#941 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,623 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 30 July 2021 - 08:41 AM

And a first yeah? Was that first round pick selected tonight? Or was it for next year?

They traded the pick to Indiana along with Anthony Gil for Aaron Holiday a point guard and the first pick in the second round who turned out to be Isiah Todd, a 19 year old who played in the Dleague last year.  Todd is a power forward, who supposedly is very athletic with a good outside shot.  He was a 5 star recruit who opted not to go to college.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this
@mikeghg

#942 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 30 July 2021 - 08:43 AM

With my limited understanding, I like the moves. I loved our year with Russ, more than I thought I would. But we weren't going to win with him. Impressive to turn that into what they did.

#943 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,623 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 30 July 2021 - 08:45 AM

Given they gave up John Wall and got KCP, Harrell, and Kuzma, I kind of like the deal overall. Also, shorter deals and less money. 

I don't know if Beal stays for it, but I like it for the Wiz. 

I think Sheppard did very well freeing the Wizards from a max contract and getting a good group of players, who all can be good rotational pieces or who very likely can be dealt.  The Wizards will probably have about 25-30 million to spend in free agency next off season.

@mikeghg

#944 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,623 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 30 July 2021 - 08:46 AM

I also like the selection of Corey Kispert.  The Wizards needed shooting and they got a very good one in Kispert.  

Sheppard did a nice job.

@mikeghg

#945 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,623 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 30 July 2021 - 08:49 AM

With my limited understanding, I like the moves. I loved our year with Russ, more than I thought I would. But we weren't going to win with him. Impressive to turn that into what they did.

Russ plays so hard, I would worry that his body will eventually let him down.  He asked for a trade, and wanted to go home.  The Lakers Coach and GM, Lebron James wanted it to happen.  It did.  

My thought, Russ and the King are not a good fit.  They are both extremely ball dominant, and there is only 1 ball.  Maybe Russ adjusts his game.

@mikeghg

#946 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,024 posts

Posted 30 July 2021 - 08:54 AM

Something like...?

1 Holiday, Neto, Smith

2 Beal, Caldwell-Pope

3 Kuzma, Bertrans, Avdija, Kispert
4 Hachimura, Harrell

5 Bryant, Lopez, Len, Gafford

#947 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,623 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 30 July 2021 - 09:12 AM

Something like...?

1 Holiday, Neto, Smith

2 Beal, Caldwell-Pope

4 Hachimura, Harrell

I think, there is a point guard coming from somewhere.  The Wizards have some usable pieces at PG, but I would be surprised if those 3 are what they go to camp with.

I think Hodges makes the team probably at the expense of Len.

@mikeghg

#948 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,623 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 30 July 2021 - 09:13 AM

Something like...?

1 Holiday, Neto, Smith

2 Beal, Caldwell-Pope

4 Hachimura, Harrell

This group has many more shooters than last years team.

@mikeghg

#949 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 30 July 2021 - 09:44 AM

Something like...?

1 Holiday, Neto, Smith
2 Beal, Caldwell-Pope
4 Hachimura, Harrell

The sad thing is back before the super team era this team would be well built to compete. Young quick PG, MVP candidate 2guard. One of the better 3s in the league in Kuzma. Good def and rebounding at 4 and a decent 5 for what the league is currently.

But the way the league shifted it just isn’t enough. I think they end up dealing BB too. That trade will decide if we rebuild for 5 more years or if we have a shot at turning a corner.
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this
@JeremyMStrain

#950 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 30 July 2021 - 10:16 AM

The sad thing is back before the super team era this team would be well built to compete. Young quick PG, MVP candidate 2guard. One of the better 3s in the league in Kuzma. Good def and rebounding at 4 and a decent 5 for what the league is currently.

But the way the league shifted it just isn’t enough. I think they end up dealing BB too. That trade will decide if we rebuild for 5 more years or if we have a shot at turning a corner.

Well, look at teams of late like Miami, Atlanta, Toronto, even Milwaukee to a degree - I think this roster is one fashioned after those types of clubs. Beal is not Kawhi, Giannis or even Trey - but I think this roster could make some noise.

#951 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,933 posts

Posted 30 July 2021 - 10:54 AM

Something like...?

1 Holiday, Neto, Smith

2 Beal, Caldwell-Pope

4 Hachimura, Harrell

Neto, Smith, Lopez, and Len are all free agents, although some could be back, I guess.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#952 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts

Posted 30 July 2021 - 12:31 PM

Well, look at teams of late like Miami, Atlanta, Toronto, even Milwaukee to a degree - I think this roster is one fashioned after those types of clubs. Beal is not Kawhi, Giannis or even Trey - but I think this roster could make some noise.

It's like they have all the complementary parts of a real contending team, if they had lucked into an elite C somehow they probably could have been in the mix to come out of the east like this. There are no Shaq, Alonzo, Hakeem, Ewings anymore, but one of them with an elite outside scorer like Beal, and the rest of the parts they have...pretty sure championships have been won with less.

Looking at the composition though it kinda looks like another trade is coming. Like Beal going somewhere with a top flight PG coming back maybe? Holiday as the backup PG makes more sense...Pope as starting 2 guard? But that's probably a downgrade from where they are. I guess we'll have to see what happens. It's hard to really feel one way or the other right now.

@JeremyMStrain

#953 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,024 posts

Posted 30 July 2021 - 01:59 PM

What's their cap space?

#954 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts

Posted 30 July 2021 - 02:18 PM

What's their cap space?

Hard to tell exactly until everything is finalized, but by my math they are at about $112.5m and cap is $125m but they've got about a $9m trade exception from the LA trade so don't know how that factors in.

@JeremyMStrain

#955 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,024 posts

Posted 30 July 2021 - 03:45 PM

Maybe they can get Lonzo Ball?  I say that with zero idea of what type of contract Ball is in line for, or if the Wizards can afford.

#956 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,623 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 30 July 2021 - 04:14 PM

Maybe they can get Lonzo Ball?  I say that with zero idea of what type of contract Ball is in line for, or if the Wizards can afford.

That is one of the rumors floating around.  

Supposedly the Pelicans like Harrell and Kuzma.

Is Lonzo still on his rookie deal?

@mikeghg

#957 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,024 posts

Posted 30 July 2021 - 04:40 PM

Yeah, apparently he's a Restricted FA.

#958 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 31 July 2021 - 10:47 AM

That is an incredibly optimistic way of framing the Wiz roster imo.

How I'd frame it:
- One of the worst PG situations in the league
- Top 15ish player
- Meh 3
- Meh bigs

Good trade for the Wiz, though. Meanwhile, I do not like this for the Lakers.

#959 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts

Posted 31 July 2021 - 11:36 AM

That is an incredibly optimistic way of framing the Wiz roster imo.

How I'd frame it:
- One of the worst PG situations in the league
- Top 15ish player
- Meh 3
- Meh bigs

Good trade for the Wiz, though. Meanwhile, I do not like this for the Lakers.

I don't think it's THAT bad...but you may not be too far off. The NBA is kind of a mess right now identity wise though. We've been through phases where the dominant Centers controlled everything, we've seen small ball with great shooters, we've seen superteams...I'm not really sure where we are at right now. It's like a hodge podge.

In my other post I was saying it kinda feels incomplete, like there's another move that's supposed to go along with it, something that would push Holiday to backup at PG, if it's Beal moving out then you'd have KCP as the starting 2 guard, still have too many 3s. I mean it's a LOT of complimentary pieces, but feels like the kind you stack around two all-stars, which we don't have. Still kinda waiting to see from here I guess.

@JeremyMStrain

#960 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,024 posts

Posted 03 August 2021 - 07:23 AM

ESPN: Free-agent guard Spencer Dinwiddie nearing deal with Washington Wizards, sources say

https://www.espn.com...rds-sources-say

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)

Our Sponsors

width=