• Please log in to reply
330 replies to this topic

#101 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 08:48 AM

I was wondering if there was a way to preview posts by scrolling on the topic without clicking on it? Thanks.

The change is now in place. Now when you hover over a topic, it will show you the first 150 characters of the first post.

Posted Image

If you don't like this feature, you can disable it for your account by going to:

User Control Panel ->
----- Board Preferences ->
---------- Edit Display Options ->
--------------- Display topic previews
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#102 osfan99

osfan99
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • Locationwest

Posted 16 June 2012 - 12:25 PM

Thanks Sammy! That is an awesome improvement.
  • SammyBirdland likes this

#103 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 16 June 2012 - 10:27 PM

Yo Sammy, a few things I've noticed.

I love that you increased the post per page limit, but its still not jiving quite right. It defaults to the 15 per page when showing each forum sub-section (like O's talk). When I click on the button to take me to first unread post, it does weird things where it only shows the last 15 posts (or less) until I hit refresh.

Additionally, and I just figured this out, you can't give out karma until you have 10 posts, I think. I thought I was being such an idiot, but right after I made my last post I now see the green plus for the first time. By design?

Lastly, when I hit quick reply to post, and hit submit, it takes me to another page to confirm the post. I'd like to bypass this extra step if possible.

My apologies if these are fixes I can take care of myself. Thanks, as always.

@fuzydunlop

#104 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 10:34 PM

Hey McNulty, good to see you here :)

Can you give me step by step instructions for the first issue you're seeing? When I click the view latest post icon, it seems normal. When I refresh, nothing changes, still looks normal.

Karma -- the default setting is 10 posts. I'll talk to Chris to see if we should change that to avoid confusion.

Quick Edit -- i'll check into seeing if we can ditch the confirmation.

Edit: When I click Quick Reply, enter my post, and hit submit, it takes me to a page that says I have successfully submitted my post, then automatically refreshes back to where I was. Is that the page you want to bypass, or do you get an "are you sure" that you have to submit on?

Thanks for the feedback.
  • McNulty likes this
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#105 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 16 June 2012 - 10:43 PM

Ha, re: quick reply, it stopped taking me to the 'are you sure' part. But getting rid of the successfully submitted post then auto refresh would be nice too.

For the first one, here's an example. I clicked on the Jason Hammel thread. Page 8 (of 9). The last post on that page is SG at 11:33 from tonight. The first is (shocking!) SG again on Wed at 11:59. Up at the top, it says page 3 of 4.

If I click next or page 4, it fixes the problem and shows the last 17 posts (since the thread has 167).

Its not really a big deal for me, but I don't want to be the guy who notices problems and doesn't speak up. The morons I supervise at work are professionals at this behavior and it makes me homicidal.

@fuzydunlop

#106 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 16 June 2012 - 10:47 PM

Ha, re: quick reply, it stopped taking me to the 'are you sure' part. But getting rid of the successfully submitted post then auto refresh would be nice too.

For the first one, here's an example. I clicked on the Jason Hammel thread. Page 8 (of 9). The last post on that page is SG at 11:33 from tonight. The first is (shocking!) SG again on Wed at 11:59. Up at the top, it says page 3 of 4.

If I click next or page 4, it fixes the problem and shows the last 17 posts (since the thread has 167).

Its not really a big deal for me, but I don't want to be the guy who notices problems and doesn't speak up. The morons I supervise at work are professionals at this behavior and it makes me homicidal.

I know that game.

As far as the page thing - I've seen this too, but when I went to my individual preferences in my Control Panel, I noticed that I had it set to 15 posts per page. That was conflicting with the board's formatting of 20 per page. When I changed my setting to 20, this issue went away.

I would check there - but I'm sure Sammy will figure this out.

#107 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 11:07 PM

I know that game.

As far as the page thing - I've seen this too, but when I went to my individual preferences in my Control Panel, I noticed that I had it set to 15 posts per page. That was conflicting with the board's formatting of 20 per page. When I changed my setting to 20, this issue went away.

I would check there - but I'm sure Sammy will figure this out.

Good catch, both of you guys. Yep, it looks like it respects your setting when you're inside the topic, but when you're on the list of topics it uses the default forum setting of 20.

I'll look into this.
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#108 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 11:26 PM

Karma buttons should now show up for everyone, regardless of how many posts you have.
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#109 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 17 June 2012 - 01:16 PM

Sorry if this has already been brought up - but is there any way to add a multi-quote feature? So if you want to reply to multiple posts in a thread, you can click a +1 type button, and then quote the other post so that each show up as separate embedded quotes in your reply?

#110 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 08:06 PM

This issue is now fixed. Your custom "posts per page" setting should now be in effect everywhere. Let me know if you still see issues.
  • McNulty likes this
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#111 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 03:29 PM

I see where there's a way to "mark topics as read".
But is there a way to selectively mark individual threads as read?

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#112 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 04:09 PM

I haven't found a good solution for that one. What I usually do is middle-click on the topic title that I don't care about and want to mark as read. That opens it in a new background tab. Next time I refresh the page, that topic will be marked as read. I then just close all the tabs when I'm done.
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#113 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 18 June 2012 - 04:17 PM

Yeah, read them ;)
  • Chris B likes this

#114 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 04:40 PM

Yeah, read them ;)

Harrumph...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#115 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 18 June 2012 - 04:43 PM

Harrumph...

Posted Image

#116 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 18 June 2012 - 07:08 PM

I might've mentioned this before, but here goes.

When you're on the Board Index, and you click on the latest thread that has been posted in it takes you to the latest post in that thread. Could we make it so that it takes you to the post that you have read last in said thread?

#117 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 08:21 PM

When you're on the Board Index, and you click on the latest thread that has been posted in it takes you to the latest post in that thread. Could we make it so that it takes you to the post that you have read last in said thread?

I'll look into that.
  • Chris B likes this
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#118 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 09:52 PM

Adding that to the Board Index page might be a little tricky, since we would have to determine if there are actually any unread posts for you in the most recently updated topic.

It's probably worth mentioning that if you click into one of the forums from the Board Index, there is a little red icon to take you to the first unread post for any of the topics in the list.

Posted Image

You can also click the "All Unread" link at the top to see all unread topics on one page, and then use that same icon to go to the first unread post in any of them.

Posted Image
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#119 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 18 June 2012 - 11:01 PM

Organization-wise, would it be cleaner to create a sub-section with the individual player threads?

Like: Jason Hammel, Mark Reynolds, Nick Markakis...etc.
@JeremyMStrain

#120 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:57 AM

Organization-wise, would it be cleaner to create a sub-section with the individual player threads?

Like: Jason Hammel, Mark Reynolds, Nick Markakis...etc.

Personally, I don't see the benefit... if I want to find something in a library, I use a library (after I use google, that is)... stuff here isn't that, this is mainly for people to just talk about stuff...

The last thing I feel like doing is hunting around to find the right place to read something... just the basic time-stamp order alone naturally provides about 99% of the organization I need for that...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=