 8 days to push their total to more than 31,000 for those 17 and under, according to the Florida Department of Health. What’s even more alarming is the hospitalization of those 17 and under over the last 8 days in the ‘Sunshine State’, which jumped more than 23%, to push that total over 300. And that’s without school in session, and that group staying inside more than any other under the age of 65. You can imagine that rate skyrocketing if they are forced to go back to school. Seems like the new CDC guidelines put out after they were asked to reassess their original findings, and suggest kids back in school at this time, are questionable, at best.

You do realize that education is a State and local responsibility, the feds only fund about 10%.

#7 BSLWillieSeanCoughlan

BSLWillieSeanCoughlan

BSL HS Analyst

• Members
  • Pip
  • 676 posts

Posted 28 July 2020 - 05:00 AM

You do realize that education is a State and local responsibility, the feds only fund about 10%.

I do, and realize 10% can have an impact, and as an educator, I especially do with many local/county educational budgets being already slashed, thanks.
@aka_themamba

#8 BSLWillieSeanCoughlan

BSLWillieSeanCoughlan

BSL HS Analyst

• Members
  • Pip
  • 676 posts

Posted 28 July 2020 - 05:03 AM

The WCAC commissioner has announced that the league is indeed “rescheduling” all fall sports seasons, leaving opening a possibility to play a shortened season in late fall if the pandemic were to fade, but not planning to sanction any sports until at least January 1. A February start for football is more likely, with a possible WCAC-only schedule, if need be. A February start would/could not only be affected by scheduling, but some early enrollees could be missing on some rosters as well. The league is looking at a possible 7-on-7 tournament in the fall. I’d be hesitant to say what will happen six months from now, but I did say in April that I didn’t think we’d see any football in Maryland in the fall, which looks to be the case, despite more than a handful of jurisdictions yet to announce. Cancelling is always on the table as we’ve seen as this pandemic goes, wether the decision makers know it or not, or admit it or not.

With the top league in the country just to its south making a decision a bit earlier than expected, the MIAA is now on the clock.
@aka_themamba

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=