383 replies to this topic

#61 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,712 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 04:16 PM

If we are doing Canton and want to avoid the typical places on the Square as Chris alludes to, which I think is a good idea, I would suggest Cardinal Tavern, Hudson Street Stackhouse, Smaltimore, or Pig & Rooster (haven't actually been to this place since it switched to new ownership by the folks that run Chasseur, but I've heard good things).

Some of those places aren't huge, so if we have more than 8 or so, maybe one of the larger places would be better.  Hudson St and Smaltimore do have plenty of space.

#62 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 04:39 PM

Some good suggestions from Mackus... 

One more...  Barcocina....  it's in Fells, at the old Shuckers location...

Lot of parking (Fells point garage right there)...  lot of space around the multiple bars.

Whatever you guys decide works best.

#63 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 15 September 2014 - 05:05 PM

Never been to Barcocina, but that seems cool. Max's in Fells would be good with me too. Or the Heavy Seas Ale House. They have an outdoor (surrounded by the restaurant) beer garden that is spacious and has corn hole. The bar area has some big tables too. 

Canton is further for me, but either of the places with more space seem good. 

#64 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 15 September 2014 - 05:31 PM

Never been to Barcocina, but that seems cool. Max's in Fells would be good with me too. Or the Heavy Seas Ale House. They have an outdoor (surrounded by the restaurant) beer garden that is spacious and has corn hole. The bar area has some big tables too. 

Guy travels 90 minutes to hang out, then he moves into the city and you have trouble getting him to go a few blocks. Typical city hipster ;)
@JeremyMStrain

#65 KWebz

KWebz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 722 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 05:38 PM

Heavy Seas' outdoor space has corn hole as well.

#66 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 06:08 PM

Guy travels 90 minutes to hang out, then he moves into the city and you have trouble getting him to go a few blocks. Typical city hipster ;)

That's right! I just like walking places.

#67 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 06:12 PM

That's right! I just like walking places.

I have a bunch of friends in the city that do the same thing. Always amuses me.
@JeremyMStrain

#68 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 06:20 PM

Why is that?

#69 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 06:29 PM

Why is that?

It's like they get so set in their ways that they forget there are entire worlds outside of that little tiny box they live in. It's almost like a level of elitism forms (not all of them, but for most of them).

@JeremyMStrain

#70 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 06:33 PM

Why is that?

It's like they get so set in their ways that they forget there are entire worlds outside of that little tiny box they live in. It's almost like a level of elitism forms (not all of them, but for most of them).

Well a big positive of city life to me is the walkability. But at the same time, I'll certainly drive for some things.
  • PatrickDougherty likes this

#71 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 15 September 2014 - 06:37 PM

Funny, but that's precisely what I think about burb people.

Weber, take an uber dude.  Its 5-8 bucks to Canton from where you are.

• mweb08 likes this

@fuzydunlop

#72 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 06:41 PM

Well a big positive of city life to me is the walkability. But at the same time, I'll certainly drive for some things.

There's extremes to it this conversation doesn't do justice, but the trend was usually young couples just before or after marriage.

With a lot of them, if you don't go to the city to see them, your friendship is done, cause they are NOT leaving the city, no matter how many times you go to them.

I mean I get the city thing, that's a huge part of why you move there, just the inflexibility, I'm not even talking like a 80/20 split of coming to them/going somewhere else, I mean like 99/1. On the micro scale I get it, I lived in CP, but we still went out to DC/BMore all the time and spread it around. I guess I just don't have the attention span for one place all the time. Even if it is a diverse city like Baltimore.

• McNulty likes this
@JeremyMStrain

#73 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 15 September 2014 - 06:44 PM

There's extremes to it this conversation doesn't do justice, but the trend was usually young couples just before or after marriage.

With a lot of them, if you don't go to the city to see them, your friendship is done, cause they are NOT leaving the city, no matter how many times you go to them.

I mean I get the city thing, that's a huge part of why you move there, just the inflexibility, I'm not even talking like a 80/20 split of coming to them/going somewhere else, I mean like 99/1. On the micro scale I get it, I lived in CP, but we still went out to DC/BMore all the time and spread it around. I guess I just don't have the attention span for one place all the time. Even if it is a diverse city like Baltimore.

Fair enough, but most of my friends back home won't even venture into the city because spending 3 minutes to find a parking spot is MADNESS!  And the idea of walking somewhere is foreign.  You should see the looks I get when I tell them I didn't take my car to California.  

@fuzydunlop

#74 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 06:45 PM

Very understandable. Kelly and I will still go to the beach often when it's warm and we'll go to Philly, Annapolis, and DC on occasion. Go out to the mountains for hiking too. So I'm all for mixing things up.

#75 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 06:52 PM

Fair enough, but most of my friends back home won't even venture into the city because spending 3 minutes to find a parking spot is MADNESS!  And the idea of walking somewhere is foreign.  You should see the looks I get when I tell them I didn't take my car to California.  

Yeah don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those burbs guys that runs away at the thought of the city, I love Baltimore (hate DC, and live 5 min from it) but it's a hike, so it's like an all day adventure when I go. Like Canton a lot. Spent a HUGE chunk of college in Fells, and a good bit of my late 20s in Fed.

My wife wanted to do the micro city thing like Bethesda and get rid of her car when we lived in MoCo, but the whole teaching and having to drive to most of the schools kinda shot that down. I like to visit, just wouldn't want to live there. Bi-product of growing up so close to the city with all the perks of the burbs I guess.

@JeremyMStrain

#76 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 06:54 PM

Very understandable. Kelly and I will still go to the beach often when it's warm and we'll go to Philly, Annapolis, and DC on occasion. Go out to the mountains for hiking too. So I'm all for mixing things up.

Thats good then. Just don't lose the appreciation for the stuff around it once in a while. I probably would have been the same way had I done the city thing before we had kids.

The social sports scene there is something of legend, but if you guys get serious about doing the softball thing, there's a Howard County league that plays above Columbia/Ellicott City that's LEGIT. It's about 10-15 from the city, but as far as softball goes, it's probably tops around.

• mweb08 and KWebz like this
@JeremyMStrain

#77 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 07:25 PM

Good deal. So as of now, it looks like Mack, Patrick, Ricker, Stoner, Kelly, and myself are going Thursday. Anyone else?

#78 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 08:34 PM

Thursday, no matter where, im in.
  • mweb08 likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#79 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 15 September 2014 - 08:39 PM

I should be there barring something coming up last minute.

#80 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 15 September 2014 - 08:41 PM

Btw...outdoor cornhole sounds good...maybe even for money. :)
  • Mike in STL likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=