• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 18 September 2014 - 12:06 PM

So obviously Scotland is voting on its independence today and to break free of the UK.

I just read on twitter some of their polling locations closed early because their turnout was 100%.

That's crazy.

#2 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 12:18 PM

Rx8CLlt.jpg

• SportsGuy likes this
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#3 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 12:20 PM

I wonder if they'll actually split off. I know Scotland has a different predominant philosophy of government than a good chunk of the UK.

#4 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 18 September 2014 - 12:41 PM

This is an interesting thing, because it is essentially unprecedented for a piece of a united nation (and while Scotland has been historically independent, it has been officially part of the UK for over 300 years) to be allowed to vote itself free. The outcome, both in terms of the election and what happens if the vote is for independence, could have a major impact on other parts of the world: Quebec in Canada, Catalonia and Basque Country in Spain, etc.

@DJ_McCann

#5 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,729 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 18 September 2014 - 12:49 PM

John Oliver crushed it this week with his piece on Scottish independence.

• DJ MC likes this

#6 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,553 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 01:28 PM

I was in Scotland last year. Awesome place. My wife counts it as a different country than a UK when we list the places we've traveled even though she knows its not.

I think any place that can put together a vote and independence wins, they should be allowed to become an independent country.

So whatever Scotland decides, I support.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#7 Mark Carver

Mark Carver

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 02:04 PM

If Scotland does in fact breakoff from the UK, than they are out of the EU and NATO as well. And it would seem that they are not a lock of getting back in to either.

BRUSSELS — If Scottish voters this week say Yes to independence, not only will they tear up the map of Great Britain, they'll shake the twin pillars of Western Europe's postwar prosperity and security — the European Union and the U.S.-led NATO defense alliance.

In breaking away from the rest of the United Kingdom, Scotland would automatically find itself outside both the EU and NATO, and have to reapply to join both, officials from those Brussels-based organizations have stressed.

http://mashable.com/...nd-yes-eu-nato/

John Keegan, a renowned British military historian, has called World War II the greatest single event in the history of mankind. - Tom Brokaw, NBC special correspondent and author of "The Greatest Generation"

#8 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,553 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 02:45 PM

I read an article that said an independent Scotland currency would be amongst the highest rated in the world, so maybe they don't necessarily need the EU right away.

It'll be interesting to watch, that's for sure.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#9 KWebz

KWebz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 722 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 03:00 PM

I don't see why they wouldn't be let back in to NATO.

#10 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 03:11 PM

I read an article that said an independent Scotland currency would be amongst the highest rated in the world, so maybe they don't necessarily need the EU right away.

It'll be interesting to watch, that's for sure.

I saw a great line about how, if they are looking for a name for their currency, they could go with the highlander, but then there could only be ones.

I wouldn't be worried about the EU and NATO. Both of them would want to be in Scotland as much--probably more--as Scotland wants to be in them. Hell, they'll probably be let right into the UK Commonwealth if they want.

@DJ_McCann

#11 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,649 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 07:21 PM

I was born in Dundee and my mother's side lives there still. I love it there and go back every couple of years. I can tell you in talking with my family there is a lot of uncertainty. Half my family wants it and the other half doesn't, interesting to say the least.

#12 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 07:22 PM

I was born in Dundee and my mother's side lives there still. I love it there and go back every couple of years. I can tell you in talking with my family there is a lot of uncertainty. Half my family wants it and the other half doesn't, interesting to say the least.

What's your preference?

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#13 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 11:07 PM

One thing I think is safe to say:  Scotland is a lot more liberal than is England... so, if Scotland votes to be independent (no clue if they will), then 2 things will happen:

1.  We'll get to see what an honest-to-God liberal gov't actually does, and

2.  By removing Scotland from the UK vote, the UK will end up being more conservative (at least for a while).

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#14 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 11:42 PM

BBC's calling "No": http://www.bbc.com/n...otland-29270441

@DJ_McCann

#15 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

Half-Member, Half-Amazing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 18 September 2014 - 11:58 PM

All men betray. All men lose heart.

#16 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 07:49 AM

And I had a Braveheart gif queued. So much for that.

#17 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,553 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 08:19 AM

Better the devil you know than the devil you don't.

#18 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 10:01 AM

These vote counters might be worse than Florida!

TinyAffectionateAsianwaterbuffalo.gif

¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#19 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,649 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 11:29 AM

What's your preference?

Well the smartest person I know is my Uncle and he felt the potential industry loss, businesses threatening to move south due to potential currency stability issues, would send their economy crashing. He didn't feel the risk was worth it. I guess many felt the same.

#20 Cisc-O's

Cisc-O's

Back by no demand

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,087 posts
  • LocationFresh Prince of .......

Posted 20 September 2014 - 06:04 PM

Well the smartest person I know is my Uncle and he felt the potential industry loss, businesses threatening to move south due to potential currency stability issues, would send their economy crashing. He didn't feel the risk was worth it. I guess many felt the same.

Sounds like a good bit of fear mongering went on.  That is a shame.

<p>I am pretty sure Shack is thinking of PBR.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=