Howard County Football

• Please log in to reply
152 replies to this topic

#1 GDEF

GDEF
  • Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 08:07 PM

1 week until the boys hit the field for practice. What a great time of year!

Preseason Power Rankings

Tier 1

Howard-Lots of talent. If OL play can get up to speed than this team can make some moves

Glenelg-Lost a ton of talent and their HC. Good transfers from CH will make this team tough to beat

River Hill-Best player and Coach in the county. Everything else is kinda lacking though

Long Reach-Martin will need to cary the squad. Solid Lineman returning as well

Tier 2

Wilde Lake-Young talent the last few years. Time to step up. New HC though.

Reservoir-Always loaded with talent. Have lacked Off creativity. Will underachieve again

Tier 3

Marriotts Ridge-Should be higher but their best player may be ineligible 

Athotlton-Solid JV the last few years that should help be a competitive team

Oakland MIlls-Graduated a lot. Still has speed. Down year for sure though.

Tier 4

Hammond-New HC, very rough stretch the last few years. Weaker schedule will help.

Mount Hebron- Lacks a football culture and its hard seeing them having much success this year. Great Band though

Centennial-New schedule will help Coach Billy get a win this year. Much needed for the program

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#2 ShoNuff07

ShoNuff07
  • Members
  • 277 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 09:45 PM

"Marriotts Ridge-Should be higher but their best player may be ineligible" - I guess that is why I was hearing rumors that the player (the RB perhaps) was considering in going to IMG?

#3 ECF

ECF
  • Members
  • 238 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 07 August 2019 - 06:16 AM

"Marriotts Ridge-Should be higher but their best player may be ineligible" - I guess that is why I was hearing rumors that the player (the RB perhaps) was considering in going to IMG?

Seriously ?? I dont recall MR having anyone of that caliber...

East

Coast

Fan

#4 oldballcoach

oldballcoach

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 590 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 08:40 AM

Know about this situation. Not good all around. Definitely not going to IMG not that caliber kid.
  • ECF likes this

#5 BSLWillieSeanCoughlan

BSLWillieSeanCoughlan

BSL HS Analyst

• Members
  • Pip
  • 676 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 11:05 AM

I talk with three of their coaches daily/weekly (Head Coach Marcus Lewis, OC TJ Welsh, and Matt Bounds),work with two of them, been long time friends with fellow Scorpions Lewis (All-County in 3 sports, c/o ‘88) and Welsh (state champion QB, c/o ‘99). Bounds, who I work with along with Welsh, was a 2-time regional champion with Wilde Lake (c/o ‘09).

Cam Young has talent, not IMG talent. He did have 595 rushing yards in 5 games last season before his injury. Would have been one of the better players (behind Brade) in the county this season. Nick Harris just became the programs first FBS commit, when he committed to UConn.
@aka_themamba

#6 BSLWillieSeanCoughlan

BSLWillieSeanCoughlan

BSL HS Analyst

• Members
  • Pip
  • 676 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 11:18 AM

This MD Prep thing?? I’ve had questions from the beginning. Not sure how it’ll help kids. It appears they have 5 games, with almost a month-long break. They beat Annapolis on the last play in 7 v 7. River Hill handled Nap Town pretty good in Ravens Showdown 7 v 7. The Big Baller Brand of HoCo Football?
@aka_themamba

#7 ECF

ECF
  • Members
  • 238 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 07 August 2019 - 11:37 AM

This MD Prep thing?? I’ve had questions from the beginning. Not sure how it’ll help kids. It appears they have 5 games, with almost a month-long break. They beat Annapolis on the last play in 7 v 7. River Hill handled Nap Town pretty good in Ravens Showdown 7 v 7. The Big Baller Brand of HoCo Football?

I hope MD Prep has a successful year. Will I dont put to much in 7 on 7. That same MD Prep team, lost to a LR team that was put together in min. by current players and 3-4 alums at some Back to School event over the weekend. 

East

Coast

Fan

#8 ECF

ECF
  • Members
  • 238 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 07 August 2019 - 11:52 AM

I talk with three of their coaches daily/weekly (Head Coach Marcus Lewis, OC TJ Welsh, and Matt Bounds),work with two of them, been long time friends with fellow Scorpions Lewis (All-County in 3 sports, c/o ‘88) and Welsh (state champion QB, c/o ‘99). Bounds, who I work with along with Welsh, was a 2-time regional champion with Wilde Lake (c/o ‘09).

Cam Young has talent, not IMG talent. He did have 595 rushing yards in 5 games last season before his injury. Would have been one of the better players (behind Brade) in the county this season. Nick Harris just became the programs first FBS commit, when he committed to UConn.

Im hearing also that this kid might be transferring within the county.  Dad stays in MR, and mom has possibly moved into the Howard/LR area. Also, I hear that he attended some type of prospect camp that was held at IMG. 

East

Coast

Fan

#9 BSLWillieSeanCoughlan

BSLWillieSeanCoughlan

BSL HS Analyst

• Members
  • Pip
  • 676 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 12:27 PM

Im hearing also that this kid might be transferring within the county. Dad stays in MR, and mom has possibly moved into the Howard/LR area. Also, I hear that he attended some type of prospect camp that was held at IMG.

He did, hence the IMG association.
  • ECF likes this
@aka_themamba

#10 BSLWillieSeanCoughlan

BSLWillieSeanCoughlan

BSL HS Analyst

• Members
  • Pip
  • 676 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 12:34 PM

I hope MD Prep has a successful year. Will I dont put to much in 7 on 7. That same MD Prep team, lost to a LR team that was put together in min. by current players and 3-4 alums at some Back to School event over the weekend.

The 7 v 7 results were secondary. The 5 games, with a break for several weeks in between is more concerning. We’ll see. I hope for the best, too, for the kids sake. If I had to bet, I’d put my money on MD Prep not being around in 1-3 years.
@aka_themamba

#11 ShoNuff07

ShoNuff07
  • Members
  • 277 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 06:54 PM

Im hearing also that this kid might be transferring within the county.  Dad stays in MR, and mom has possibly moved into the Howard/LR area. Also, I hear that he attended some type of prospect camp that was held at IMG. 

Kind of heard this from a source I don't quite trust, so I basically ignored it. So I guess there's a little truth to this. 

#12 BSLWillieSeanCoughlan

BSLWillieSeanCoughlan

BSL HS Analyst

• Members
  • Pip
  • 676 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 07:46 PM

Kind of heard this from a source I don't quite trust, so I basically ignored it. So I guess there's a little truth to this.

Check your inbox.
@aka_themamba

#13 ECF

ECF
  • Members
  • 238 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 08 August 2019 - 08:01 AM

Just got word that LR getting RB Jordan Perry back from River Hill and a DE/RB Kahil Tiller-Kinard from Atholton. 

East

Coast

Fan

#14 ShoNuff07

ShoNuff07
  • Members
  • 277 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 03:25 PM

Just got word that LR getting RB Jordan Perry back from River Hill and a DE/RB Kahil Tiller-Kinard from Atholton. 

I wonder why Perry is returning to Long Reach?  He was the starting back at River Hill.  Oh well, congrats to Long Reach.

#15 GDEF

GDEF
  • Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 12:16 AM

Odd move. This hurts RH a lot. I would prob switch them and LR now. The MD commit for RH is def more of an def player than off player. They are gonna struggle a bit on O I think. LR can now prob out Martin at WR. The DE from Ath I don’t know much about but LR already has strong DE so I don’t think that’s gonna move the needle too much.

#16 GDEF

GDEF
  • Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 12:19 AM

Im hearing also that this kid might be transferring within the county. Dad stays in MR, and mom has possibly moved into the Howard/LR area. Also, I hear that he attended some type of prospect camp that was held at IMG.

Yea what my people were saying is he was transferring too but it’s a wash because grades my not be up to snuff WillieSean can maybe use his MR sources to confirm.

#17 GDEF

GDEF
  • Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 12:21 AM

The 7 v 7 results were secondary. The 5 games, with a break for several weeks in between is more concerning. We’ll see. I hope for the best, too, for the kids sake. If I had to bet, I’d put my money on MD Prep not being around in 1-3 years.

MD Prep is going to fail. There biggest connections are to Hoco and there are not enough top end talents in hoco that also don’t have the means of grades to go play in college. Prep schools only work on certain communities and this community isn’t it. I agree 1 maybe 2 years and it’s over.
  • BSLWillieSeanCoughlan likes this

#18 ShoNuff07

ShoNuff07
  • Members
  • 277 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 10:55 AM

MD Prep is going to fail. There biggest connections are to Hoco and there are not enough top end talents in hoco that also don’t have the means of grades to go play in college. Prep schools only work on certain communities and this community isn’t it. I agree 1 maybe 2 years and it’s over.

I just don't like the set up.  Please correct me if I am wrong, but my understanding is these student-athletes are attending Howard Community College, PLUS paying to play for the Prep program.  To me, that just don't quite "jive" to me.  But I am with ECF, I hope it has some success, But I think Mamba and GDEF are correct that this should fall apart in a couple of years. 

• BSLWillieSeanCoughlan and ECF like this

#19 BSLWillieSeanCoughlan

BSLWillieSeanCoughlan

BSL HS Analyst

• Members
  • Pip
  • 676 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 12:23 PM

Best QB in HoCo I’ve ever seen in my 40+ years here, which includes Chet Gee (OM, Duke), Jim Traber (WL, Oklahoma State) and and my good friend, Tony Coates (OM, Northwestern). I wish David the best, whether it’s here, or north of the border. Chase your dream.

http://www.baltimore...khvq-story.html
  • ShoNuff07 likes this
@aka_themamba

#20 ShoNuff07

ShoNuff07
  • Members
  • 277 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 01:06 PM

Best QB in HoCo I’ve ever seen in my 40+ years here, which includes Chet Gee (OM, Duke), Jim Traber (WL, Oklahoma State) and and my good friend, Tony Coates (OM, Northwestern). I wish David the best, whether it’s here, or north of the border. Chase your dream.

http://www.baltimore...khvq-story.html

*SIGH!!*  Still salty over Howard's coaching staff not allowing his team to scrimmage against Oakland Mills during the Quad Scrimmage at Howard!!!

I wish David the best as well !  Would love to see him playing pro ball.

• BSLWillieSeanCoughlan and ECF like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=