Howard County Football 2018

• Please log in to reply
171 replies to this topic

#1 GDEF

GDEF
  • Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 08:23 AM

Less than a month away until the start of another fun-filled season of Howard County Football. We have a few questions heading into the start of this season. 

1. Will anyone challenge Howard?

2. Will Centennial have a team?

3. Who are the sleeper teams?

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#2 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,429 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 13 July 2018 - 09:31 AM

GO EAGLES

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#3 ShoNuff07

ShoNuff07
  • Members
  • 277 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 07:43 PM

Less than a month away until the start of another fun-filled season of Howard County Football. We have a few questions heading into the start of this season. 

Glenelg - Return 13 starters from a 2A State Semi-Finalist, to include 2016 OPOY RB Wande Owens.  Plus players from the JV squad that went 7-1 to include 5 shutouts.  They play at Howard 07 Sept.

Long Reach - Yes, Long Reach lost quite a bit from its historic 3A State Semi-Finalist football team, 20 seniors plus a 2021 FBS prospect that transferred to McDonogh.  But they also bring in players from an undefeated JV squad last year. Their recent success should motivate the players to get better in the off-season. The last two games against cross-town rival Howard has been pretty close.  I expect another close game as the two play at Long Reach on 05 Oct.

They are doing the same things they did last year by playing 7 on 7 and conditioning.  But when it came time to report they just didn't quite have the players to compete.  I have a feeling this will happen again, I just hope I am wrong.

River Hill - Yes, they lost 20+ seniors from a 35 man team that shared the County Championship with Howard.  But Coach Van Duesen is finally sticking his FBS/FCS prospect in Jr DB Beau Brade on offense. River Hill still carries its mystic that put fear in the county teams, so they too may give Howard some problems., They play at Howard on 28 Sept.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#4 GDEF

GDEF
  • Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 09:55 PM

Everyone opens up tomorrow! Pretty excited to see what the league has to offer this year. 

#5 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,713 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 07:54 AM

Baltimore Sun: Participation strong for Centennial football on first day of practice

• GDEF likes this

#6 GDEF

GDEF
  • Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 02:14 PM

Baltimore Sun: Participation strong for Centennial football on first day of practice

That is great news!

• ShoNuff07 likes this

#7 ShoNuff07

ShoNuff07
  • Members
  • 277 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 01:41 PM

That is great news!

Perhaps this is good news in general for the county.  But I am not happy that Howard replace the Wilde Lake game with Centennial.  Now unless Centennial surprise a couple of team they will only be worth 7 points with no added bonus points.  Wilde Lake should win at least half their games, which will equal to 11 points.  Even though they were undefeated in the county, they were the #2 seed in their region behind 1-loss Paint Branch team.  Should always want to play at home as much as possible in the playoffs.

#8 GDEF

GDEF
  • Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 09:56 PM

Hopefully we can get some scrimmage updates as tomorrow goes!

#9 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,429 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 17 August 2018 - 09:58 PM

How are my Eagles looking?

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#10 ShoNuff07

ShoNuff07
  • Members
  • 277 posts

Posted 18 August 2018 - 08:58 AM

How are my Eagles looking?

This program is pretty much starting from the bottom.  With "about 45 players" showed up for 1st day of practice that is a HUGE win for the Eagles.  Hopefully they can build on this in the upcoming years.  Last year's JV team, which included several juniors, won only one game.  I don't expect the varsity team to win any games this season.  Just hope they are able to build on this season.

• Pedro Cerrano likes this

#11 GDEF

GDEF
  • Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 18 August 2018 - 02:24 PM

Howard dominated Arundle liberty and Wilde lake. They had their hands full against Walkersville and if I were being honest Walkersville controlled that portion of the scrimmage.

Great work from all the teams. This was a good scrimmage. All teams should be confident after today that they will have successful seasons.

#12 GDEF

GDEF
  • Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 18 August 2018 - 02:25 PM

Heard Long Reach had an up and down day in their playday. Catactin beat them but they were able to beat up on bonosboro and south carrol.

#13 ECF

ECF
  • Members
  • 238 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 18 August 2018 - 02:55 PM

Heard Long Reach had an up and down day in their playday. Catactin beat them but they were able to beat up on bonosboro and south carrol.

That was LR 2-3 in the game when they played Catoctin. Have to remember LR lost 25+ seniors, and a starting freshman corner to the privates. Looks to be a rebuilding year up front and at QB

Edited by ECF, 18 August 2018 - 02:57 PM.

East

Coast

Fan

#14 GDEF

GDEF
  • Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 18 August 2018 - 03:23 PM

Understandable. Lost some good players upfront and at qb

#15 ShoNuff07

ShoNuff07
  • Members
  • 277 posts

Posted 18 August 2018 - 08:14 PM

Howard dominated Arundle liberty and Wilde lake. They had their hands full against Walkersville and if I were being honest Walkersville controlled that portion of the scrimmage.

Great work from all the teams. This was a good scrimmage. All teams should be confident after today that they will have successful seasons.

I saw part of the Quad scrimmage.  I only saw when Howard scrimmaged against Arundel and Liberty.  I wouldn't say Howard dominated Arundel, but they did out scored them 3 TDs to 2 TDs. Liberty wasn't able to move the ball much on Howard. I didn't see the Walkersville scrimmage but I heard pretty much the same thing. However, I am VERY surprised Howard played Wilde Lake, that wouldn't happen with Coach Strunk at the helm.

#16 GDEF

GDEF
  • Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 18 August 2018 - 11:07 PM

Howard doesn’t play Wilde lake this year so why not?

#17 ShoNuff07

ShoNuff07
  • Members
  • 277 posts

Posted 19 August 2018 - 01:20 PM

Howard doesn’t play Wilde lake this year so why not?

And I agree with you GDEF, why not play Wilde Lake when you are not scheduled to play them.  But when Coach Strunk was hea Coach he would not played them.  In 2014 I can't remember all the teams at Howard's Quad scrimmage, but one of the teams there was Oakland Mills. They were 4-6 the previous year, but this season they were predicted to be one of the favorites to win the County due to their high-powered offense, led by QB David Pindell.  My understanding is that the Howard players begged to scrimmage Oakland Mills, but Coach Strunk told them no. I thought that was some unwritten rule, which is why I left yesterday's scrimmage after they scrimmaged Liberty.  So to hear that Coach Hannon agreed to scrimmage Wilde Lake was definitely a surprise.

#18 Oldtime

Oldtime
  • Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 05:38 AM

Everything I heard about the Howard Walkersville matchup was that Wville dominated the 1’s, 3 scores to 0.

#19 ECF

ECF
  • Members
  • 238 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 20 August 2018 - 06:15 AM

Anyone make it over to the Atholton scrimmage ?

East

Coast

Fan

#20 GDEF

GDEF
  • Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 10:19 AM

Everything I heard about the Howard Walkersville matchup was that Wville dominated the 1’s, 3 scores to 0.

I think it was 2-0 but Walkersville was the better team that day for sure. Howard needs to clean up its back 7 play. Everything else looks real strong for the Lions. This matchup highlighted the loss of Stephanos.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=