• Please log in to reply
668 replies to this topic

#521 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,210 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 23 August 2019 - 09:46 AM

I'm going to give the Angelos family credit, and say that they prepared for this possible decision, and have been setting aside the money all along. Now the interest is different, unless they also anticipated that aspect as well. The reason I'm giving them credit, is because I assume they also realized that a lump sum payout would strangle their resources and they'd run the risk of bankruptcy. Peter has been a monumentally terrible owner, but he seems to be a wise businessman. I can't imagine they'd go down the path of win it all or bust.  

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#522 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 27 September 2019 - 08:38 PM

Balt Sun: After big court decision in TV rights dispute, Orioles and Nationals disagree on how much MASN ordered to pay

#523 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 28 September 2019 - 10:21 AM

What a bunch of children.

The idea that they can’t come to some sort of agreement is just stupid.

#524 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,683 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 29 September 2019 - 09:12 AM

The Orioles have a legitimate point in the (30M) dispute.

If the Nats get awarded the money, you have to go back and re-figure each year with the 'new' award, which would include a like payment to the Orioles.

Pulling an additional (average) 40M out of the MASN bottom line annually changes the profit available to be shared each of those 5 years.

Interesting that we see the MASN profit splits over that period.  Orioles: 234.8M, Nationals 41.5M

#525 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,933 posts

Posted 30 September 2019 - 08:23 AM

Yeah, I think the O's argument here makes sense - the Nats received profit distributions during the contract, and now that the rights fees are being retroactively increased, the profit distributions should be retroactively decreased.  Makes sense to me.

#526 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,729 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 01 October 2019 - 09:50 AM

What happens first, a resolution to  this dispute or a winning season for the Birds?

• Mackus likes this

#527 Thirteen

Thirteen

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 505 posts

Posted 01 October 2019 - 10:32 AM

What happens first, a resolution to  this dispute or a winning season for the Birds?

I think we'll see an Orioles/Nationals World Series first.

• weird-O likes this

#528 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,712 posts

Posted 01 October 2019 - 01:18 PM

Orioles winning season is my vote.  Fun question!

• DuffMan likes this

#529 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 16 November 2019 - 05:54 PM

https://www.espn.com...-panel-decision

#530 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,933 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 01:53 PM

This part seems like good news for the O's, at least.  The Nats were pissed when the O's withheld a profit sharing payout a few months ago.

He said the sides should jointly submit a proposed judgment by Nov. 21 and also said the Orioles are not precluded from seeking recalculations of MASN profit distributions.

• weird-O likes this

#531 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,933 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 10:56 AM

Frobby started a great thread over at OH, where he was able to figure out the numbers and see exactly how much money the O's would owe the Nats if the MASN decision stands.

https://forum.oriole...lifts/#comments

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#532 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,210 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 01:18 PM

If I read that correctly, losing all future appeals, the O's would owe the Lerner's $69.6M plus interest. That's not an enormous sum of money, in context of how much MASN is bringing in. That doesn't seem like a figure that would/should cripple the O's payroll needs, even if they were in a win now position. So it definitely shouldn't impact them as they stand today. 

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#533 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,933 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 02:22 PM

If I read that correctly, losing all future appeals, the O's would owe the Lerner's $69.6M plus interest. That's not an enormous sum of money, in context of how much MASN is bringing in. That doesn't seem like a figure that would/should cripple the O's payroll needs, even if they were in a win now position. So it definitely shouldn't impact them as they stand today. 

I think it's more than that.  They owe the Nats $69.6M (about $14M/yr) but there's also revenue sharing on the O's increased rights fees.  Their rights fees increased by $99.2M, so they now need to share that with the other teams.  I had thought revenue sharing was 28%, but Frobby said 48%, and he's probably right.  So, it's $69.6M plus as much as an additional $48M, or about $118M, or $24M per year.  Basically, a second, hidden Chris Davis contract.

• BSLChrisStoner and weird-O like this

#534 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,933 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 02:42 PM

Although, the hidden Chris Davis contract is actually a little better than his actual contract.  The O's get zero production from the hidden contract, compared to negative production from the actual guy.

• Mike in STL likes this

#535 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,210 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 04:41 PM

Although, the hidden Chris Davis contract is actually a little better than his actual contract.  The O's get zero production from the hidden contract, compared to negative production from the actual guy.

:D :D :D

#536 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 06:58 PM

I asked Matt Perez (MattP) to give his thoughts on that Frobby post... 

He referred me to his twitter posts from September: 

& also included this comment: 

"I'd just note a few other things.

1) MASN distributed some of its profits. They didn't distribute ALL of them. We don't know how much they kept -- especially after 2016. Before 2016, they distributed most.

2) We know that MASN didn't distribute any 2018 profits and the Nationals sued them for it.

3) The Nationals don't want to pay back the profits they received. If that happens, the Os won't either. They also want MASN to put the escrow money in an account so that they'll lose $2M right away and $1.5M per year. We'll see what happens in the courts.

4) MASN has gone from 5.9 million subscribers to 4.6 million per WTOP (they seemingly erroneously misunderstand a document that MASN submitted, but their numbers make sense). At some point, cord cutting will make MASN insolvent.'

• Nigel Tufnel likes this

#537 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 04 December 2019 - 07:13 PM

Orrrrr MASN could start a streaming service like pretty much every other MLB regional network
  • BobPhelan likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#538 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 04 December 2019 - 10:14 PM

Orrrrr MASN could start a streaming service like pretty much every other MLB regional network

My understanding is that MLB will now allow, or is at least seriously considering allowing, MLBTV.com subscribers to stream in-market games. That doesn't help MASN much, but it should put a little more money into the O's pocket via a 1/30 share of increased revenues from subscriptions to streaming. And with cord-cutting showing no signs of slowing down or reversing, they need to do that sooner than later.

UPDATE: I researched and found the article. Actually all they voted on was letting the teams stream their games themselves in-market if they want. So yeah, MASN needs to get off its ass and join the rest of us in the present.

https://sports.yahoo...-200214832.html

#539 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 07:57 AM

MASN needs to get off its ass and join the rest of us in the present.

https://sports.yahoo...-200214832.html

Doubt it. Have you seen Mid-Atlantic sports report and Wall to Wall Baseball, which look and sound like they are straight out of the 1970s. Are those shows even in HD?

Caps programming is amazing, maybe they got that NBC money. Even “Ravens productions” blows away everything MASN does in terms of keeping up with the times.
@BSLMikeRandall

#540 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,210 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 08:58 AM

If I'm remembering correctly, when MASN was negotiating with the local TV service providers, they told them they wanted ~$2.00 per subscriber in their baseball market, even if that subscriber didn't have a package that included MASN. Direct TV agreed, Comcast said, No. When MASN first went live, you could only watch games, if you had D-TV. Comcast quickly relented. MASN agreed to only allow their service to be available through those providers. It was an easy concession, given that streaming outlets, capable of broadcasting live content, didn't exist yet. 

MASN gets a lot of money, simply from staying loyal to the TV providers. Like any venture, they'll change direction, when there's more money to be had elsewhere. At this point, I don't think dedicated O's viewers, who are also cord-cutters, outnumber the subscribers.

So unless the TV providers agree to keep paying those subscriber fees, but also allow MASN to be available through an app on Roku, et al., I don't see them entering the streaming world.

MASN has been a complete scam, from day one. It only serves to line the Angelos family pockets. It artificially suppresses the revenue potential for both teams, and stands as a barrier between the teams and their fans. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=