#1 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 25 July 2014 - 04:05 PM

Camden ChatHall of Fame weekend: Are there any present day Orioles who stand a chance of getting in?

Yes, I know it's unlikely any of them will, still fun to discuss.

@levineps

#2 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 25 July 2014 - 04:28 PM

I wonder if somehow Jones might make a case one day. Seems very far fetched... but this pitchers era will likely force voters to re-evaluate some of the classic bench marks for offensive players. He's pretty much a perennial all-star, a perennial gold glove contender (defensive metrics be damned), and he's been playing on some good teams of late. HUGE IF's... but IF the O's won a World Series, and/or Jones somehow won an MVP or something, I could see it possibly.

I used to think Markakis had an outside chance... but now he has no chance. He's still my favorite Oriole from this era.

I think Machado has the best chance.

#3 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 25 July 2014 - 04:33 PM

I wonder if somehow Jones might make a case one day. Seems very far fetched... but this pitchers era will likely force voters to re-evaluate some of the classic bench marks for offensive players. He's pretty much a perennial all-star, a perennial gold glove contender (defensive metrics be damned), and he's been playing on some good teams of late. HUGE IF's... but IF the O's won a World Series, and/or Jones somehow won an MVP or something, I could see it possibly.

I used to think Markakis had an outside chance... but now he has no chance. He's still my favorite Oriole from this era.

I would say Machado has the best chance just because of how young he is. It's hard to assess someone's chances who hasn't even played two complete seasons, although Trout put that to the test last season. 

I know some are completely dismissive of Jones, but I think the scenario that Brown presents and you've sort of mentioned with AJ having a "Bill Mazeroski"-like moment is his best chance. Don't get me wrong, it's unlikely Jones will make the HOF.

Hard to see Markakis having much of a shot.

@levineps

#4 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 25 July 2014 - 04:35 PM

I would say Machado has the best chance just because of how young he is. It's hard to assess someone's chances who hasn't even played two complete seasons, although Trout put that to the test last season. 

I know some are completely dismissive of Jones, but I think the scenario that Brown presents and you've sort of mentioned with AJ having a "Bill Mazeroski"-like moment is his best chance. Don't get me wrong, it's unlikely Jones will make the HOF.

Hard to see Markakis having much of a shot.

There's little doubt that narratives have a lot to do with HoF voting. By the time Jones is up for it, that may change (it should at least, as more analytical minds take over)... but yeah, it's definitely feasible.

#5 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 25 July 2014 - 04:39 PM

I was going to say, remember when Markakis had a shot? Those were the days, huh? :P

Jones has the best chance, I think, with Machado having the most potential for a chance in the future. Jones has a shot at 2,500 hits and 350 homers, will likely get a couple more All-Star appearances and might even see some more Gold Gloves. And, if the Orioles have a big dominant year and he has a good year in the middle of it, maybe an MVP.

@DJ_McCann

#6 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 25 July 2014 - 04:42 PM

Also, don't sell Markakis short. He's eight hits away from 1500, and if he can stay steady in his decline still has an outside shot at 3,000 hits. If he does that, especially if he sticks with the Orioles his whole career and can help them win some hardware...

@DJ_McCann

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=