#1 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 14 September 2014 - 09:10 AM

I'll be providing a larger preview on Thursday, but here was my small write-up on Syracuse:

Game Four: Syracuse Orange

2014 Record: 2-0 (0-0 Atlantic Coast Conference)

2013 Record: 7-6 (4-4 Atlantic Coast Conference)

Scott Shafer’s first season at the helm of the Orange went pretty well last season. The team won 7 games in their first season in the ACC en route to a Texas Bowl victory over Minnesota. Shafer was promoted to head coach last season after spending the previous four seasons as Doug Marrone’s defensive coordinator. He turned around the Orange’s defense, and produced Chandler Jones, who in 2012 was taken in the 1st round of the NFL draft. 

The Orange run a pro-style offense, which last season specialized in running the football. Terrel Hunt took over at quarterback for the team’s Week Three game against Wagner, and impressed a lot of people with his poise. He led the team to a 7-4 record in games that saw him receive the majority of the snaps, and also became the team’s 2nd-leading rusher. Hunt enters 2014 as the team’s clear-cut starter at quarterback.

The Orange barely beat Villanova in their first game of the season by a score of 27-26 (OT), and easily took care of Central Michigan in their second game, beating them 40-3. Terrel Hunt was ejected from their first game for throwing a punch at a Villanova player, but was back for the team's game against CMU. Against the Chippewas, he went 20/30 for 175 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT, and ran 13 times for 92 yards and 3 touchdowns.

@BSLZackKiesel

#2 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,321 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 09:17 AM

One of Syracuse's 7 wins last year was at College Park. 

There is no margin of error here for Maryland. It is a game the Terps have to win.  Going into this game, it's probably a pick'em, with Syracuse given the edge for being at home.

• BSLZackKiesel likes this

#3 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,513 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 14 September 2014 - 01:22 PM

ACC Network....ugh. So I most likely won't get to watch this one. I guess moving to the Big Ten didn't completely mean the end of this nonsense after all.

#4 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 15 September 2014 - 11:07 PM

Testudo Times: Maryland football depth chart: Juwann Winfree, Evan Mulrooney make first appearances on two-deep

http://www.testudoti...-chart-syracuse

@BSLZackKiesel

#5 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 10:21 AM

I feel oddly confident about this one.  Not really sure why considering this team seems to be pretty poor on the road, but I think MD wins it without too much drama.

I think both the South Florida and WVU games will look better at the end of the year.  West Virginia looks pretty darn good to me.  Had a legitimate shot to beat Alabama.  

#6 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 16 September 2014 - 11:45 AM

I feel oddly confident about this one.  Not really sure why considering this team seems to be pretty poor on the road, but I think MD wins it without too much drama.   I think both the South Florida and WVU games will look better at the end of the year.  West Virginia looks pretty darn good to me.  Had a legitimate shot to beat Alabama.  

Despite what many want to think, this team is playing better each week. The offensive line is my biggest concern. They seem unable to contain 4-man rushes or get any kind of a push in the run game. This offense has to be able to run the ball in order to have success. C.J. Brown is not a guy you can send out there and throw 40-45 times and win. Many college QBs are like that. Get the run game going, he'll look a lot calmer.
@BSLZackKiesel

#7 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 11:58 AM

Despite what many want to think, this team is playing better each week. The offensive line is my biggest concern. They seem unable to contain 4-man rushes or get any kind of a push in the run game. This offense has to be able to run the ball in order to have success. C.J. Brown is not a guy you can send out there and throw 40-45 times and win. Many college QBs are like that. Get the run game going, he'll look a lot calmer.

I agree with you, but unfortunately I don't have much confidence in the O-line getting much better.  If your 5 guys can't contain a 4-man rush - and many times on Saturday they couldn't - then you could have Joe Montana back there and not have much of a chance.  Biggest concerns coming into the year were O-line and secondary, and that probably has mostly played out so far.

#8 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,321 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 12:01 PM

The competition has improved each week, doesn't this week.  Not sure I can get on-board with the Terps playing better each week. They played well against an FCS team. They turned the ball over like crazy vs. a Non-Power 5 team. They allowed 700 yards of offense against WVU.

Totally agree about MD needing to be able to run the ball.

This is certainly a winnable game. Line I've said has Syracuse as a 1.5 point favorite.. seems about right to me... MD the favorite on a neutral field, the Orange favored at home. Basically a pick'em.

This is a very significant game for Edsall and MD.

#9 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,321 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 07:00 PM

Looking back at last year's loss vs. Syracuse:
http://baltimorespor...d-20-3-learned/

#10 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,321 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 10:57 AM

Testudo Times: Maryland football stats preview: Orange crush vs. Syracuse?

http://www.testudoti...4-preview-stats

#11 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 18 September 2014 - 12:31 PM

Testudo Times: Randy Edsall says he would consider playing Caleb Rowe

http://www.testudoti...rown-caleb-rowe

Caleb Rowe could replace C.J. Brown at quarterback for Maryland in the future if Brown's passing problems continue, Randy Edsall said in a radio interview Thursday morning.

"On a day-to-day basis if we evaluate things from practice and then, even in the games, C.J.'s the guy that gives us that best opportunity to do all the things we need to do," Edsall said. "But I feel very comfortable and confident that if Caleb has to go in or we need him to go in, he'll be able to do the job."

"If you get to a situation where you feel like you have to make a move like that," Edsall said, "you'll make it."

@BSLZackKiesel

#12 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,321 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 01:48 PM

Testudo Times: 3 key match-ups

http://www.testudoti...l-2014-matchups

#13 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,321 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 01:49 PM

Washington Post: Storylines to watch

http://www.washingto...lines-to-watch/

#14 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,321 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 11:31 AM

Cuse with the ball first...

#15 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,321 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 11:31 AM

Jeff Ermann @insidemdsports  ·  1h

Matt Robinson, Quinton Jefferson and Cavon Walker out per @mzenitz and @romanstubbs. Maryland's depth on defense is being tested.

#16 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,321 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 11:32 AM

3rd and long coming for the Orange..

#17 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,321 posts

3rd and 5 picked up.. big gain... 'Cuse out to around midfield.

#18 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts
  • LocationIn-N-Out Sucks, CA

That looks like an awful place to play and watch a football game.

Lemme get two claps and a Ric Flair

#19 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,321 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 11:34 AM

3rd and 7.... picked up by the QB himself on the ground.

#20 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,321 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 11:34 AM

Now a run to the MD 20....   going right down the field.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=