64 replies to this topic

#41 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 10:12 PM

Some do, some don't. And we aren't just looking at complexes. But a fair amount of the more desirable places don't take cats at all. And an extra $50/month and $500 deposit sucks regardless. I get the extra deposit part, but the extra rent is not cool.

If you owned the floors (or were going to buy them), you'd understand.

Dogs scratch up everything, even if they aren't chewers.  And refinishing the floors costs a couple grand.  Cats are typically only a problem for furniture, not floors or walls, unless they piss.  Cat piss literally cannot be repaired if it's not immediately cleaned up.  It's kryptonite for old houses.  Let cat piss sit for a week on original hardwood floors and you will never, ever, get the stain and damage out without replacing the floor.  Which can destroy your property value since original floors are such a desired feature.

We've got a cat, but if she ever pisses on the floor, she's back on the street where we found her.

#42 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,295 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 30 July 2014 - 10:20 PM

Yeah, which is why I get the deposit. Not so much the rent. Anyway, it's annoying, especially since it's not my cat and she's a rather annoying cat at that.
  • SportsGuy likes this

#43 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,435 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 30 July 2014 - 10:30 PM

Cats. Pets for people who have never heard of a dog.
  • SportsGuy, Adam Wolff, You Play to Win the Game and 4 others like this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#44 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 10:45 PM

I agree, but I'm allergic to cat hair. That makes it pretty easy to not be a fan.

#45 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,667 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 30 July 2014 - 11:20 PM

Craigslist dude.

@fuzydunlop

#46 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 30 July 2014 - 11:21 PM

Maybe they are just charging more because cats suck? :)

#47 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,314 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 11:42 PM

I agree, but I'm allergic to cat hair. That makes it pretty easy to not be a fan.

As someone similarly afflicted, I believe the allergen inducing agent is actually from the saliva.

Go team dog though, depending on the breed.

#48 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 11:45 PM

As someone similarly afflicted, I believe the allergen inducing agent is actually from the saliva.

Go team dog though, depending on the breed.

Interesting. I just assumed it was hair.

#49 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,435 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 30 July 2014 - 11:54 PM

Interesting. I just assumed it was hair.

Nah it's their saliva. When they lick themselves and that becomes dander you are allergic to that. I have a pretty bad cat allergy too.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#50 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,229 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 31 July 2014 - 12:10 AM

Why cats

#51 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 31 July 2014 - 12:26 AM

Some do, some don't. And we aren't just looking at complexes. But a fair amount of the more desirable places don't take cats at all. And an extra $50/month and $500 deposit sucks regardless. I get the extra deposit part, but the extra rent is not cool.

Just from my experience of looking at apartments, glossing through the renting stuff, it seemed like more places had restrictions on pets. Plenty of places restrict certain dog breeds as well. I'm not sure why they charge whether it's real or not in terms of the upkeep or even as a deterrence (probably not since $50 a month won't make or break your decision to live somewhere but it adds up). It could be one of those, they charge because they can.

Personally I'm not much of an animal person (yeah I know I see all the dog people out there). The person in the apartment across from mine has a really annoying cat. 

@levineps

#52 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,462 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 06:34 AM

Real men love cats. But I love dogs too.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#53 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 07:02 AM

I would love to have a dog, but I just can't bring myself to do it in the city. I think its too mean. I love big dogs, labs in particular, have little interest in a dog under 80 lbs, none in one under 40. Even if you walk them several times a day and take them to the dog park, I just don't think you can get a lab the exercise it needs in the city.

Having a big fenced in yard where I can get a lab or two is literally the only reason I'm looking forward to moving to the burbs in 2-3 years. I'd be more comfortable with an infant in the city than a puppy.

#54 Mashed Potatoes

Mashed Potatoes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,996 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 08:02 AM

Girlfriend and she posted it a little earlier. Highlandtown Elementary Middle.<br />

Nice! She's going to be very close to DiPasquale's, so she can look forward to a lot of amazing lunches.

• Mackus likes this
@DaKittenz

#55 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 08:32 AM

Nice! She's going to be very close to DiPasquale's, so she can look forward to a lot of amazing lunches.

I'd have to open a house account if I worked that close.

What Canton/HIghlandtown lacks in top end restaurants (though there are a few), we more than make up in amazing, quick, $10 meal spots.  DiPasquale's, Samo's, Chicken Rico, Tijuana Tacos, Tutti Gusti...some great spots for an inexpensive meal.

#56 KWebz

KWebz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 722 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 04:31 PM

Looking at two places in Ridgley's Delight tomorrow and trying not to get too excited about it or get my hopes up. After Fells Point, Ridgley's Delight is where I would want to live next.

#57 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,462 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 05:56 PM

What's not to love about RD? Close to the stadiums and highways, still quiet...a bit of a walk to get places where there's a lot going on but I'll take it. Good luck.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#58 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,295 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 01 August 2014 - 03:10 PM

A nice row home in RD vs a one bedroom apt on Alicianna not even block from the Broadway Market. Price is similar. Tough call.

#59 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,462 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 03:45 PM

RD.

Close to all those Orioles and Ravens games.

#60 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 01 August 2014 - 03:47 PM

He's a huge Ravens fan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors