Photo

Balt Sun: As ‘next week’ ends, Orioles CEO John Angelos whiffs on chance to be ‘very transparent’

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,674 posts

Posted 27 January 2023 - 08:54 AM

Balt SunAs ‘next week’ ends, Orioles CEO John Angelos whiffs on chance to be ‘very transparent’

#2 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,010 posts

Posted 27 January 2023 - 09:28 AM

Maybe he just forgot he had a week full of court appearances and family lawsuits to file / defend... I'm sure next week is looking better.

#3 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,341 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 27 January 2023 - 09:39 AM

Maybe he just forgot he had a week full of court appearances and family lawsuits to file / defend... I'm sure next week is looking better.

Next week marks 3 weeks before President’s Day. Could we please learn to be a little more sensitive? Not the time to ask these questions.
  • Pedro Cerrano, Mike B and BSLSteveBirrer like this

#4 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,010 posts

Posted 27 January 2023 - 10:33 AM

Maybe after Arbor Day???
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

#5 B00E00N00

B00E00N00

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,808 posts
  • LocationSouthern Maryland

Posted 27 January 2023 - 12:27 PM

What a surprise.

#6 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,833 posts

Posted 27 January 2023 - 12:52 PM

Maybe after Arbor Day???

Think of the trees you jerk!
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

#7 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 27 January 2023 - 02:08 PM

Next week marks 3 weeks before President’s Day. Could we please learn to be a little more sensitive? Not the time to ask these questions.

And Ground Hogs Day is next Thursday, so next weeks is out.  Ground Hog Day sounds like a holiday that might be important to an Angelos.

Seriously though, did anyone expect John to make good on his promise.  It was something he blurted out during a rant.  It was just more BS.

• You Play to Win the Game and bmore_ken like this
@mikeghg

#8 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,010 posts

Posted 27 January 2023 - 02:31 PM

And Ground Hogs Day is next Thursday, so next weeks is out.  Ground Hog Day sounds like a holiday that might be important to an Angelos.

Seriously though, did anyone expect John to make good on his promise.  It was something he blurted out during a rant.  It was just more BS.

Absolutely not...

#9 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 27 January 2023 - 02:49 PM

Absolutely not...

Not a chance,

@mikeghg

#10 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 01 February 2023 - 12:48 PM

I guess today is the big day right? If they don’t sign the stadium lease extension today, what is the next deadline?
@BSLMikeRandall

#11 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,271 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 01 February 2023 - 01:11 PM

I guess today is the big day right? If they don’t sign the stadium lease extension today, what is the next deadline?

I guess Opening Day of 2024. They have to play somewhere, but they will be free to go to whatever city they choose, at least as far as any contractual obligations with the state. Getting MLB's approval to move will be sticky, and since they're deemed exempt from anti-trust laws, they have a lot more leverage to block a relocation than other leagues.

#12 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 01 February 2023 - 01:18 PM

I guess Opening Day of 2024. They have to play somewhere, but they will be free to go to whatever city they choose, at least as far as any contractual obligations with the state. Getting MLB's approval to move will be sticky, and since they're deemed exempt from anti-trust laws, they have a lot more leverage to block a relocation than other leagues.

Let's hope it does not get that far.  MLB is in bed with the Nationals.  I do not trust them to do the right thing.

@mikeghg

#13 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,113 posts

Posted 01 February 2023 - 01:21 PM

The Angelos family is a giant case of herpes to the Baltimore franchise.

#14 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,348 posts

Posted 01 February 2023 - 01:22 PM

I'd assume MLB would require something before creating a schedule. 

I can't wait to hear about how the challenges of the pandemic made it so the current lease is just not tenable anymore and they are looking forward to negotiating something more fair. There's nothing billionaires seem to like more than having the public subsidize their stuff.

#15 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,271 posts

Posted 01 February 2023 - 01:36 PM

I'd assume MLB would require something before creating a schedule. 

I can't wait to hear about how the challenges of the pandemic made it so the current lease is just not tenable anymore and they are looking forward to negotiating something more fair. There's nothing billionaires seem to like more than having the public subsidize their stuff.

Yeah, definitely won't be up in the air that long.

The weird thing about this is that the Angelos' have made no public demands as far as what they want in order to stay in Baltimore. I can't recall a franchise ever relocating without first telling its original city that it needs a new stadium, or else. How can the public decide if it wants to give you what you want to stay if you don't even tell us what it is you want in the first place? Even Irsay did that.

#16 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 01 February 2023 - 01:50 PM

After the Colts left, Baltimore never transferred their allegiance to the Redskins. I'm sure the NFL thought they would, but it never happened. In the unlikely event that the O's leave, I hope MLB is smart enough to realize Baltimore isn't going to join the Nationals fan base. Especially those fans who still believe Peter couldn't field a winner, because of the Nats. OPACY is a future baseball team's trophy wife. She ain't gonna be single for too long.  

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#17 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,271 posts

Posted 01 February 2023 - 01:54 PM

Let's hope it does not get that far.  MLB is in bed with the Nationals.  I do not trust them to do the right thing.

Well, that would be one way to end the MASN issue. The Angelos' can go find a new market they don't have to share, the Nats get their TV rights back, and are probably sold to Leonsis for a record price (which will make all the other owners happy). Everyone wins. Except the fans in Baltimore. Sounds familiar.

#18 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,113 posts

Posted 01 February 2023 - 01:59 PM

I wouldn't be so confident that Baltimore would be quick to get another franchise if the Orioles left. It's a dying, crime ridden city with a bleak future. Do you see any players who view Baltimore itself as a destination to play in?

#19 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 01 February 2023 - 02:09 PM

Well, that would be one way to end the MASN issue. The Angelos' can go find a new market they don't have to share, the Nats get their TV rights back, and are probably sold to Leonsis for a record price (which will make all the other owners happy). Everyone wins. Except the fans in Baltimore. Sounds familiar.

I don't think they are going anywhere, but if the Angelos family took the team elsewhere, he would go down in Baltimore Sports history with Drunken Bob Irsay as the most disgusting owners ever.

Taking the team away after phoning in 4 seasons is nothing short of terrible.  And they would be happy with their new pile of money.

@mikeghg

#20 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,271 posts

Posted 01 February 2023 - 03:22 PM

So what would be the reason, if you are John Angelos, for not exercising the 5-year option? I have to believe there would be no language in that extension that would preclude them from agreeing to and executing a long-term lease before the 5-years is up. So why not buy a little more time and put the public at ease (and end the questions from the media you obviously don't want to answer)?

Only two things make sense here. Either they want the option to leave after the season, or they want to have the leverage that the threat of leaving gives them in order to negotiate more favorable terms in a long-term lease (perhaps $600M isn't enough for them, or they want a whole new stadium). Still, the obfuscation is both concerning and off-putting. If you are demanding something from the public, come out and say what that is. It's all going to have to be approved by the state assembly anyway, so you can't hide it forever.

• makoman likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=