HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:31 AM

ESPN: Coyotes arena deal approved

http://espn.go.com/n...otes-arena-deal

Looks like you can cross them off the list of teams that could be relocated.
@levineps

#2 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,271 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:27 PM

Sources: Coyotes' sale in question

Put 'em back on the relocation list.

#3 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:43 PM

http://prohockeytalk... ... nd-oregon/

Might the man who nearly bought the Dallas Stars have his eyes on the Phoenix Coyotes?

And might that same man have a notion to move the Coyotes to Portland, Oregon?

#4 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,271 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 11:01 PM

Bettman says time is running out for Glendale. Coyotes could be in Seattle as early as next season.

#5 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 05:53 PM

It’s official: Board of Governors approves Coyotes sale

@DJ_McCann

#6 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:25 PM

The Arizona Coyotes (CBS Sports)

"We are very excited to announce that our franchise name will change to Arizona Coyotes for the start of the 2014-15 NHL season," said owner Anthony LeBlanc. "Becoming the Arizona Coyotes makes sense for us since we play our games in Glendale and the city is such a great partner of ours. We also want to be recognized as not just the hockey team for Glendale or Phoenix, but the team for the entire state of Arizona and the Southwest. We hope that the name 'Arizona' will encourage more fans from all over the state, not just the valley, to embrace and support our team."

So when do the Suns take up the Arizona name and this could be like the Minnesota pro teams?

@levineps

#7 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:04 PM

The Arizona Coyotes (CBS Sports)

So when do the Suns take up the Arizona name and this could be like the Minnesota pro teams?

Hopefully never. One sports trend I've always hated is taking the state name, be it Minnesota or Arizona. I did think there was something poetic about the California Angels, but think Los Angeles is a better name.

@DJ_McCann

#8 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:12 PM

Hopefully never. One sports trend I've always hated is taking the state name, be it Minnesota or Arizona. I did think there was something poetic about the California Angels, but think Los Angeles is a better name.

New Jersey?... Newark Devils? Previously the East Rutherford Devils and East Rutherford Nets?

@levineps

#9 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:13 PM

New Jersey?... Newark Devils? Previously the East Rutherford Devils and East Rutherford Nets?

New York. I have no problem with associating with the nearby major city. Just like the Angels in Anaheim.

EDIT: Also, that's somewhat of a special case because of the desire for a separate association from New York and the lack of one major civic entity. Plus, the North Jersey counties account for 40% of the state's population.

@DJ_McCann

#10 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:16 PM

New York. I have no problem with associating with the nearby major city. Just like the Angels in Anaheim.

Don't really care too much about this, but out of all of them NJ makes the most sense because they want to distinguish themselves from NY.

@levineps

#11 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:25 PM

Don't really care too much about this, but out of all of them NJ makes the most sense because they want to distinguish themselves from NY.

I edited my post, but that's right.

I think the city part matters, too. The top six cities in New Jersey are in a 25-mile stretch of North Jersey, and all range between 275,000 and 100,000 in population. It's a little easier sitting in Newark, but even that city only has about eight percent of the North Jersey population.

@DJ_McCann

#12 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,452 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 10:18 AM

Changing the name to Newark Devils kind of takes away from the "Jersey Devil" they're named after.

Kind of like changing the name from Baltimore Orioles, to Maryland Orioles -- which I am sure Angelos was thinking of doing in the 90's.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#13 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,429 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 30 January 2014 - 10:50 AM

I can see naming it after a state in the bigger, western states where zoning is outrageous and cities like Phoenix spread forever. 

Also, most of the teams out west don't have the history behind their name like the east coast teams do. 

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#14 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 30 January 2014 - 11:19 AM

The Twins after all nicknamed after Minneapolis/St. Paul specifically went with the Minnesota because of the problems the (Minneapolis) Lakers had.

I think names like the California Angels or Florida Panthers don't make as much sense like Pedro said as teams in Arizona, Colorado, which are targeted to a broader geographical area. New Jersey just makes a lot of sense for me because they want to target the NJ suburbs of NY instead of the other side of the Hudson. And besides which there are already two "New York" hockey teams.

Don't forget minor league teams like the Vermont Lake Monsters, Connecticut Tigers or Wisconsin Timber Rattlers.

@levineps

#15 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 30 January 2014 - 11:23 AM

Changing the name to Newark Devils kind of takes away from the "Jersey Devil" they're named after.

Kind of like changing the name from Baltimore Orioles, to Maryland Orioles -- which I am sure Angelos was thinking of doing in the 90's.

Not just Angelos here, all the owners I believe tried to bring in the DC crowd with dropping Baltimore from the road uniforms and opening a team store in DC. Chris has mentioned how much of the fans while he was working for the team came from outside the direct Baltimore area. Michael Reghi did say that he was asked to deempathize the "Baltimore" part, refer to them as the Birds or O's.

@levineps

#16 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 10:56 PM

So, you know that whole arena deal? Gone.

Glendale votes to cancel agreement with Coyotes, who threaten to sue for $200 million

Basically, the city finally realized just how stupid it was to agree to the deal worked out with the Coyotes, and is using a loophole in state law to get out of it. The Coyotes are...unhappy.

@DJ_McCann

#17 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,226 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 11 June 2015 - 06:22 AM

Time to move to Quebec, Seattle, Las Vegas or Kansas City.
  • DuffMan likes this

#18 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,685 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 11 June 2015 - 06:42 AM

Time to move to Quebec, Seattle, Las Vegas or Kansas City.

Anywhere that's not a desert would be an improvement.

#19 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,271 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 11:44 AM

The Trail Blazers, very quietly, threw their hat in the ring to make Portland a landing spot back when this all started. They already have the arena. Seattle still makes more sense. Save Quebec City for an Eastern team that needs to relocate. ("Bienvenue au Québec, Panthers de la Floride!")

#20 FlavaDave10

FlavaDave10

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationBalmer

Posted 18 June 2015 - 05:38 AM

The Coyotes aren't leaving Arizona until Las Vegas is ready. That won't be for a few years. Panthers could feasibly move to Las Vegas without messing up conference alignment because I'm sure the Nashville Predators would love to be in the Eastern Conference since that would mean much easier road trips for them. 

"We're not going to be f***ing suck this year" - Alex Ovechkin

@BaltimoreDavey

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=