#1 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 21 September 2014 - 11:26 AM

I'll be providing a larger preview on Thursday, but here was my small write-up on Indiana:

Game Five: Indiana Hoosiers

2014 Record: 2-1 (0-0 Big Ten Conference)

2013 Record: 5-7 (3-5 Big Ten Conference)

Maryland’s first conference game as a member of the Big Ten Conference will come in Bloomington, Indiana against the Hoosiers. Kevin Wilson enters his fourth season as the head coach, and offensive coordinator Kevin Johns enters his fourth year with the team. The Hoosiers have no problem putting points on the board with their Air Raid offense, but their problems come on the defensive side of the ball. The team fired co-defensive coordinator Kevin Mallory after three seasons with the team, and will go into 2014 with William Inge and Brian Knorr serving as co-defensive coordinators.

Mallory ran a 4-3 defense with the team last season, but Knorr will be mixing in some 3-4 schemes after having success with that system at Wake Forest. The Hoosiers have a question mark at the quarterback position this season, and the job will likely be given to either Nate Sudfeld or Tre Roberson. Roberson has been hit with a large number of injuries over the past few seasons, but is a very talented dual-threat option for Kevin Wilson. Sudfeld is less mobile, but has a great arm. Both have had success in Kevin Johns’ Air Raid system, but addressing this question is a priority for the team this season.

Note: Nate Sudfeld is Indiana's starting quarterback after Tre Roberson transferred to Illinois State. He led the Hoosiers to a huge upset over #18 Missouri in their last game after the team fell to Bowling Green in their second game.

@BSLZackKiesel

#2 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 22 September 2014 - 08:48 AM

Testudo Times: Terps open as three-point underdogs against Indiana

http://www.testudoti...ds-betting-line

@BSLZackKiesel

#3 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,512 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 22 September 2014 - 09:47 AM

So according to Vegas it's essentially a tossup on an even field. I'll stick with my earlier prediction that Indiana wins, even though a letdown after their big win Saturday is by no means out of the question. MD has shown that they have no answer for slowing down offenses like Indiana's, and their lack of a running game won't help that at all.

#4 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,314 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 09:51 AM

As Birds alludes to above, it's imperative that MD has improvement in the running game.

It's also time for the Terps to figure out how to get Long involved with the offense at all... and Diggs more consistently.

#5 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,619 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 22 September 2014 - 09:53 AM

Indiana is likely the easiest game remaining on the schedule -- need to get this conference win.

OT, but does anyone know when the Ohio State game start time will be announced?  Tailgating plans need to be made!

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#6 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,243 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 22 September 2014 - 10:15 AM

Indiana is likely the easiest game remaining on the schedule -- need to get this conference win.

OT, but does anyone know when the Ohio State game start time will be announced?  Tailgating plans need to be made!

This afternoon.

#7 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,619 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 10:17 AM

Really hoping for 3:30.  Noon starts are just brutal for tailgating.

@bopper33

#8 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,243 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 22 September 2014 - 10:41 AM

Noon game. ABC.

#9 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,619 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 11:07 AM

Noon game. ABC.

Gross.

@bopper33

#10 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 11:36 AM

I would think both Iowa and Rutgers at home might be games the Terps would be favored in depending on how the season goes.  Maybe even at Michigan if that program starts to tank.

But no question, this is an important game for the Terps.  I think I generally agree with Birds' assessment above.  Terps have to find a better way to run the ball and sustain drives and keep the defense off the field.

#11 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 22 September 2014 - 02:33 PM

Gross.

Just think of it like this: you could just wait to tailgate until the game is over, which should be around 12:45.

@DJ_McCann

#12 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,512 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 03:38 PM

I would think both Iowa and Rutgers at home might be games the Terps would be favored in depending on how the season goes.  Maybe even at Michigan if that program starts to tank.

But no question, this is an important game for the Terps.  I think I generally agree with Birds' assessment above.  Terps have to find a better way to run the ball and sustain drives and keep the defense off the field.

Agree...Iowa and Rutgers look like more "winnable" games to me than Indiana, at least as I see it right now. Same goes for Michigan, if they can keep from getting caught up in the atmosphere and losing focus.

#13 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,512 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 03:39 PM

Two words: Bloody. Marys.

#14 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,314 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 09:05 PM

Testudo Times: Depth Chart Changes

http://www.testudoti...-chart-indiana#

#15 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 26 September 2014 - 10:27 AM

InsideMDSports: Against Indiana, Maryland Defensive Backs Could Be Shuffling

http://maryland.247s...ffling-31448209

This season, the injuries among the front seven on defense have received most of the attention -- with the linebacking core bearing the brunt of the injury bug this year -- but the defensive backfield might have taken a hit of its own when starting cornerback Alvin Hill emerged from the locker room after the Syracuse game last week on crutches.

While the depth chart shows Hill at the top this week and coach Randy Edsall hasn't given official word, it remains to be seen if he'll play at Indiana.

“J.J. (Jeremiah Johnson) is starting and that’s big for the team," linebacker L.A. Goree said. "He’s a leader and I think he’s going to do some amazing things."

@BSLZackKiesel

#16 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 27 September 2014 - 10:21 AM

Big injury news today. Starting CB Alvin Hill is out for the season with a torn PCL. He had surgery on Thursday.

Also out today: RB Albert Reid, LB Alex Twine, LB Matt Robinson.

@BSLZackKiesel

#17 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,314 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 10:35 AM

Big injury news today. Starting CB Alvin Hill is out for the season with a torn PCL. He had surgery on Thursday.

Also out today: RB Albert Reid, LB Alex Twine, LB Matt Robinson.

Disappointing to lose Hill for the year, even if Johnson was replacing him as a starter.

So Likely, and Johnson.... Jarrett Ross...

What about the JUCO Denzel Conyers? More from the RFr. Elvis Dennah?

I know they don't want to burn Redshirts, but is it time to look at at-least 1 of the Freshman... Daniel Ezeagwu, Antwine Carter?

#18 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 27 September 2014 - 11:09 AM

Disappointing to lose Hill for the year, even if Johnson was replacing him as a starter.

I know they don't want to burn Redshirts, but is it time to look at at-least 1 of the Freshman... Daniel Ezeagwu, Antwine Carter?

Ezeagwu is listed as the #4 corner behind Jarrett Ross.

@BSLZackKiesel

#19 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 27 September 2014 - 11:11 AM

For those interested, Desmond Howard, Kirk Herbstreit, Lee Corso, and Kenny Chesney all took Indiana in this game. But what do they know anyway?

@BSLZackKiesel

#20 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,512 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 11:49 AM

Think I read somewhere recently that Conyers is not eligible to play.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=