• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 10:07 AM

Based on who is currently here, what would you like to see the 25 man Opening Day roster look like?

My guess is that the O's will likely have Bergesen, Tillman, and maybe Matusz starting for AAA Norfolk to begin the year. That would mean that other pitchers on the 40 man like Darren O'Day, Rapada, Zach Phillips, and VandenHurk would be competing for spots in the Baltimore pen. My preference would be a staff which looks like:

Guthrie, Britton, Arrieta, Matusz, Wada
Johnson, Gregg, Strop, Hunter, Simon, Bergesen or Tillman, Patton or Eveland

I know the O's seem to prefer Davis at 3rd, and and Reynolds at 1st. I prefer the opposite. With the addition of Chavez, my current lineup and bench looks like:

Hardy SS
Markakis RF
Jones CF
Reynolds 3rd / 1st
Wieters C
Davis 1st / 3rd
Reimold LF
DH
Andino 2nd

Roberts, Teagarden, Antonelli or Flaherty, Chavez

Based on what is here today, I guess I should be listing Roberts as the DH, with both Antonelli and Flaherty on the roster. As I see that as very unlikely, I'll leave it as it is.

It seems pretty clear to me that a large move or two will be coming.

Things I could see happening (not in any order of likely-hood):

1) A strong bid for Cespedes, who if obtained would take over LF, with Reimold becoming the DH.

2) An addition of Wei-Yin. This seems less likely after the addition of Wada, but perhaps still possible. If obtained, like Wada he would begin '12 in the O's rotation.

3) Further pursuit of Chicago's Gavin Floyd, and Carlos Quentin.
ESPN’s Jayson Stark reported last December (2010) that Chicago was shopping these two as a duo. The Sun’s Dan Connolly tweeted during the Winter Meetings that multiple sources have confirmed that the O’s have interest in the pair.

Floyd, the Annapolis native, turns 29 in January. For his career Floyd is 58-55, with a 4.50 era. The RHP has 4 consecutive seasons of at-least 30 starts, and 187+ ip. In 2011, Floyd was 12-13, with a 4.37 era. In 193.2 ip, Floyd allowed 180 hits, 22 homers, 45 walks, with 151 k’s. He had a .685 OPS against (.743 for his career), and a G/F ratio of .84 (.82 career). Floyd is owed $7M in 2012, with a $9.5M club option for ’13.

Quentin turned 29 in August. For his career the RH hitting OF/DH has a .836 OPS. He has had 4 consecutive seasons of 20+ homers, including a career high 36 in 2008. In 2011, Quentin was limited to 118 games after spraining the AC joint in his left shoulder making a diving catch. In those 118 games, Quentin had 55 xbh’s, and a .838 OPS. Quentin is arbitration eligible for 2012, and a Free Agent for ’13. Quentin had horrible UZR/150 numbers in the OF in ’09, and ’10, but had solid enough numbers in ’08, and ’11. He is probably best suited for DH, but serviceable enough to be used in both Left and Right.

If Chicago is going to move these two, their GM Kenny Williams is doing so to reduce salary. Based on that, there should only be so much going back to the White Sox. I would think Tillman, and Avery would be attractive to Chicago. Tillman has the tools to be a future Floyd, and would be under their control cheaply for years. Williams loves athletic prospects, and Avery qualifies in that regard. Would that be enough to get them back? Maybe not. Would Chicago have interest in Johnson? On ability yes, without a doubt. Johnson is arbitration eligible for ’12, and ’13. I’d include Johnson for Floyd and Quentin as I would prefer a starter I know is capable of 190 competent innings, as opposed to either having Johnson in the bullpen, or watching him transition to the rotation. I’d also be pleased to add another power bat to the lineup, with only giving up Tillman (who I am still a fan of), and Avery. I would be irritated by Matusz being included in a package for the White Sox duo, but it something I could see Showalter advocating.

#2 NCRaven

NCRaven
  • Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 04:31 PM

Well, as of now, I see:

1B Reynolds
2B Roberts/s, Flaherty/l
SS Hardy, Andino
3B Davis/l, Antonelli
C Wieters/s, Teagarden
LF Reimold, Chavez/l
CF Jones
RF Markakis/l

SP Guthrie, Britton/l, Arrieta, Wada/l, Hunter
RP Johnson, Strop, Gregg, O'Day, Patton/l, Phillips/l or Rapada/l, Simon

The only other move I'd like to see is a quality starting pitcher. Someone who can go up against the Yanks or Bosox without giving me a queasy feeling in my stomach. For that reason, I wouldn't mind a move for Floyd. But, I don't want to take another player and move Reimold out of right field.

#3 Luke Jackson

Luke Jackson
  • Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 02:48 AM

NCRaven's 25-man looks about right. Interested to see what they have in store for Eveland, as he has no business being in an AL East rotation (neither do Wada or Hunter, but I digress..). Is Eveland a bullpen guy if he doesn't crack the rotation or do they want him starting in Norfolk to keep him on a starter's workload so they can plug him into the rotation if need be? We're not sure yet.

I'd like to see them sign Chen Wei-Yin, who would represent a young-ish starting pitcher with upside and an opportunity to be a productive member of an AL East rotation. I'd be real hesitant to give him more than three years, and if he's got another team offering him four years, I'd likely move on. With Darvish off the board, I'd expect the rest of the starting pitching market to pick up. Maybe a few notable signings before Christmas. A Chen signing would give the O's a Guthrie-Britton-Chen-Arrieta-Wada rotation. Hardly inspiring of confidence, but at least there's a bit more upside there then the rotation as it stands now.

On Roberts, no one really knows. I suspect Andino will get plenty of at-bats this year, though, and if he can string a few *relatively* solid months together with the bay, maybe they can flip him for a prospect with a little upside. On Flaherty, we'll see.

I'd like to see Patton finally get a fair shot to stick in the 'pen out of spring training.
@BSLLukeJackson

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=