Photo

Where does last night (O's clinch division) rank for you?

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,560 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 02:17 PM

I guess it depends if you were there or not.

For Orioles-only moments, I'd put it just behind game 1 and 2 of the 1996 ALDS, which I also attended, and MAYBE the Texas wild card playoff game, which I watched on an iPad sitting outside a hotel office in France from like 2 AM - 5 AM.

For Baltimore sports moments including the Ravens, it's behind the two SB wins.

Pretty special night. Still hasn't sunk in enough.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#2 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 17 September 2014 - 02:21 PM

Probably one of the better in-person games, that's for sure. Though I hope that changes over the next month+.

Though, I am a sucker for walk-offs. The Sunday Night Baseball game was awesome. 

Sad to say this but outside of the AL Wild Card win, the 2011 win over the Red Sox may rank in my top 5 Orioles moments of all-time. I will never forget that night of baseball.

#3 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,546 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 17 September 2014 - 02:21 PM

This beats the two Super Bowl wins...easily.

If the sports gods want to give us a WS win this year in exchange for the two Super Bowls, I'll ship them from UPS myself.

Overall, seeing the Terps win the national title live in the Georgia Dome is probably tops, but man, I'd be lying if I said last night, and all the celebration afterwards wasn't REALLLLY close.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#4 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 17 September 2014 - 02:48 PM

The 9/27/11 game is interesting to me because I have to wonder how much of the affection for that moment is in retrospect. If the Orioles had continued to lose in the seasons since, it would have some memory as a high point, but it could be viewed as well as simply a booby prize. Whereas now it comes off as, in a narrative sense, the end of the first act of the franchise renaissance.

Of course, I was there, so it's still one of my top moments based on pure emotion.

I'd also put up there the 9/6/12 Ripken statue game where the Orioles beat the Yankees with three homers in the eighth after losing the lead. In the same way that the Andino game was telling the Red Sox we weren't going to be pushed around anymore, this game seemed about telling the Yankees the same thing.

I think the parade from the last Super Bowl is stronger in my mind than the game itself. Not because I was there, but because I wasn't: I tried but couldn't even get downtown. Then after getting home watching the crowds pouring into the street along the route and hearing the reports of how many people were trying to force their way into M&T Bank Stadium.

Last night was pretty good, though.

@DJ_McCann

#5 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,546 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 02:53 PM

Not gonna lie, I still go back and read the game thread on Sons of Sam Horn from that 2011 night.

It's my crack.

• tennOsfan likes this

@bopper33

#6 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,560 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 03:13 PM

Pedro, wow. Both SB's? I attended SB 47 so that will always be tops for me, unless the O's win the WS and I am there. That's the only thing that can top it, but maybe even them winning on the road would beat it. O's have always been my first love and since winning has been so elusive for them a WS victory is the only thing that I want more than anything.

I was there for the 2012 Cal statue game. One of the best game atmospheres ever, including the playoff games I've attended.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#7 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,546 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 03:18 PM

Pedro, wow. Both SB's? I attended SB 47 so that will always be tops for me, unless the O's win the WS and I am there. That's the only thing that can top it, but maybe even them winning on the road would beat it. O's have always been my first love and since winning has been so elusive for them a WS victory is the only thing that I want more than anything.

I was there for the 2012 Cal statue game. One of the best game atmospheres ever, including the playoff games I've attended.

Not gonna lie, I despise about 85% of the Ravens' fan base.  If they weren't from Baltimore I'd probably really dislike them.

That said, they're well below the Os, Lakers and Terps on my favorite teams list.

So yea, they can have the Super Bowls.  Both of them.  Give me my World Series that I've waited 20+ years for.

• DJ MC likes this

@bopper33

#8 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,560 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 03:19 PM

Pedro: I hate 85% Ravens fans. Oh yeah I'm a Lakers fan. 

3783720-lol.gif

• DJ MC likes this

#9 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,546 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 03:32 PM

Pedro: I hate 85% Ravens fans. Oh yeah I'm a Lakers fan. 

3783720-lol.gif

The image you posted doesn't work because of my work computer's firewall but comparing Ravens fans to Lakers fans is hilarious.

You couldn't find a more different group of people.

@bopper33

#10 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 03:39 PM

The image you posted doesn't work because of my work computer's firewall but comparing Ravens fans to Lakers fans is hilarious.

Oh, you're gonna love it :D

@DJ_McCann

#11 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,101 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 03:48 PM

Obviously this is subjective... no right, wrong... just what matters to you the most... 

My ranking of favorite Baltimore sports memories...

1) 1989 season

2) Terps National Title

3) 1st Ravens Super Bowl (including that post-season)

4) 2012 season

5) 2nd Ravens Super Bowl (including that post-season)

6) Opening of OPACY

7) 2131

8) Last game at Memorial Stadium

9) '96 Playoffs..

10) '93 All-Star Game / HR Derby

Last night might crack the top 10 for me, which I would not have expected yesterday afternoon.

The whole 'Magic Number' felt anti-climatic to me, with the O's in total control of the decision...but seeing the guys celebrate was great. It also made me reflect again on all of those lean years ('98-'11)... and how you wondered when would they ever again compete in the East.

Clearly, winning a 4th World Championship would mean more than a Division Title... but being the best in the East over 162 games is something to appreciate.

#12 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,560 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 03:48 PM

Just breaking balls dude.

I wasn't comparing the two fanbases. I just find it kind of funny that you 1) write off 85% of Ravens fans, of which probably 99% of them are also Oriole fans, and 2) admit to being a fan of the largest bandwagon team in the NBA.

But it's all good.

original1.gif

#13 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 03:50 PM

I just find it kind of funny that you 1) write off 85% of Ravens fans, of which probably 99% of them are also Oriole fans...

Oh, I wouldn't go remotely that far. Unless you're counting the worst kind of bandwagon fans.

@DJ_McCann

#14 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,560 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 03:51 PM

The AL East, for so long, seemed like a juggernaut that was invincible. It was the Yankees and then the Red Sox and the media loved it and it was big ratings and it felt like baseball was determined to make sure it never changed.

But it did.

The O's mowed through it. They finally got a "rebuild" right. 

The RS and Yankees are going to see some lean years, IMO.

#15 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,546 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 03:52 PM

Just breaking balls dude.

I wasn't comparing the two fanbases. I just find it kind of funny that you 1) write off 85% of Ravens fans, of which probably 99% of them are also Oriole fans, and 2) admit to being a fan of the largest bandwagon team in the NBA.

But it's all good.

original1.gif

Haha it has zero to do with being bandwagon fans -- it's their general demeanor and attitude that rubs me the wrong way.  I've seen some behavior at Ravens' games that is completely horrifying.  If these are the same people at Camden Yards they either change their attitude or being at a football game turns them into total monsters.

The one thing they do have in common is their spoiled behavior, I will concede that much.

@bopper33

#16 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,560 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 03:52 PM

Oh, I wouldn't go remotely that far. Unless you're counting the worst kind of bandwagon fans.

I don't want to get technical about it. It's all meant to be fun.

The infighting between Ravens and O's fans to me is ridiculous. 

#17 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,546 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 03:53 PM

And yes, it's sometimes embarrassing being a Laker fan too.

@bopper33

#18 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,560 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 03:53 PM

Haha it has zero to do with being bandwagon fans -- it's their general demeanor and attitude that rubs me the wrong way.  I've seen some behavior at Ravens' games that is completely horrifying.  If these are the same people at Camden Yards they either change their attitude or being at a football game turns them into total monsters.

The one thing they do have in common is their spoiled behavior, I will concede that much.

Aside from some annoying "game thread" style comments from fans around me, I don't experience that at Ravens games...at least not in my section.

And if it does exist, I'd say alcohol has a HUGE part to play.

#19 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,546 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 03:54 PM

I don't want to get technical about it. It's all meant to be fun.

The infighting between Ravens and O's fans to me is ridiculous. 

I know a girl that blames the Orioles for the Ravens not getting a home opener last year that borders on absurd.  She's completely convinced it's all their fault and won't listen to any argument about how so many things went into that outcome.

She actually wants the Orioles to move and, as a die hard Ravens fan, says she'd rather see the Steelers win another Super Bowl than watch the Orioles win a World Series.

This girl grew up in Baltimore.

@bopper33

#20 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,560 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 03:55 PM

The Ravens/Jaguars shootout in 2000 will always be one of those watermark games for me. We'd finally beaten the Jags, who'd gone undefeated against us previously, and it felt like we finally had a NFL-level team.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=