64 replies to this topic

#21 KWebz

KWebz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 722 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 11:38 PM

Where'd Kelly get a job?   My whole family is full of teachers. 

Highlandtown Elementary Middle #215 on E Pratt street!

#22 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 27 July 2014 - 06:57 AM

Living in the suburbs is boring, makes you car dependent for everything, has limited high quality bars and restaurants/stuff to do, and you would have to worry about parking even more every time you want to go into the city for anything. No thank you.

But to each their own.

There are plenty of restaurants and bars everywhere. Valets are also wonderful things in the city.

Again, when you have kids and want them to play in a yard, be in better schools, etc...your tune will change.

The going out and drinking all the time phase starts to change as your priorities change.

#23 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 27 July 2014 - 07:31 AM

Btw..what's the difference from being car dependent vs public transportation dependent? Is this an environment thing? Cause you are still relying on something to get you from point A to point B.

#24 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 27 July 2014 - 07:33 AM

Oh and Kelly, said it to Mike in the game thread but congrats on the job. I know that area a little bit. It will be challenging but that's a good thing. And remember, not all city schools have things happen like season 4 of The Wire. :)

#25 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 27 July 2014 - 08:06 AM

Well depending on where specifically we'll live, we will hopefully mostly be reliant on our feet. But cities are better environmentally than urban sprawl. Some suburbs are fine, some even combine city and suburban living. I just wish they weren't as prevalent as they are.

#26 KWebz

KWebz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 722 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 08:08 AM

Btw..what's the difference from being car dependent vs public transportation dependent? Is this an environment thing? Cause you are still relying on something to get you from point A to point B.

Buses and subways are better for the environment because they move more people at a time instead of taking every one person on the bus and putting them in a car. Also nearly all buses (even in Delaware!) are now hybrids while I would say the majority of cars on the road right now are not. So yes, better for the environment for sure. And it's not just public transportation over a car that is nice, but being able to walk or ride a bike to places is also a huge plus.

#27 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 08:16 AM

Again though, I wish Baltimore was stronger in terms of public transportation and a better bike riding city too. Better weather would also be great. So basically I'd like to live in San Diego (not the greatest public transit), but I'll happily settle for BMore.

#28 Mashed Potatoes

Mashed Potatoes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,023 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 08:18 AM

What school is your wife teaching at? (I'm a teacher in the city)

@DaKittenz

#29 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 08:20 AM

Girlfriend and she posted it a little earlier. Highlandtown Elementary Middle.<br />

#30 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,465 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 27 July 2014 - 08:33 AM

Girlfriend and she posted it a little earlier. Highlandtown Elementary Middle.

Rob can hook you up with a nice ring.
  • mweb08 and KWebz like this

#31 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 27 July 2014 - 08:50 AM

What school is your wife teaching at? (I'm a teacher in the city)

Any other teachers on here? -- We got Fishteacher (dead giveaway), Kelly, and you.

@levineps

#32 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,553 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 09:25 AM

Positives and negatives to living in both the suburbs and the city. All depends on what you want out of where you live. I will say though if you rely on transit in Baltimore to get you places regularly, you will be disappointed and frustrated.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#33 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,712 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 09:33 AM

Where'd Kelly get a job?

My whole family is full of teachers. 

Definitely look in Canton or Patterson Park area then. You'll be just blocks away from work.
  • KWebz likes this

#34 KWebz

KWebz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 722 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 09:41 AM

Where'd Kelly get a job?   My whole family is full of teachers. 
Definitely look in Canton or Patterson Park area then. You'll be just blocks away from work.
Yeah that's where we're looking. A little bit of Bolton Hill and Brewer's Hill too and then Mount Vernon for the hipness and more affordable rates.

#35 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 27 July 2014 - 09:45 AM

Congrats Kelly! 

My Wife, Mother, Mother In Law, and Father in law are all teachers... Much respect to all of the teachers. *

*=even Fish. :)

@beginthebegin71

#36 Cisc-O's

Cisc-O's

Back by no demand

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,087 posts
  • LocationFresh Prince of .......

Posted 27 July 2014 - 01:40 PM

Live in the city while you can.  When you start to build a family though your view of city living changes a bit at least for my wife and myself.

<p>I am pretty sure Shack is thinking of PBR.

#37 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 27 July 2014 - 01:45 PM

Live in the city while you can.  When you start to build a family though your view of city living changes a bit at least for my wife and myself.

Yeah have to agree this type view, much like Rob said.

Those same reasons it's great are the reasons it sucks when you have young kids.
@JeremyMStrain

#38 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 09:34 PM

One of the biggest challenges we've been encountering is places not accepting cats or charging more for having one. Annoying.

#39 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 30 July 2014 - 09:53 PM

One of the biggest challenges we've been encountering is places not accepting cats or charging more for having one. Annoying.

Isn't that pretty standard for places to charge more for pets? My complex does.

@levineps

#40 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 10:03 PM

Some do, some don't. And we aren't just looking at complexes. But a fair amount of the more desirable places don't take cats at all. And an extra $50/month and $500 deposit sucks regardless. I get the extra deposit part, but the extra rent is not cool.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=