#1 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,277 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 16 March 2023 - 11:34 PM

Alabama is coming off of a 96-75 victory in their first round matchup against #16 Texas A&M-Corpus Christi. They're 30-5 on the season, and had a 16-2 record in the SEC, capped off by winning their conference championship. They never lost at home all season, but did lose in Birmingham to Gonzaga back in December.

All eyes will be on star forward Brandon Miller, who was held scoreless in their first round game due to a groin injury.

KenPom Rankings

• Maryland: #19 (#29 AdjO, #32 AdjD; #322 AdjT)
  • Alabama: #3 (#19 AdjO, #3 AdjD; #5 AdjT)

@BSLZackKiesel

#2 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,342 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 17 March 2023 - 12:50 AM

Alabama opens as -8.5 point favorites.

#3 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,680 posts

Posted 17 March 2023 - 05:57 AM

ESPN's Match-up Predictor gives MD a 20.2% chance of winning.

#4 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,428 posts

Posted 17 March 2023 - 06:25 AM

Tough to see them winning this game.

Carey needs to stay hot and Jahmir needs to come out of his funk.  If those 2 things happen maybe they can have a shot at the end.  House money at this point.

#5 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,680 posts

Posted 17 March 2023 - 06:55 AM

Two years ago when they lost to Alabama, they got dominated on the boards. Something like 40 to 20.

#6 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,428 posts

Posted 17 March 2023 - 07:06 AM

Two years ago when they lost to Alabama, they got dominated on the boards. Something like 40 to 20.

I remember Alabama was also ridiculously hot from 3.  They shot 16/33 in that game.  

#7 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,685 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 17 March 2023 - 07:27 AM

Dang, 940 tip off.  

#8 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,342 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 17 March 2023 - 08:30 AM

The thing that gets overlooked with this years Alabama team is how good they are defensively. KenPom has them 3rd. This will be like playing Tennessee again, except Bama can also score much more efficiently. That Miller injury could be huge. Going to need their best game, on both sides of the floor. But it wouldn’t be a miracle either. Just 16 spots separate them in KenPom. Maryland is a damn good team in their own right.

#9 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,247 posts

Posted 17 March 2023 - 08:49 AM

Miller being less than 100% would give them a real chance

#10 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,364 posts

Posted 17 March 2023 - 08:55 AM

Wondering how much the game being in Birmingham will make it feel more like a road game than neutral site.

#11 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,247 posts

Posted 17 March 2023 - 09:00 AM

Wondering how much the game being in Birmingham will make it feel more like a road game than neutral site.

That doesnt help either. Its a bit narrative driven but a valid question. I didnt watch yesterday. I wonder how much the crowd was Bama favored. 2 more teams will be gone next round. Less random fans to root against the 1 seed??

#12 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,277 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 17 March 2023 - 09:26 AM

It certainly felt like a home game for Auburn in their game, so yeah it’ll be a pretty hostile environment.
  • Mike B likes this
@BSLZackKiesel

#13 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,364 posts

Posted 17 March 2023 - 11:17 AM

It certainly felt like a home game for Auburn in their game, so yeah it’ll be a pretty hostile environment.

Maybe enough Auburn fans stay in the arena after their game to root against Alabama?  

• Mike B likes this

#14 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,277 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 17 March 2023 - 11:18 AM

Maybe enough Auburn fans stay in the arena after their game to root against Alabama?

Haha maybe, form that Under Armour alliance
@BSLZackKiesel

#15 MikeinOwingsMills

MikeinOwingsMills
  • Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 17 March 2023 - 03:54 PM

I'm oddly optimistic about this game. I'm not quite ready to predict a win (won't call it an "upset" because I believe many are seriously underrating Maryland), but they'll give Alabama a game and likely cover that 8.5. 

Thing is, if AL goes cold from 3 - say, something like 4-23, which is entirely possible, the whole dynamic is changed. I'd expect the experience, and yes, coaching, of Maryland to assert themselves and maybe that's enough to pull off the "shocker".

And - can't be ignored - you have to wonder if/when all the scrutiny and criticism surrounding AL will eventually overwhelm them. Remember, it's a pretty young team, and you never know how they might react to such unrelenting intense attention. Feels like it's been a balloon filling with air these last few weeks, and it's about ready to pop. 

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#16 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,509 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 18 March 2023 - 02:22 AM

I'm oddly optimistic about this game. I'm not quite ready to predict a win (won't call it an "upset" because I believe many are seriously underrating Maryland), but they'll give Alabama a game and likely cover that 8.5.

Thing is, if AL goes cold from 3 - say, something like 4-23, which is entirely possible, the whole dynamic is changed. I'd expect the experience, and yes, coaching, of Maryland to assert themselves and maybe that's enough to pull off the "shocker".

And - can't be ignored - you have to wonder if/when all the scrutiny and criticism surrounding AL will eventually overwhelm them. Remember, it's a pretty young team, and you never know how they might react to such unrelenting intense attention. Feels like it's been a balloon filling with air these last few weeks, and it's about ready to pop.

I think Maryland needs to be hot from 3 too, and unfortunately they've been pretty inconsistent from outside the arc.

I feel like they've been improving their shot though, so that gives me some hope. This team is pretty talented and they can definitely play with Alabama. It's just a matter of consistency and I think Maryland has had less of it.

#17 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,364 posts

Posted 18 March 2023 - 06:54 AM

Need Young to snap out of his funk. Still getting to the line, but other than that he's really struggled in the postseason. 7/33 from the field the past three games. Also had 6 turnovers on Thursday. Much cleaner game from him would go a long ways towards an upset.
  • BSLRoseKatz likes this

#18 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,364 posts

Posted 18 March 2023 - 07:09 AM

Some gems from Willard:

“Stick around,” he said. “Should be a good game. And it’s 9:40 [p.m. ET] at night. What else is there to do in Birmingham? It’s like, come watch a great game and chill out. I think the NCAA sells beer now. I’m not sure. Do they?

“I’m hoping Auburn wins, because then their fans will stick around,” Willard said. “I’m afraid if Auburn loses, then at 9:40 [p.m. ET] at night, knowing Auburn fans, they’re probably going to the bar.”
  • You Play to Win the Game, BobPhelan, BSLZackKiesel and 1 other like this

#19 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,680 posts

Posted 18 March 2023 - 05:21 PM

Alabama SB Nation: Previews

https://www.rollbama...t-march-madness

&

https://www.rollbama...totals-are-iffy

#20 BSLChrisStoner